PDA

View Full Version : Are the GamesDays USA worth it?

Drogmir
14-03-2008, 05:50
Just wondering since I've never been to one.

I'm trying to balance whether I should spend my money on the Los Angeles Games Day ticket or go to the San Diego Comic Con (which I love very much)

decisions.....decisions.... :cries:

snurl
14-03-2008, 07:50
Well you can't play warhammer at ComicCon.

I don't go every year but the times I waent I had a good time.

Konstantin
14-03-2008, 09:41
Hmmm... I'd say ComicCon. Unless it was a French GD, then go there. Their bloody 'young blood' category painters are often on the same level as all other GD golden daemon winners :( It's just not cool..

The Orange
14-03-2008, 18:47
Hard to say as I've never been to a comicon. But I generally feel it's worth it. Why?
1. Gamesday mini, you can sell it to make money back on the ticket, but I just like having a lot of LE minis :p.
2. Free stuff, from the paint and take, to the conversion contests, you can grab quite a horde. My friends and I got 4 free CoD buildings for terrain (well their probably a little smaller then the boxed sets), and a bunch of bits for conversions. Hell my friend even managed to grab a whole Dark Angles upgrade sprue (don't tell the organizers about that though :evilgrin:). In any case, you can easily get tons of cool bits for conversions of your own, it's hard to beat free conversion bits.
3. FW orders. Yea their not cheap, and their's a long line, but you don't have to worry about shipping costs anymore. And IIRC you can order before hand (through e-mail) so you can buy-pass most of the line and just pick up and pay for your goods.
4. LE mini sales. Their mostly the direct order only models now, but again you can avoid the shipping cost usually associated with them.
5. WD deal, yea I'll admit that I have a White Dwarf subscription, as bad as it is, it's the only interesting thing I get in the mail. Anyways, they usually announce a decent WD deal at Gamesday (usually half way through the day). Buy a subscription, get your normal 1 free LE, plus (usually) 2 more LE minis. I got the direct only tech marine last year, forgot what else I got though :confused:.
6. Golden Deamon, you get to see some great minis that GD never show (as they usually focus on the winners only).
7. Sneek Peeks, you usually can see something new at a GD. Last year I managed to grab pics of the new High Elf minis. FW might even show off something new of interest.

Again, I've never been to comicon, so I can't compare. But I like GD, it's a bit laid back, and if you don't plan too much you can easily miss out on many fun things. But if you move your **** you can get quite a few freebies, and you can always play a game against someone too.

Drogmir
14-03-2008, 23:55
Hard to say as I've never been to a comicon. But I generally feel it's worth it. Why?
1. Gamesday mini, you can sell it to make money back on the ticket, but I just like having a lot of LE minis :p.
2. Free stuff, from the paint and take, to the conversion contests, you can grab quite a horde. My friends and I got 4 free CoD buildings for terrain (well their probably a little smaller then the boxed sets), and a bunch of bits for conversions. Hell my friend even managed to grab a whole Dark Angles upgrade sprue (don't tell the organizers about that though :evilgrin:). In any case, you can easily get tons of cool bits for conversions of your own, it's hard to beat free conversion bits.
3. FW orders. Yea their not cheap, and their's a long line, but you don't have to worry about shipping costs anymore. And IIRC you can order before hand (through e-mail) so you can buy-pass most of the line and just pick up and pay for your goods.
4. LE mini sales. Their mostly the direct order only models now, but again you can avoid the shipping cost usually associated with them.
5. WD deal, yea I'll admit that I have a White Dwarf subscription, as bad as it is, it's the only interesting thing I get in the mail. Anyways, they usually announce a decent WD deal at Gamesday (usually half way through the day). Buy a subscription, get your normal 1 free LE, plus (usually) 2 more LE minis. I got the direct only tech marine last year, forgot what else I got though :confused:.
6. Golden Deamon, you get to see some great minis that GD never show (as they usually focus on the winners only).
7. Sneek Peeks, you usually can see something new at a GD. Last year I managed to grab pics of the new High Elf minis. FW might even show off something new of interest.

Again, I've never been to comicon, so I can't compare. But I like GD, it's a bit laid back, and if you don't plan too much you can easily miss out on many fun things. But if you move your **** you can get quite a few freebies, and you can always play a game against someone too.

huh, sorry to say but I'm not too impressed

1. GD mini ok that's probably something
2.Free Swag is also nice
3.FW orders I can make at the LA Battle Bunker, they have a whole back room with the stuff and they don't charge shipping
4.Again BB carries most of th Direct Order stuff for some reason
5.WD deal, with the two year subscription for the price of one I just picked up, I'm not worried.
6.GD My local Hobby Center seems to pick up guys who end up going to the BB mini Golden Deamon and out of them usually at least one ends up as a finalist.
7.Sneak Peaks might be worth it.

blongbling
15-03-2008, 09:36
what about going to play some games and have some fun then?

Orinoco
15-03-2008, 12:07

1. GD mini ok that's probably something
2.Free Swag is also nice
3.FW orders I can make at the LA Battle Bunker, they have a whole back room with the stuff and they don't charge shipping
4.Again BB carries most of th Direct Order stuff for some reason
5.WD deal, with the two year subscription for the price of one I just picked up, I'm not worried.
6.GD My local Hobby Center seems to pick up guys who end up going to the BB mini Golden Deamon and out of them usually at least one ends up as a finalist.
7.Sneak Peaks might be worth it.

everybody takes a million photos of stuff that's on display now. it's not like ten years ago when digital cameras weren't generally available. Go to comicon. much more stuff going on, they do panels and stuff and a lot of stuff happens there nowadays. plus you get plenty of hot girls dressing up and attention whoring. it aint worth the ticket to pick up a few random sprues.

blongbling
15-03-2008, 13:32
thats the attitude.....then there wont be a GD cos noone turns up.....

Templar Ben
15-03-2008, 13:35
Don't we have like 4 in the US anyway?

Rocky44
15-03-2008, 22:16
There are three in the US. I plan on going to the one in Baltimore.

byteboy
16-03-2008, 04:14
Flying to LAX is not enjoyeable. Usually, you could fly into Ontario and drive to where you need to go, taking the I 10 West into Los Angeles. LAX is horrible to fly into/travel around, waaaay too much traffic.

I'd hit the Comicon and oogle all the cosplay girls in their scanty costumes. (or was that the Anime con I am thinking of? )

Drogmir
16-03-2008, 05:21
Yeah I think I'm going to Comic Con, have a costume all set up too to satisfy my inner nerd.

I was just wondering if Games Days were anything as large as the Comic Con for people who have been to both.

Cause Comic Con is pretty freaking huge.

Warboss Antoni
16-03-2008, 15:31
Gamesday is fun. I've been to quite a few, and not only is it real fun, but I usually get my ticket back in free stuff ( last I walked out with all this: 46 NG on Sprue, 10 Orc Boys on Sprue, 20 Empire on Sprue, 5 DA vets on sprue, 10 SM on sprue, Big Mek, Seraphim, Librarian, Immortal ) and also a lot of limited edition stuff that only is there ( FW Pilots, for example ). Add Golden Deamon and all the fun you'll have at things like the big game and speed painting and it's well worth the $40. Bring along freinds if you can - it's even more fun.

Mr. Smuckles
16-03-2008, 15:39
It's just a short trip for me down to GD Balty and I've been attending semi-regularly since I was a lad in high school, so I think that it's worth it.

Beyond all the free ****/odds-and-ends provided by the con staff you get to see a lot of other people's armies and most fellow attendees are quite chatty. I've picked up more hobby tips just walking up to random fellows and asking them how they made a particular unit look so great.

Wargamming is a social hobby, and the GDUS events for me have always been an extension of this. IMHO it's worth it just to get together with a massive number of fellow plastic crack addicts, no matter how wretched our collective smell.

Joewrightgm
16-03-2008, 16:21
I went to the Chicago games day, my first one ever, and I'm going to be going again because I just enjoyed myself.

I spent most of my time walking around, just doing the hang thing, and I had a ball. The seminars for new products and the fact that I got to meet Dan Abnett (I mean the guy was just sitting at the black library table! How cool is that?) and have an interesting conversation with the guy was neat.

I'd definitly say it was worth it overall. Especially for the access to FW and the LE minis that aren't readily available through mail order or the stores.

Templar Ben
16-03-2008, 17:43
No one said GD wasn't fun. Just that it is not as fun as Comic Con. Comic Con is an industry wide event that is huge. Adult Swim even shows up. Games Day is a convention that one company has because they don't want to go to the other gaming conventions. Just understand the difference in scale. To put it in other terms, a local tourney to Games Day is how Games Day is to Comic Con. He can only pick one and he has chosen wisely.

Tyron
16-03-2008, 18:55
GD is very repetitive and crowded and I (like most people) don't want to be bodily rubbed by sweaty man boobs :evilgrin:. Also the cues are really long and you have to be extremely quick to by what you want.

Like the others have said about CC I agree with and since when did GD ever have hot show girls? :p

PrinnySquad
16-03-2008, 22:09
I was thinking about going to the UK one this year- not sure when its on, but it's at the NEC which isn't too far to get my parents to give me a lift :P.

kishvier
16-03-2008, 22:15
I was wondering, I live some where in the US and Wondered, do they ever have GD's in New York, Pennsylvania, of Vermont, or Virginia? All I hear about it Los Angeles and a few other places over and over and over and over.

Templar Ben
16-03-2008, 22:21
I think it is LA, Baltimore, and Chicago.

PhonelessInAtl
16-03-2008, 22:25
as much as i hate to betray GW, comic con sounds like it could be the sweeter deal. not much trumps hawt cosplay girls ;)

on a similar note:
R.I.P. GD atlanta, we hardly knew yee....

Archaon
16-03-2008, 23:31
If they're anything like the german GD.. go to ComicCon!

Big crowds of gamers that push into very direction often clogging the main walkways (especially if there's something to see).

Questionable hygiene.. even worse if it's a hot summer

Nice GD minis but usually there are so many people around the displays you can't look at them in detail or at peace.. there's always some idiot pushing and shoving you (and you get many pictures of the minis anyway from people with Digicams a day or two later)

No money saving deals.. 'nuff said

Too few goodies

The new stuff (rumors, pictures) is on the net within hours

For some the cost is also adding.. driving to the GD and entry costs

Long queues in front of the interesting stands (new minis, Forgeworld, GD entrys etc)

Go see one and you have seen them all.. personally getting a LE miniature isn't worth it to me. In prior times they limited it to one per person but this barrier usually falls later in the day when they still have a ton of minis and not many new people are coming around to pick one up. I usually ask some friend to bring one if it interests me and i always got it (or you could Ebay it.. still cheaper than the GD ticket and driving costs).

And the big disqualifier.. the whole "Waaaaaaaagh" hyperactive GW sales staff running around like they drank too much coffee and slipped some colored pills. Honestly.. i once came close to punching a GW employee costumed as an Orc because he repeatedly yelled Waaagh at me and made semi-threatening "orcish" moves at me even when i asked him to stop.

The Orange
17-03-2008, 08:18

Well I wasen't trying to impress you :rolleyes:, just help you make your mind up.

everybody takes a million photos of stuff that's on display now. it's not like ten years ago when digital cameras weren't generally available.
Yet not to many warseers post pics from from GDLA. It's strange, but I think I and maybe one other person actually have posted pics from previous GDLA's.

Vaktathi
17-03-2008, 09:24
Just wondering since I've never been to one.

I'm trying to balance whether I should spend my money on the Los Angeles Games Day ticket or go to the San Diego Comic Con (which I love very much)

decisions.....decisions.... :cries:

Go to Comic-Con. It's a big 4 day event with all sorts of cool stuff from tabletop games to movies, anime, books, comics (of course) and all that schwag, and you can do all the cool stuff in downtown SD within a half hour walk. I've gone every year for the last 10, and they have all been great. the GD would be cool, but its basically just sneak peak stuff and a tourney and the chance to buy FW stuff. You'll see all the stuff the same day in the Rumor forum, the FW stuff you can buy online, the only thing you really will miss out on is the games themselves.

Drogmir
17-03-2008, 15:14
Go to Comic-Con. It's a big 4 day event with all sorts of cool stuff from tabletop games to movies, anime, books, comics (of course) and all that schwag, and you can do all the cool stuff in downtown SD within a half hour walk. I've gone every year for the last 10, and they have all been great. the GD would be cool, but its basically just sneak peak stuff and a tourney and the chance to buy FW stuff. You'll see all the stuff the same day in the Rumor forum, the FW stuff you can buy online, the only thing you really will miss out on is the games themselves.

I know what to expect from Comic Con, I've been going there for around 5 years now.

Just trying to figure out if GD is even remotely the same.