PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings Cavalry

LordBadgash
14-03-2008, 04:52
Hi!

What is the best way to use Tomb King Cavalry?

Heavy or Light? I was thinking of using a unit of 6 light horsemen with bows and/or spears but are they too frail to do anything?

Are they best used as flankers or bait?

Or is a unit of 8 with full command, spears and shields the way to go?

Thank you!!!

edit:
I can post a rough Idea of my list if that would help...

GodHead
14-03-2008, 06:29
I use a unit of 8 Light cav as a distraction/baiting unit. It's only marginally useful, and a lot of people will call me ugly names for taking the unit, but it's saved my bacon more than once.

Just 2 days ago they forced a unit of Blood Knights to overrun into a forest. It took them 2 turns to get out and let me get a flank charge off with a Tomb Scorpion (which snipped the head off of one of them before getting beaten all to hell in the next turn).

In an army that is so ridiculously static, they can be a real boon against heavy cavalry or quick moving units.

I would avoid Heavy Cav because there is nothing offensive they can do that Chariots can't do better, and nothing defensive they can do that Skeletons can't do better.

najo
14-03-2008, 06:44
I use the "heavy" (medium) cavalry.

With restoring wounds, movement spells, attacking spells and a warbanner. I run 10 of them with full command. They are fast, easy to keep alive and they hit hard enough that they make a good supporting unit for flankingor running down foot troops without characters.

*SQUEE*
14-03-2008, 13:49
I keep trying the Heavy Cav and find them to be quite limited and not really worth the points. I love light Cavalry and take two 5 man units almost every game. In one of my units I put a Lich with a boomstick and this unit always makes back its points.

LordBadgash
14-03-2008, 14:21
Cool ideas so far. I think I might go with a 6 man unit for supporting the chariots by using the horsemen to flank/negate ranks.

So in the movement phase I charge with the chariots and in the magic phase I use Incantations to get the horsemen into the flank.

I'll try that out and see how it works.

What's a boomstick? ;p

Eigilb
14-03-2008, 14:39
I never field any Cav (Light or Heavy). IMO the heavy cav are weak compared to the price, and wont pack the punch to make up for the lack of ranks. And if you field them in ranks they become too expensive IMO.
But small units are probably effective for flank charges, never really had success with it though, I prefer to use my magic on getting some more heavy charges, so I would only charge with these guys if I had some left over Magic, which is rarely the case.

And the Light cav.... Which have all the advantages the light cav should have.... or?
The can't march (unless you use movement spells on them, which I would consider a waste unless theyīre able to charge a lonely character) and they canīt flee, 14pts.

I canīt see any use of the cav in the Tk army, everthing both heavy and light does, the chariots do better.

Mazdug
14-03-2008, 15:57
I'm not going to insult anyone for using any of the cav, but I've never been able to fit them in pointwise, they just don't fill a role that something else can't do better. I think they are kinda like the bone giant. I want to use them. I think they should have a place in the army. I have the models. And yet unless they release a new army book changing them dramatically, they will never see the table top, since chariots are better (and in the case of the bone giant, screaming skull catapults and the casket of souls are better).

GodHead
14-03-2008, 16:25
See, I think the role that they fulfill is to use Light Cav purely as charge redirectors. There is really nothing else in the list you can use to bait charges. Yes it's an expensive and suicidal use to be sure, but I certainly find them useful to direct things I don't want to deal with (yet) away from my main line.

Tarpits can only stand up to so much at a time, so if you can stagger the enemy, they generally do better. I use the cav to do that, and while they're not ideal because they can't march (the whole army is not ideal because of that...) they often work rather well.

Hawkmoon
16-03-2008, 02:19
I field an all M7 or higher army (Lgt & Hvy Cav, Chariots, Scorps and Carrion) and I find the Heavy cav an invaluable holding unit for my chariots to maneuver around.

I often field a solid block of 15, offensively they don't do cr@p but that's not their job that's what my chariots are for. What they do is hold units in place and allow me to outnumber things so I get an autobreak.

But I agree with the consensus that skeletons are a much better value, were I to field a more infantry based army I would probably not field Hvy Cav at all.

Lgt Cav on the other hand are a useful unit no matter what your army composition. From on the spot shooting, to march blocking, to baiting and diversion lgt cav is one of the best values in the TK list.

Oh, and by Boomstick I assume he means the staff of ravening. I use the same tactic and it's quite good.

Cragspyder
17-03-2008, 00:50
I canīt see any use of the cav in the Tk army, everthing both heavy and light does, the chariots do better.

Well, Light/Heavy Cav can help fill Core Choices in a HLP list, and they are much cheaper to throw away to divert or redirect something as opposed to a unit of chariots (50/40 point difference compared to a mimimum unit of chariots).

I make heavy use of Horsemen in my own list (though admittedly I do not win all that often as well!). Even if you were to exclude Heavy Horsemen (admittedly they are probably the worst thing in the list), Light Horsemen still have plenty of uses, including protection from shooting for a mounted LP, crossfire, war machine hunting, Skink-hunting, etc.

Makaber
17-03-2008, 01:16
I'm pretty sure that Heavy Cav ain't as bad as everybody claims. They're less than twice as expensive as a skeleton, but hits twice as hard, moves twice as fast, and has the same US. Sure they're about as easy to kill, but a unit of four doesn't really cost a fortune, either. Hell, throw a smiting on them and they'll churn out a good 20 attacks a round, horses and steeds combined.

I'd imagine they really show their worth in a list without a king, that's somewhere between 2000 and 3000 points, where you can afford a couple of extra units, and don't want the chariots to claim all your Special slots. In such a setup, they provide a sort of "Chariot Light" alternative for a fast, offensive unit.

Cragspyder
17-03-2008, 01:29
All I know is that no matter how many attacks I get with my Heavy Horsemen they always get the same number of kills: 0. :(

I use 3 units, one 10 model unit with full command and BOTUL, one of 6 in a 3 X 3 formation to add US to combats, and one 5 man unit underground using the Banner of the Hidden Dead.

I have had a couple of good results, the 5 man unit and the Icon Bearer managed to charge 20 Miners coming in from off board in the rear and run them down, and as I recall the 10 Man unit managed to break 15 Chosen Warriors (flank charge) and then overrun into 15 normal Warriors (another flank) and kill them too, but most of the time they are very good at losing combats that you'd think they could win :) In the front it seems they are nearly hopeless, especially vs. anything T 4 or anything with a 4+ or better save.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
18-03-2008, 00:25
I think that light are way better. With their arrows adn the fast cav they are more versatile. heavy cave get owned by reavers... they are not heavy cav... They are an intermediate that i dont feel perform as well on the battle field.

LordBadgash
18-03-2008, 23:03
Some great insight here so far, thanks to everyone!

Thought I'd post my list to see how the Horsemen fit into the army;

2000 points

Tomb King
-Golden Ankrah
-Vambraces of Defense
-Great Weapon

Liche Priest

Liche Priest
-Cloak of Dunes
-Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest

Liche Priest
-Casket of Souls
-Dispell Scroll

23 Skeleton Warriors (Led by King and Priest)
-Full comnd
-hw and shield

24 Skeletons (Led by Priest)
-Full comnd
-hw and shield

3 Chariots
-Spears and bows
-Standard and Musician
-Mirage Standard

6 Light Horsemen
-hw and bow

2 tomb Swarms

3 Ushabti

1 Tomb Scorpion

1 Screaming Skull Catapult
-Skulls of the Foe

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _

I am thinking about changing the Tomb King to a Tomb Prince and using the points to add 3 Carrion to hunt warmachines, divert charges and bait enemies.

The main idea is the 2 skelly units are tarpits and will hopefully be supported by the chariots, Ushabti and Horsemen to defeat and outnumber enemy units and cause autobreak due to fear.

The casket and catapult will hopefully inflict enough damage on enemy support units to render them useless.

thanks!

Badbones777
19-03-2008, 03:36
I think that light are way better. With their arrows adn the fast cav they are more versatile. heavy cave get owned by reavers... they are not heavy cav... They are an intermediate that i dont feel perform as well on the battle field.

True but they are heavy cav in the sense of a) when they were alive, they were about as heavy as cav COULD get if you didnt wanna roast to death in the desert heat, and b) there heavier than the light cav! Myself, I quite like the TK cav. True, they are by no means the best unit, but they can sort of provide a skirmish role the army lacks (at least the light ones can) and the eavy cav can be quite good when they charge what with there Str 4 spears and rank bonus. And at least we've cav that will never run away I guess! You can also charge tough things with em as there more survivable than chariots in a protracted combat-if chariots DONT break methig when they charge, bad things happen as they just dont have the numbers, ranks or number of attacks across the same frontage available to cavalry in a drwn out combat.

Theyre fluffy too!:)

najo
19-03-2008, 06:24
I'm pretty sure that Heavy Cav ain't as bad as everybody claims. They're less than twice as expensive as a skeleton, but hits twice as hard, moves twice as fast, and has the same US. Sure they're about as easy to kill, but a unit of four doesn't really cost a fortune, either. Hell, throw a smiting on them and they'll churn out a good 20 attacks a round, horses and steeds combined.

I'd imagine they really show their worth in a list without a king, that's somewhere between 2000 and 3000 points, where you can afford a couple of extra units, and don't want the chariots to claim all your Special slots. In such a setup, they provide a sort of "Chariot Light" alternative for a fast, offensive unit.

This is how I use them. I play more often with a High Liche Priest and a Tomb Prince. I rarely use chariots. I have found that my heavy cavalry have won me more games then nearly any other unit when supported with the high priest to gaurantee their movement and extra attacks. Very nasty.

Most people use Tomb Kings with Destroyer of Eternities. I am more of a High Priest with Koeptic Jar, Cloak of Dunes, etc. Run the heavy cavalry with a tomb scorpion or a bone giant as a flanking force with a High priest, very scary stuff.

I finished reading the thread, and I am really surprised people are so negative on these cavalry. I recommend trying a veyr magic heavy army and use the heavy cav in place of the chariots. It makes the tomb kings play in a more vampire counts with warmachine way. Its intense, very fluid and mobile army with nearly unstoppable magic.

Draik the red
19-03-2008, 09:26
See, I think the role that they fulfill is to use Light Cav purely as charge redirectors. There is really nothing else in the list you can use to bait charges. Yes it's an expensive and suicidal use to be sure, but I certainly find them useful to direct things I don't want to deal with (yet) away from my main line.

Tarpits can only stand up to so much at a time, so if you can stagger the enemy, they generally do better. I use the cav to do that, and while they're not ideal because they can't march (the whole army is not ideal because of that...) they often work rather well.

A couple of things, How can you use light cav as charge redirectors if ALL undead must hold as a charge reaction. I thought that the only way to redirect a charge was to flee with your light cavlary.

Also, what's a tarpit? Can people stop using words like "boomstick" and "tarpit" and use the proper names for things please.

Eigilb
19-03-2008, 10:22
Comments on your army Badgash:

Iīd say that the TK skellies are too expensive to use as tarpit units, especially if you take two units, imo thats overkill. Myself i use a single unit of 20, they will hold up almost anything the same way 25 skellies would, anyway, thats my experinence. To save points for more usefull units or combos I only use A standard in my tarpits, becuase lets face it, skellies never kill anything, and neither does their champions, and the musicsian won help them rally, It would rearly cause a victory instead of a tie, but I can live that, it have happend once or twice in my +65 TK battles.

Second. I would never put my Priests in a closecombat unit, if your skellies get charged he is stuck, and will prob get a lot of attackes directed on him because of his value og lack of armour.
Instead, I mount my liche on a steed and put him in some one of my 2-3x10 archers or in a small light cav unit, remeber you are allowed to put mounted charaters in inf units, and that way your liche will be able to get out of the way faster if the archers were to be charged, faster than if he were on foot anyway.

I use a HLP instead of TK in my army, and ofcourse this is 100% a matter of taster. But when you only use 3 special slots, and have a chariot unit as core, try and exchange your TK for a TP, and use a HLP with Cloak of dunes of Neferraīs Plaques or Heirtic jer.

Last, I use Icon of the sacred Eye on my Chariots with my TP with the flail of skulls. This combo Win Battles!
I get sad if a get to charge a Ws5 unit with my chariots, which they often will since they are the elite in the TK army, because they only hit in +5, but the Icon of the Sacred eye makes up for that, and if you face ws4 or less everything hits on +3, that's a lot of hits!.
And when you have a TP in the same unit, he will most likely hit on +3 or +2 most of the time. And this is where the Flail of skulls makes its worth even against Rank and File units. Challange is the keyword here. If the unit has a unit champion or hero choise challange it (ps. this could backfire if the hero champ has decent wardsave, so know your enemy!) see the flail of skulls deal up to 6 wounds!

Well I just got carried away there, and Iīm sorry if I got rude somewhere in there, I'm just trying to help :)
Away this is how i work my army, and it's your choise how you work your.
Thanks for reading.

Badbones777
19-03-2008, 16:13
Comments on your army Badgash:

Iīd say that the TK skellies are too expensive to use as tarpit units, especially if you take two units, imo thats overkill. Myself i use a single unit of 20, they will hold up almost anything the same way 25 skellies would, anyway, thats my experinence. To save points for more usefull units or combos I only use A standard in my tarpits, becuase lets face it, skellies never kill anything, and neither does their champions, and the musicsian won help them rally, It would rearly cause a victory instead of a tie, but I can live that, it have happend once or twice in my +65 TK battles.

Second. I would never put my Priests in a closecombat unit, if your skellies get charged he is stuck, and will prob get a lot of attackes directed on him because of his value og lack of armour.
Instead, I mount my liche on a steed and put him in some one of my 2-3x10 archers or in a small light cav unit, remeber you are allowed to put mounted charaters in inf units, and that way your liche will be able to get out of the way faster if the archers were to be charged, faster than if he were on foot anyway.

I use a HLP instead of TK in my army, and ofcourse this is 100% a matter of taster. But when you only use 3 special slots, and have a chariot unit as core, try and exchange your TK for a TP, and use a HLP with Cloak of dunes of Neferraīs Plaques or Heirtic jer.

Last, I use Icon of the sacred Eye on my Chariots with my TP with the flail of skulls. This combo Win Battles!
I get sad if a get to charge a Ws5 unit with my chariots, which they often will since they are the elite in the TK army, because they only hit in +5, but the Icon of the Sacred eye makes up for that, and if you face ws4 or less everything hits on +3, that's a lot of hits!.
And when you have a TP in the same unit, he will most likely hit on +3 or +2 most of the time. And this is where the Flail of skulls makes its worth even against Rank and File units. Challange is the keyword here. If the unit has a unit champion or hero choise challange it (ps. this could backfire if the hero champ has decent wardsave, so know your enemy!) see the flail of skulls deal up to 6 wounds!

Well I just got carried away there, and Iīm sorry if I got rude somewhere in there, I'm just trying to help :)
Away this is how i work my army, and it's your choise how you work your.
Thanks for reading.

Then youve clearly never had your opponents Khornate Lord with Khornate chosen cause so many casualties that a 30 strong unit simply goes 'pop' thanks to combat res! In any game bigger than 3k I take all my Infantry units at max size of 40- it guarantees fear works at full effect, and makes them more effective tarpits. 20 really isnt that difficult an amount of skellies to wipe out with combat res, though this is digressing someowhat from the point of the thread. That said, I believe TK cav to be more resilient than chariots in a drawn out combat for this very reason, as I mentioned earlier.

LordBadgash
19-03-2008, 17:08
Eigilb,

Great comments! I appreciate and welcome constructive criticism, that's why I bothered to post my list!

I'm gonna do some retooling and post another list soon.

I really like the idea of the tomb prince in the chariot.

I also face some armies with heavy shooting/magic (when I get the odd chance to play) and that's why I bumped the units up from 20 to 25.

I use the skelly champions to accept challenges so the Liche priests don't have to fight. People don't usually direct attatcks at him, and it would be 1 or 2 regular attacks if they do. If I suffers a wound, I'd just use magic to heal.

I'm thinking about removing the musician from the chariots unit.

I might play with the idea of using a high Liche Priest...

I dunno how I feel about mounted Liches in my small light cavalry unit.

Thanks again!

This is turning into some really helpful discussion...

Badbones777
19-03-2008, 17:40
Eigilb,

Great comments! I appreciate and welcome constructive criticism, that's why I bothered to post my list!

I'm gonna do some retooling and post another list soon.

I really like the idea of the tomb prince in the chariot.

I also face some armies with heavy shooting/magic (when I get the odd chance to play) and that's why I bumped the units up from 20 to 25.

I use the skelly champions to accept challenges so the Liche priests don't have to fight. People don't usually direct attatcks at him, and it would be 1 or 2 regular attacks if they do. If I suffers a wound, I'd just use magic to heal.

I'm thinking about removing the musician from the chariots unit.

I might play with the idea of using a high Liche Priest...

I dunno how I feel about mounted Liches in my small light cavalry unit.

Thanks again!

This is turning into some really helpful discussion...

Ive used a mounted priest with my light cavalry with fairly mixed success. On the one hand, cos the unit has a guy witht them who cancast incantations, it allows them to range ahead of the body of the main army and fulfill a skirmish/fast cav role that is usually denied them due to no march moves. On the other hand the unit can be isolated and neutralised with judicious and applied dispelling by the enemy, and you are taking a vital, precious, spell caster away from the body of the army, where arguably he is most needed. Im thinking of experimenting with maybe using my mounted priest as a lone rider, but perhaps too vulnerable to warmachines? Anyone tried this?

fubukii
19-03-2008, 17:58
I think tomb king heavy cav arent bad, they basically skels with us2,a extra attack, a better save vs shooting and faster. They can be useful in big blocks (15ish) but by no means are they amazing.

Eigilb
19-03-2008, 20:13
Im thinking of experimenting with maybe using my mounted priest as a lone rider, but perhaps too vulnerable to warmachines? Anyone tried this?

I always put one of my liches on a steed with the Staff of raving (This baby downs shaggoths and bloks of t3 units when the rolls are on your side, priceless), to get more fire power and to force the enemy to use dices before my HLP starts casting.
I switch between deploying him alone or in a fast cav unit for more protection.
If i'm against armies with little or no firepower i deploy him alone, but this way he stands no chance against surpises IF MM ect.
And inside the unit of fastcav for more protection, and a little more firepower - This unit have devastating shooting if it's not nesacary to move them, 7 arrows, staff of raveing, and d6 st4 MM from the liche.
I've had a lot of succes with this combo, even though itīs fragile if shot at.

Then youve clearly never had your opponents Khornate Lord with Khornate chosen cause so many casualties that a 30 strong unit simply goes 'pop' thanks to combat res! In any game bigger than 3k I take all my Infantry units at max size of 40- it guarantees fear works at full effect, and makes them more effective tarpits. 20 really isnt that difficult an amount of skellies to wipe out with combat res, though this is digressing someowhat from the point of the thread. That said, I believe TK cav to be more resilient than chariots in a drawn out combat for this very reason, as I mentioned earlier.

True. But I have never played any games bigger than 2500pts either, and IMO skellies excel in bloks of 20(sometimes 25) in these games.
On they other hand, if I should encounter such frenzied hammers, I'd glady sacrafice my light cav to keep them out of the way, but thatīs a whole different story;)

Eigilb
19-03-2008, 20:15
BTW Badgash. Looking forward to see your new list

Badbones777
20-03-2008, 00:51
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitley give it a go. I'm also thinking of shaving maybe 10 men off each of my skelly units, and havin 4x30, for more tactical flexibilty

True. But I have never played any games bigger than 2500pts either, and IMO skellies excel in bloks of 20(sometimes 25) in these games.
On they other hand, if I should encounter such frenzied hammers, I'd glady sacrafice my light cav to keep them out of the way, but thatīs a whole different story;)
True. If I go the 4x 30 units, then at least when my opponent goes through one hterell be another, almost as big! :p. And yes indeed, in games under 3k, I too find 20-25 are about perfect size for combat regiments of skeleton warriors.

Cragspyder
20-03-2008, 02:09
Bad idea to go 4X30, you don't get any rank bonuses for 4 wide anymore.

Don't do it :)

najo
20-03-2008, 07:07
My army basically has 2 liche priests, 1 high priest, 1 tomb prince, staff of ravening, banner of undying legion, casket of skulls.

That gives me essentially 8 bound spells, 2 w/ 2d6 casting values, 1 w/ 2 x 3d6 casting values. No miscasting. This magic is very consistent. Mixed with those spells being able to be any of the four available to Tomb King liche priests is amazing. This is basically equal to 13 power dice (including the banner, staff and tomb price).

This sort of casting with a skull catapult (deployed near the casket), carrion, heavy cav, bone giant or ustabi (dpending on taste), some tomb scorpions, a large unit of bowmen, and then some solid infantry and a nice sized unit of tomb gaurd (with the prince in it armed up well) is a very flexible and tactical army. The magic asynergizes with the whole army, and your opponent doesn't know where your army is going to strike from in the magic phase.

Without the high liche priest, the army loses this power. It becomes a more combat focused less magic, more a head in sort of army. This is where chariots and a tomb king thrive.

When playing an army like this, make sure to give the High Liche Priest the Kopetic Jar. A surprise, nearly gauranted 3d6 casting value spell at the end of the magic phase is very useful. Just fish out the dispell scrolls before then.

Spider
20-03-2008, 09:12

Didn't he mean 4 units of 30?

*SQUEE*
20-03-2008, 12:39
My army normally looks like this.

King in Chariot tooled up for damage no defence.

3 Chariots with +1 to hit banner (King goes in here)

4 Chariots

10 Skeleton Bowman

10 Skeleton Bowman

Catapult with Skulls of the foe

4 Ushabti

5 Light Cav

5 Light Cav

Priest with staff of Ravening (goes with light cav) this thing is worth twice its points.

Priest with 2 scrolls

Priest with 4+ward

I am 21-1 with this army and love the way it plays. It has almost zero staying power and works with magic charging the chariots and Ushabti. I try to keep the light Cav Priest close to the king for support and to keep his flanks clear of pesky things.

wolsey
20-03-2008, 15:06
As usual people are saying a troop type is bad because they use it in the wrong situations. Perhaps the heavy cavalry title has confused everyone but obviously if you use them to try and smash an opponents battle line a la grail knights etc they ll die (again) and you re quite right that they're not as good as skeleton infantry at being skeleton infantry funny that. Skeleton heavy cavalry are light cavalry and by this I mean that they support the heavy cavalry i.e. chariots by threatening flanks, destroying shooting troops, detachments, weakened enemy infantry units etc. The other key point is that as with everything else in the tomb king army they must be used in conjuction with other units to get the most out of them.

I personally use a unit of 15 heavy cavalry with the banner of the undying legion and have found them incredibly effective because opponents generally underestimate their capabilities. I often combine their charge with that of a tomb scorpion or indeed a bone giant; the construct provides the kills while the horse provide rank bonus, standard and most importantly outnumber and auto break.

If you are going to use heavy cavalry the key things are to understand what they are capable of and how they will combine with the rest of your army list They may not suit everyone but they are perfectly good troops if used correctly.

Eigilb
20-03-2008, 20:11
My army normally looks like this.

King in Chariot tooled up for damage no defence.

3 Chariots with +1 to hit banner (King goes in here)

4 Chariots

10 Skeleton Bowman

10 Skeleton Bowman

Catapult with Skulls of the foe

4 Ushabti

5 Light Cav

5 Light Cav

Priest with staff of Ravening (goes with light cav) this thing is worth twice its points.

Priest with 2 scrolls

Priest with 4+ward

I am 21-1 with this army and love the way it plays. It has almost zero staying power and works with magic charging the chariots and Ushabti. I try to keep the light Cav Priest close to the king for support and to keep his flanks clear of pesky things.

What Kind of opponentes have you been facing with this army? Iīm asking because I have only won once or twice back when i fielded the TK, and I was playing agasint WE, Beasts, ogres and LM in my gaming group. And I was playing ALOT against them.
Ps. I only Fielded the TK in the first 3 months I was playing TK, never since.

cuc_maluco
21-03-2008, 21:39
I don't know if I'm too late but here it goes. I play with O&G but before my army was ready i played with a TK army bowered(?) by a friend.

Heavy cavalary sucks because they are too expensive
I remember using 2 units of 6 light cavalry with bow no command at all.

I played like 5 games with them and they were always an helpful force, they are very good to flanking and shooting :D

The idea of a prince in chariot is very very good, i have used it sometimes too. Try it before you say no because can be helpful :D

Badbones777
26-03-2008, 02:18

Sorry, I wasnt clear, I meant, take 4 units OF 30 skellies rather than 3 units of 40. Also, side note, I dont think you CAN go 4 wide anymore, pretty sure the minimum is 5.

LordBadgash
26-03-2008, 16:46
Hey all!

Here's my new list, just tweaked a little.

The real question is wether or not to demote the King to a Prince and use the points for more troops.

Tomb King on Chariot
-light & shield
-Spear
-Chariot of Fire
-Golden Ankrah

Liche Priest (Heirophant)
-Casket of Souls

Liche
-Cloak of Dunes
-Hieratic Jar

Liche

CORE:

3 Chariots (4 with King)
-Standard Bearer
-Mirage Standard

2 x 24 Skeleton Warriors (each led by a Liche)
-HW & Shield
-Full CMND

6 Skeleton Light Horsemen
-HW & bows

SPECIAL:

4 Ushabti

1 Tomb Scorpion

RARE:

-Skulls of the foe

1 Casket of Souls
(points included with Heirophant Liche)

TOTAL:

Strategy is pretty much the same except that the chariot unit is a lot more formidable and can deal with threats on its own allowing the horsemen and ushabti to support the Skeleton units.

weareinalotoftroublebeale
26-03-2008, 16:54
Sorry, I wasnt clear, I meant, take 4 units OF 30 skellies rather than 3 units of 40. Also, side note, I dont think you CAN go 4 wide anymore, pretty sure the minimum is 5.

Yes it is 5 wide if you want to get the rank bonuses. 4 wide is in the old edition. I learnt this the hard way when my 40 strong stormvermin where in ranks of 4 and my opponent and myself didn't realise I got no rank bonuses untill my mate nosed around and pointed it out. Too late was already in combat!

Thanks,

Beale

Badbones777
27-03-2008, 01:10
Yes it is 5 wide if you want to get the rank bonuses. 4 wide is in the old edition. I learnt this the hard way when my 40 strong stormvermin where in ranks of 4 and my opponent and myself didn't realise I got no rank bonuses untill my mate nosed around and pointed it out. Too late was already in combat!

Thanks,

Beale

Without meaning to stray off topic, how do they work out? My other amy is Skaven, and ive got a total of about 4.5-5k, and just about the only thing I DONT have is Storm Vermin. I too tend to meet the maximum unit size if its capped (at least in games over 3k, anyway) so id be interested to know how you got on with them. A side bonus would be I'd be able to take my Queek in really big games!:p

Von Wibble
28-03-2008, 15:11
Hey all!

Here's my new list, just tweaked a little.

The real question is wether or not to demote the King to a Prince and use the points for more troops.

Tomb King on Chariot
-light & shield
-Spear
-Chariot of Fire
-Golden Ankrah

Liche Priest (Heirophant)
-Casket of Souls

Liche
-Cloak of Dunes
-Hieratic Jar

Liche

CORE:

3 Chariots (4 with King)
-Standard Bearer
-Mirage Standard

2 x 24 Skeleton Warriors (each led by a Liche)
-HW & Shield
-Full CMND

6 Skeleton Light Horsemen
-HW & bows

SPECIAL:

4 Ushabti

1 Tomb Scorpion

RARE:

-Skulls of the foe

1 Casket of Souls
(points included with Heirophant Liche)

TOTAL:

Strategy is pretty much the same except that the chariot unit is a lot more formidable and can deal with threats on its own allowing the horsemen and ushabti to support the Skeleton units.

Do not give the hierophant the casket - make the hierophant the other LP instead. Since the casket is already easier to target and eliminate (especially compared to a flier), having all your army crumble on top is an additional unnecessary risk.

Any reason for a spear rather than flail on the TK? - basically the flail is +2S in first round whether you charge or not, whils the spear is +1S on charge...

On topic of cavalry, both units have their uses. Light cav give a bit of shooting but are mainly for baiting. They can't have spears as the OP seems to think though. "Heavy" cav can act as a poor mans chariot in armies led by a lhp - the aim being to charge an enemy in the side or example. A unit of 10 provides M8 US20 for a reasonable price. They can also bait but since the light cav are cheaper and can shoot they are preffered in this role.

LordBadgash
05-04-2008, 05:56
Regarding my army list, should I ditch the Tomb King and replace him with a Tomb Prince?

With the points, I was thinking of adding 2 bases of Tomb Swarms to ambush enemy missle fire. What do you think?

What are your thoughts on having a Prince in a chariot unit?

And finally, Is the casket of souls worth it in this list? I could get another unit of Cavalry with the points?

The army is only 70 models, is that enough?

Thanks again!

adreal
06-04-2008, 12:15
Personally, when I used my TK I used to always use a unit of atleast 8 heavy cav (might have been ten not sure), and they always used to do me well, place them on a lfank with a liche and they worked wonders (even killed a saurus block (15 full command) in a round) ok sure alot of it is luck, but I feel that TK heavy cav can shine, so don't rule them out.

Tomb Kings in chariots are beasts, I usually give mine golden ankrha (the 4+ ward), enchanted shield, light armour, chariot of fire and a great weapon, work wonders for me, and a unit of three with him and happy days indeed.

.:NOTE:. all examples are from 6th edition, havn't played fantasy in a good long time, and I have insane amounts of luck with my tomb kings