PDA

View Full Version : skorne for vamps?

Negafex
14-03-2008, 18:11
is it just me or do all the skorne (non-monsters) resemble our current vampires? especially mannfred

http://www.privateerpress.com/HORDES/gallery/default.php?level=collection&id=3

Feefait
14-03-2008, 19:03
In all fairness to Privateer they have way more original sculpts and better looking models. Plus the Skorne have been out a lot longer then the current vamps. IMO GW is doing it's best to try to keep up and no longer leading the industry in quality of minis. I have been drooling over the Skorne and wanting to do Hordes for a while so i may be biased. but I have alos done Confron and their minis are in another league to GW. At least the old metal ones were. I don't think Hordes are far behind.

Dux Ducis
14-03-2008, 23:24
Damn they are fine models! I'd love to use some of those infantry as my vamps on foot with two hand weapons.

Sleazy
14-03-2008, 23:34
I recently painted Hexeris...its a superb mini. I have bought a Skorne force to go with it, I really like the titans too.

IronBrother
14-03-2008, 23:56
The Skorne stuff is nice, and it would make for a very cool vampire. Isn't that what they are anyway?

mistformsquirrel
15-03-2008, 00:23
Nope,

Its kinda hard to explain (and I'm not a Hordes player yet so my info is pretty basic anyway); but Skorne are essentially a highly aggressive and warlike race that conquered a previous elven civilization and now has created its own empire on top of the rubble. They have a lot of Samurai-like qualities in that their people are pretty regimented and hierarchical, combat is seen as a test of honor and devotion; and ancestors are worshiped instead of gods. (Skorne take pride in their title of being called "Godless" by their enemies)

Definitely not vampires; not that you can't use the figures for that if you want.

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 00:31
Are they metal or plastic minis?

Do they ship overseas to say Australia?

Are they the same scale of Warhammer?

mistformsquirrel
15-03-2008, 00:37
Metal, roughly the same scale as Warhammer (28mm "Heroic" vs straight up 32mm - my Winterguard standing next to my Chaos troops don't look all that out of place), and I'm 99% sure you can get em in Australia as a couple friends I've made who play Warmachine live there.

GodHead
15-03-2008, 04:33
Eh, strokes for different folks. Myself, I find the overly stylized details and poses on Privateer miniatures to be distracting. This is especially highlighted by the pastel-like paint job used in all of the display materials.

I really like the direction that GW is taking their plastics line, especially as exemplified by the new Vampires. I would consider the Skeletons and Grave Guard to be industry leading by any stretch of the phrase.

As far as metal models, there are few miniatures from any range or company that I enjoy as much as the latest crop for Vampires. Whether it's the characters (Vlad tops my list just for the way they finally captured a vampire's face, but Konrad and Mannfred on Horse are also amazing) or the Varghulf or Blood Knights, I find them all quite incredible.

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 05:43
I feel that those Privateer press minis were a little to detailed for regular troops, and GW's characters are just too detailed these days full stop. The latest incarnation of the VC special characters is another example of this. There is just too much happening on the same 28mm model.

Feefait
15-03-2008, 18:46
I agree completely that the new VC are pretty darn good. Best plastics out there, arguably. And the characters are great too. However, they are enw and almost the exception. In it's big line GW has some real winners. But they have also a lot of really boring models. Yes, they are generally rank and file. And that's why its's hard to compare. A hordes or confron army will have half to a third or less of the models of a typical warhammer force. They also don't play grouped up, so the details are more important and noticeable. I think GW is on the right track, i just think they got too complacent for a while there. Privateer and Rackham HAVE to try to be the best if they want to compete. even the best game system will fail with the wrong miniature supoort.

Ward.
17-03-2008, 06:53
Personally I can wait to find a way to use THAT (http://www.privateerpress.com/HORDES/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=134) in a skaven army (as a huge mouldar creation).