PDA

View Full Version : favorite ever legion (both sides)

donuter
14-03-2008, 19:30
i was wondering with the talk of horus heresy which of the legions were top in people heads

donuter
14-03-2008, 19:34
couldn't fit them all sorry

Bigbot
14-03-2008, 19:49
Night Lords

They're terror tactics appeal to me.

Though after Legion by Dan Abnett, I now have a newfound respect for the Alpha Legion

Promethius
14-03-2008, 19:53
Imperial Fists. Held the Imperial Palace; Dorn organised the defence of Earth and won out against overwhelming odds. Awesome.

Burnthem
14-03-2008, 19:54
Salamanders - the noblest and most 'human' of the Legions, plus they burn things ;)

Pvt. Ratt
14-03-2008, 20:06
not a fair question!
I like thousand sons, iron warriors, imperial fists... dammit to many.

Lieutenant Ranik
14-03-2008, 20:08
Imperial Fists, although I had a tough time deciding between them and pre-Heresy Emperor's Children.

Michael M.
14-03-2008, 20:23
The SW are my first choise. But i also like the TSons for their tragical role in the HH.

Damocles8
14-03-2008, 20:30
Luna Wolves, before the fall....

Moress
14-03-2008, 20:35
I had to go with IW's, not because of their former cheese army, but because they just have the most flavourfull fluff of any other legion IMO.

I really like how they are always involved in siege warfar, and I also like reading about every battle they are involved in, especially the Iron Cage Battle witht he Fists and Iron Warriors, pure genius.

I heard Storm of Iron is a must read, maybe someday I'll get to it.

philbrad2
14-03-2008, 20:40
Iron within... Iron without . Nuff said.

PhilB
:chrome:

nagash66
14-03-2008, 20:41
Imperial Fists. Held the Imperial Palace;
Awesome.

NO no no the Blood angels held the palace untill the end

Killgore
14-03-2008, 20:41
Word Bearers

Total War against the Imperium in the name of the Chaos Gods undivided

Neo799
14-03-2008, 20:43
Death Guard after the fall, Emperor's Children before it.

CaptainAdama
14-03-2008, 20:48
Imperial Fists.

In Nomine Imperator. In Nomine Dorn.

Blutrache
14-03-2008, 20:53
I'm split between Wordbearers and Deathguard, but since WB was left out the choice was easy ;)

Commissar_Sven
14-03-2008, 20:59
No Thousand Sons OR Salamanders?:confused: Given the options I went for Death Guard.

flare8521
14-03-2008, 21:04
Emperor's Children of course for me since I play them. Though I really like Dark Angels too.

Coolhand
14-03-2008, 21:05
Maybe Space wolves, no Blood Angels, ummm this is a tough one not sure I can choose!!

Baneboss
14-03-2008, 21:44
I like DA and IW.

Leth Shyish'phak
14-03-2008, 21:59
Ultramarines!!! WOOOO!!! :D :D :D

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
14-03-2008, 22:09
2nd vote for Night Lords!

RampagingRavener
14-03-2008, 22:12
I find the lack of Salamanders in the poll disturbing.

Skirnak
14-03-2008, 22:22

Considering there are 20 legions (18 we have enough fluff to vote on), having a poll of 10 choices would suggest that it's not just the Salamanders who are missing out.

donuter
14-03-2008, 22:47
should i add a poll for the other chapters?

Skirnak
14-03-2008, 23:09
should i add a poll for the other chapters?

It would be far more effective if you could add the other legions as options in the poll...but I don't know if you can do that.

Dreachon
14-03-2008, 23:22
Iron Within! Iron Without!

Now let's blow up some fortresses

dblaz3r
14-03-2008, 23:43
Emperor's Children of course for me since I play them. Though I really like Dark Angels too.

Dark Angels of course for me since I play them. Though I really like Emporer's Children too :D

Oh and Deathguard

Sir_Turalyon
14-03-2008, 23:51
Night Lords, Legion with backgroung that's worth time spent leading it.

through I have soft spot for Dark Angels Legion... their collective background (Fallen and Chapter Angels) is almost as good when put together.

Kahadras
14-03-2008, 23:57
Space Wolves for me. Interesting background and cool primarch but unfortunatly one of the more ignored legions during the HH. I always like the piece of background that claimed that Horus knew that he'd never get Russ on his side and was smart enough to make sure that he and his legion were well out of the way when the heresy kicked off.

Kahadras

TheDarkDuke
15-03-2008, 01:04
ughh.... thousand sons first i guess. but i like salamanders,dark angels and alpha legion
as well

SerratedSmile
15-03-2008, 01:14
Thousands Sons FTW! But seriously, I have to go with the Thousand Sons, their background before Magnus was considered a traitor has always intrigued me, plus they looked much better in red ;)

Vaktathi
15-03-2008, 01:54
In terms of actual *Legions*, I like the Salamanders, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Thousand Sons, and Alpha Legion the best, they seem to have the most interesting background and feel.

sabre4190
15-03-2008, 03:49
I think its really cool how its seems fairly even so far. I dont know why, but that works for me.

Anyways, I think there are a few that stand out for me. Luna Wolves were awesome before the heresy. They were really the best of the best, and I think that the books show them in a really cool light. Pre heresy death guard were pretty rad, namely because of a certain captain Garro.

Some legions just didn't come off as too cool during the heresy. Ultras were rather bland, rather than the all present force they would become. Raven guard were okay before the heresy, as were the Dark Angels.

However, the best legions were the ones defending terra during the horus heresy. The white scars leading lightening raids, all while the blood angels fight with nobility before their descent into madness. Above all, the Imperial Fists were just too tough. Rogal Dorn's dedication and seige works made him the greatest obstacle in horus' path. After all, the original Emperor's Champion did practically design the fortress. The uncompromising, hard as nails fists proved to be the legion that saved the Imperium.

Marius Xerxes
15-03-2008, 04:12
I had to go with IW's, not because of their former cheese army, but because they just have the most flavourfull fluff of any other legion IMO.

I really like how they are always involved in siege warfar, and I also like reading about every battle they are involved in, especially the Iron Cage Battle witht he Fists and Iron Warriors, pure genius.

I heard Storm of Iron is a must read, maybe someday I'll get to it.

It IS a must read. Awesome book. Also after reading that book, go read the Ultramarine's Omnibus. The Characters from Storm show up in the last book of the Omnibus.

Vaktathi
15-03-2008, 04:16
Above all, the Imperial Fists were just too tough. Rogal Dorn's dedication and seige works made him the greatest obstacle in horus' path. After all, the original Emperor's Champion did practically design the fortress. The uncompromising, hard as nails fists proved to be the legion that saved the Imperium.

Well, to be fair, the Palace was ready to collapse, it was at the "last stand" point. The palace held long enough for the arrival of reinforcements to be imminent, the forces under Horus had all but completely broken it, however they could not take on the remnants of the Emperor's palace *and* the reinforcements on the way, hence why Horus lowered the shields to attempt to end it quickly. The defenses themselves however were all but overcome at the last, had the returning Legions just a tad slower, it would have been a much different ending.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
15-03-2008, 04:16
always a SW!

Joewrightgm
15-03-2008, 04:23
Black Legion. We fight the Long War against the False Emperor. We were mighty once, but were laid low by our pride.

Now we come for what should have always been ours.

We are returned!

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-03-2008, 04:38
That time again? Another of these already? And not a capital letter to be found?

Favorite Traitor Legion is Word Bearers. Favorite Loyalist is Blood Angels. I like them all, to be honest, but those two stick with me.

Of course, I haven't read the HH series (and I am not sure I intend to). But still.

Seeing as the OP was kind enough to leave Word Bearers out and narrow my choices down, I'll go with Blood Angels. By the blood of Sanguinius!

Burning Star IV
15-03-2008, 06:16
Emperor's Children, without a doubt.

Damocles8
15-03-2008, 10:40
That time again? Another of these already? And not a capital letter to be found?

Favorite Traitor Legion is Word Bearers. Favorite Loyalist is Blood Angels. I like them all, to be honest, but those two stick with me.

Of course, I haven't read the HH series (and I am not sure I intend to). But still.

Seeing as the OP was kind enough to leave Word Bearers out and narrow my choices down, I'll go with Blood Angels. By the blood of Sanguinius!

You really should, especially if you like Word Bearers......

Lordsaradain
15-03-2008, 10:47
I'm sold for Perturabo. (ie iron warriors)

==Me==
15-03-2008, 10:58
Dark Angels, The 1st and best.

Followed by the Alpha Legion, too cool for school :p

Minos Engele
15-03-2008, 14:30
Word Bearers. Out of all the Legions they are both one of the most structural (as a legion) and most Chaotic (in their duty to spread the word of Chaos Undivided)

They were also the first Legion to side with Chaos.

Eryx_UK
15-03-2008, 14:35
While I don't play them, the Death Guard have always been a favourite both pre HH and after.

Earthbeard
15-03-2008, 15:22
Death Guard......followed closely by Space Wolves.

Promethius
15-03-2008, 15:35
Well, to be fair, the Palace was ready to collapse, it was at the "last stand" point. The palace held long enough for the arrival of reinforcements to be imminent, the forces under Horus had all but completely broken it, however they could not take on the remnants of the Emperor's palace *and* the reinforcements on the way, hence why Horus lowered the shields to attempt to end it quickly. The defenses themselves however were all but overcome at the last, had the returning Legions just a tad slower, it would have been a much different ending.

But then that is the point of a fortress; to hold out until reinforcements arrive whilst protecting the people/posessions within. No fortress can withstand overwhelming odds forever.

TheEndIsHere
15-03-2008, 15:46
Was the empOrEr's children actually there?

I only heard of the empErOr's children...

I find it weird that a legion as important as the WE (why do they represent chaos in alot fo people's minds?, I see chaos alot more in 1k Sons) is not there but some small legion (I.e. Imperial Fist are up there...)

Hard choice, Can I vote more than once? I like EVERY chaos legion ALOT but I voted Death Guard, the one that relates to me the most...

D-End

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-03-2008, 21:24
Was the empOrEr's children actually there?

I only heard of the empErOr's children...

I've only heard of the Emperor's Children myself... :p

You really should, especially if you like Word Bearers......

I suppose, but I've already delved enough into various spoiler tags that I think the vast majority of the 'revelations' in Fluff might be known to me... and some of them are very, very 'do not want' IMO.

donuter
15-03-2008, 21:50
right im doing another poll for the other legions

Kelderaith
15-03-2008, 22:34
I voted Iron Warriors as well, always loved their fluff (particularly the Cage fight as someone pointed out) but such a poll is hard on me since I liked just about half the legions on a same level and don't really "dig" the other half of them.

Storm of Iron is a must read. Definately.

donuter
15-03-2008, 22:36
as i said i diid the other legions in another poll so look for it

Imperialis_Dominatus
16-03-2008, 00:26
So... are you going to take the top half of both polls and make a third to find out who is 'really' the favorite? I think then you might achieve your original objective... :)

MeltaBombed
16-03-2008, 00:43

Agreed. They be my fave.

But second comes the Imperial Fists so in the sallies absence they got the vote

Gorthaur
16-03-2008, 06:49
World Eaters, has everyone forgot about them? i think they look the best!

guardsmen529
16-03-2008, 07:45
Raven Guard, why line up on a battlefield when you can sneak in the back way and set of some high explosives?

tortoise
16-03-2008, 09:26
Emperor's Children, just because I like Slaanesh.

Second choice Death Guard, just because I like Nurgle too.

As for deciding on a heresy era favourite legion due to background- forget it. GWs space marine background is as generic and stale as it gets. I really can't see much difference between a Blood Angel and an Imperial Fist. Blood angels express how noble(x2) they are by charging screaming into combat whereas Imperial Fists express how noble(x2) they are by not charging screaming into combat and I don't see much evidence of development beyond being noble(x2).

Except for the Ultramarines of course. They're noble(x20).

donuter
16-03-2008, 19:14
i'm going to doy what impiral dominatus said and open a third poll, with the top legions from the other polls on it ok.

Necron god
16-03-2008, 19:17
no thousand sons :mad:

Eetion
16-03-2008, 20:46
Alpha Legion all the Way.

TheMav80
16-03-2008, 21:20
Mine isn't on the list. :cries:

Iron Hands. Probably, in part, due to my love of cyberpunk and all things bionic/cybernetic. I like their chapter structure too.

Besides, what is better than a genetically engineered super soldier? Why a genetically engineered super soldier cyborg, of course!

Drakon
17-03-2008, 09:36
SW all the way but i quite like death gaurd. But SW first