PDA

View Full Version : What are You Using for Your Abyssal Terror?

Dux Ducis
14-03-2008, 23:59
Sure, you could use the good 'ol Blood Dragon on Winged Nightmare (http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.oz?do=Individual&code=99110207095&orignav=13), but what else do you want to convert to strike terror into the heart of your mortal opposition?

Imp of High Noon
15-03-2008, 05:27
Arkhan's chariot is one form an Abyssal terror might take, I read/heard/gleaned/invented that somewhere

IronBrother
15-03-2008, 05:43
You could use any monster mount really. Just make sure you convert it. I personally think the old Chaos Dwarf Lammasu is a good one.

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 06:31
I personally think the old Chaos Dwarf Lammasu is a good one.

Do you have a link or a pic to this model? I can't find it anywhere...

Darkangeldentist
15-03-2008, 07:02
I hope to use a converted vargulf to use as an abyssal terror. The picture of one in the book makes the think the vargulf is perfect. Plus I can just take the rider off and use it normally if I want.

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 07:37
That's a pretty damn good idea, since both the abyssal terror and varghulf have pretty similar stats - maybe just patch up the wings.

slayerofmen
15-03-2008, 07:48
im thinking of using a heavy converted balrog, because well, I'm insane

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 07:57
Just make sure it's not too big - it ain't no dragon, but it's close enough (causes terror, can fly, has S and T 5)

Jagosaja
15-03-2008, 10:24
I am going to use a Fell Beast from LOTR where I have changed its head with the head of Cold One's of Malus Darkblade. It is smaller than dragon, but looks beautiful.

75hastings69
15-03-2008, 12:09
I have a really, REALLY great idea for mine. As soon as it is produced I'll have it up on my project log, until then I don't want anyone ripping off my idea and beating me to it! (after I posted mine everyone is free to rip off what they want!)

Dux Ducis
15-03-2008, 12:45
I've heard some people want to use a carnosaur with wings, but I'm not sure if there is too much 'lizard' in the model. Maybe it would work well for a pirate coast VC army....

tom1354788
15-03-2008, 14:10
the fell beast looks like quite a good idea, i think with a bit of repositioning and some converting to make it more dead looking, that could be really nice.

Karhedron
16-03-2008, 20:47
I rather like Morathi's Dark Pegasus. Only problem is that it might be a bit on the small side. Probably work better as a Hellstead.

rodmillard
16-03-2008, 22:01
I'm (trying to) put wings on one of the white-lions from the HE chariot kit to so a kind of "sphynx" abyssal terror - mind you, I'm going for a very egyptian themed army, with old style Lahmian vampires and skeletons/black knights that can cross over with tomb kings...

GodHead
16-03-2008, 22:06
Wow. There are some really great ideas in this thread. I don't plan on building a Vampire Counts army, but I'm really glad that those who are are working so hard to make their army's unique and exciting.

Kudos to everyone involved in these projects, the hobby is made infinitely better for this kind of involvement.

Also shows that the "every unit has to have a model" concept isn't always necessary. Sometimes gaps can lead to incredible patches.

mrtn
16-03-2008, 23:13
I don't have the armybook, so don't really know what kind of monster this is, but I think that the Caller from Necromunda could be nice, a giant undead rat.

snyggejygge
17-03-2008, 00:11
I will use an old Chimera I got, so that it finally gets to see some use (havenīt used it since 5:th edition), donīt even have to replace the rider as itīs an old Chaos sorcerer that could just as well work as a Vampire in armour.

Riftsower
17-03-2008, 01:45
I'm using the "Thing in the Woods" from Mordheim with the wings from Belakor, it looks great, very similar to the image in the book.

vampiremusic
30-03-2009, 17:10
i owuld use a vargulf and make it abit bigger and differnt wings

Deon
30-03-2009, 17:40
what do you think about the manticore model from the dark elves.
I think it would be nice for a abyssal terror

Keller
30-03-2009, 18:14
Sure, you could use the good 'ol Blood Dragon on Winged Nightmare (http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.oz?do=Individual&code=99110207095&orignav=13), but what else do you want to convert to strike terror into the heart of your mortal opposition?

This is exactly what I use, mainly because I already had one from 6th Ed. Of course, I still need to paint it.... :rolleyes:

soultaker87
30-03-2009, 18:22
I already have the normal winged nightmare for my dreadknight vampire with a few conversions to it, just check my painting log. but the one I am working on for my fluff character will be kinda like a undead chimera made from different parts. the head will be the ram skull from the ogre standard, the body and wings will be the karl franz griffon and the tail will be the head of one of the snakes in the jungle swarms from lizardmen

vinny t
30-03-2009, 18:49
I was thinking of using the Bretonnian King's (whose name escapes me) Griffin for my Abyssal Terror. Just GS some rotting wings with maggots on them. Works really well especially if you have a Knight heavy list.

Sylass
30-03-2009, 19:56
Lich King's chariot (aka Arkhan the Black) or the other, older (I think) Winged Nightmare. If you replace the rider (rabbit Necrach of doom!) and don't plan to paint it using bright colours, it'll probably look quite good. ;)

Found both of these together with lot of other old undead stuff while cleaning out the basement and the roof of my parent's house last week. :)

Keller
30-03-2009, 20:24
Lich King's chariot (aka Arkhan the Black) or the other, older (I think) Winged Nightmare. I believe that's 5th Ed. special charactor Malakoir (Sp?) on Winged Nightmare. Come to think of it, I tihnk I have one tucked away somewhere that I picked up cheap somewhere but never opened. Atleast I think I do.... I'll have to look around for it. Still, I think I'll stick with my Winged Nightmare Blooddragon.

Marshal Torrick
30-03-2009, 21:40
I use the Skeletal Dragon from Reaper miniatures. He's smaller than a GW dragon, so take the arms off him and make him a skeletal wyvern.

Here he is in all it's boney glory: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/dragon/latest/02705

Hvidponi
31-03-2009, 11:50
I use a Thing From the Woods (mordheim)with the wings from a Warmaster Chaos Dragon, on top of him is a converted Lhamia vampire... Its awesome and unique...

Tom Von Carstein
31-03-2009, 11:56
what do you think about the manticore model from the dark elves.
I think it would be nice for a abyssal terror

Thats exactly what i thought, with maybe a converted blood knight on top
with some minor conversion to the manticore itself to make it more vampirish.

StarFyre
31-03-2009, 11:58
I'm sculpting one, which I will post for sale, later in the year (no idea when..hopefully later in the summer if i can finish it then)...

it will be based on the artwork on page 4 or 5 of the vampire armybook (that big one in the sky).

the armature for it so far can be seen here:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/StarFyreXXX/DSC04485.jpg

(top center area of pic)

another angle is here:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/StarFyreXXX/DSC04486.jpg

i hope i can manage it...the pic in the book is one of my favourite arts in all of the warhammer armybooks....

Regards,

Sanjay