PDA

View Full Version : Army Advice

walnuts666
15-03-2008, 00:15
I play 40k but I am very interested in WHFB. A few guys at my gaming club are going to start playing soon. I just spent a ton of money on the new Orks for 40k. I'm an Ork guy, SM's can kiss my a$$. This is an expensive hobby, I've read up on all the armies but have not seen any of the codex for the armies. I do not want to waste money on a crappy army. I would like some feedback on what army is good to start with. I love Orks so they would be my first choice, but I really like both Chaos armies,Vampire Counts and Dwarves. All suggestions are welcome I am not stuck on just these guys.:confused:

Drogmir
15-03-2008, 00:20
Well all 3 choices you made are very solid lists.

But you seem to be an Orc guy so.....

Mireadur
15-03-2008, 01:32
get something different. wont you go mad from that much greenskin painting?

I would go for dwarves out of the 3 you listed, but thats just personal choice. If you are mainly thinking in in-game effectiveness you may want to check the units list by list to see what would fit better for your tastes.

CaptScott
15-03-2008, 05:53
I'm an Ork guy, SM's can kiss my a$$

hallelujah brother!

Chaos is going to be updated soon so I wouldn't go with them just yet. The new VC list however looks awesome: zombies, raising dead, ethereal steeds (ignore terrain), spirit hosts, vampires, customisable blood lines, conversion opportunities - its all good!

Vishok
15-03-2008, 07:05
I also play Orks in 40k and last year took an interest in Fantasy.

I started with dwarfs as my first choice but...now I have 2000 pts worth of Orcs and Goblins - even though I'm painting my dwarfs to 1000 pts still!

I'd say go with something completely different to start with. The orcs will arrive soon enough, seemingly of their own volition.

Famder
15-03-2008, 09:52
Stay away from O&G, mainly because it will give you a sense of identity with each game. I love my 40k Orks, they are what makes me enjoy playing that game, but my first GW army ever was Lizardmen and that's who identify with for WHFB. It gives me distinct play experiences for each system which is the point of crossing over. Read some fluff about the armies and then choose something that plays differently than your 40k army. It will make the game a lot more interesting.

PS....I recommend you play HE, WE, or Brets, just because it is nothing like a an Ork horde army.

Emeraldw
16-03-2008, 03:33
Stay away from O&G, mainly because it will give you a sense of identity with each game. I love my 40k Orks, they are what makes me enjoy playing that game, but my first GW army ever was Lizardmen and that's who identify with for WHFB. It gives me distinct play experiences for each system which is the point of crossing over. Read some fluff about the armies and then choose something that plays differently than your 40k army. It will make the game a lot more interesting.

PS....I recommend you play HE, WE, or Brets, just because it is nothing like a an Ork horde army.

Well the Fantasy version of orcs is very different from the 40k version, so you could easily play both and get a very different gaming experience and while they are kinda hordish in Fantasy, they can be elite as well if you use blocks of certain units. O&G's are almost the second most flexible army in the game beyond Empire. You can do almost any list with them.

However O&G, Dwarves, VC's are all fine choices, in fact you could pick any army and be fine if you know what your doing.

Luckywallace
16-03-2008, 10:34
I have Orks as my main 40k army and also Orcs and Goblins for WHFB. Gotta love the greenskins.

I have made sure there is some variety in style though; the 40k orks are bad moons so have a yellow theme, and their skin is very dark, while the WHFB orcs have a much brighter skin and a lot of blue in their paint scheme.

If you love Orks/Orcs then I say go for it, the games play so differantly that it won't feel like playing the same army (for a start, WHFB orcs don't get Dreadnoughts... unfortunately).

pkain762
17-03-2008, 01:55
yeah i agree with some of the people on going a completely different approach.... because i play SM in 40k so i didn't want to have an army similar to them in WHFB (ie empire or Brets) so i looked at all of them and chose a difficult and unique army the Ogre kingdom.... and honestly the OK is almost the complete opposite of the Orks..... since you could easily have only 16 models in a 1000 pt match haha

kain

ChaosCajun
17-03-2008, 03:26
You need to go with the army that you like best whether it wins or loses. I know this is said often, but the rules change and some armies get better or worse over time vs. their opponents. I always like the greenskins because of the tremendous variety of troop types available. They have some hilarious troop types and you can even buy some chaos dwarves and expand into that list (if it survives in its current form as an independent army).

That said, the Daemon Army for Chaos is getting new books for both 40k and WFB and would give you an army for both systems with one set of figures.

Finally, I tried once to do something different moving from one system to another and absolutely regretted it (went from Chaos WFB to SM/IG). I found I missed the character and fluff of chaos and converted the SM's to Chaos marines and the IG to cultists.

walnuts666
18-03-2008, 20:30
Thanks for the advice. I will be buying my Orks & Goblins this weekend.