PDA

View Full Version : To wait or not?

-Grimgorironhide-
15-03-2008, 10:14
Hi all, I've have quite a few marines since I got maggrage but its only know that I decided to strt up an army chapter of them, but am not sure if I should wait until the 5th codex is done or get it now, cause I really want to start designing a chapter.
cheers:D

exMudPuppy
15-03-2008, 10:40
What I did is make all of my squads 10 man, that way I shouldn't have to change much, possibly only a couple of models. I loosely based my choices on the DA codex.

Snowfire
15-03-2008, 11:08
Just make a chapter. A smart commander will allow for tactical flexibility in his army as 5th edition approaches.

Dreachon
15-03-2008, 11:12
If you base your army on the DA and BA codex then you won't have much to fear from the new codex, the DA/BA seems to be the way that codex chapters are now gonna be.

-Grimgorironhide-
15-03-2008, 11:21
No I mean I don't actually have the marine codex yet because I don't know if I should wait or not, and I'm thinging of doing an imperial fist type of chapter called the Imperial beseigers,

junglesnake
15-03-2008, 11:23
Wait - make your squads ten man, one heavy, one special weapon. Use a friends codex or something until the new one comes out.

The BA one is probably the best to go by for the mean time as it is free to download.

Emperor's Avenger
15-03-2008, 11:25
I'd wait, because if you start now there's the risk of having your army invalidated. Plus you'd have to buy two codexes in a short space of time.

exMudPuppy
15-03-2008, 12:02
Something else to keep in mind is that a new codex for SM's is only rumored. There is no official date, so you could be waiting for a while. The codex will probably be out pretty quickly, but there is no guarantee.

victorpofa
15-03-2008, 12:21
Use the BA codex as a template since it is a free download, but remember that Assault Marines are Fast Attack in all other marine armies. Unless you want to use this list for you army permanently :) Then if the rumors of 5th edition evaporate like Planetstrike did you can always buy the codex later with minimal changes to your force.

If you are burning to make your own chapter using traits look over a copy at a GW before starting. Good luck.

Ironhand
15-03-2008, 12:43
I agree with most of the other posters, if you use the BA codex as a guide for organizing your troops (10 man squads with one heavy and one special weapon, scouts as Elites) and so on, you'll be fine.

Just don't get too attached to any of the Chapter traits or make them the centerpiece of your army. There's no guarantee that traits will survive in 5th Edition.

Norsehawk
15-03-2008, 13:08
I would start now, but to make that your army is not outdated, build it around the dark angels or blood angels layout, 5 man squads with special weapon, or 10 man with special/heavy if you build 6 man lasplas, you are just asking for trouble in the long run.

As of now, there is no announced new codex that is coming out for the marines as of yet. But once 5th edition drops, I don't see the marines as being far off.

15-03-2008, 17:36
go ahead. chances are that a SM companyis going to staythe same 6 tac 2 assult 2 dev squads. the only thing that will probibly change is the mix of heavy and special weapons

Straha
15-03-2008, 17:49
Marine armies will always have a lot of bolters. You really can't go wrong making 5 or 10 men squads. You will also need some type of HQ, which should not radically change when the new edition comes out. You also can't go wrong with a couple of Rhinos, a Land Raider/Raider Crusader, or a Devastator Squad.

Now if you start buying speeders for the 9 heavy bolter and assault cannon option, or building 6 man Terminator Squads with 2 assault cannons...........

Maybe start small and build a nice 400 point Combat Patrol army, which should provide a solid 5th Edition army foundation.

-Grimgorironhide-
16-03-2008, 05:59
true true, also is it possible that upgradeable things like purety seals, telehomers ands auspexs etc..will still be there because that what I like about the 4th ed Marine is all the different item options.

Tommygun
16-03-2008, 06:08
Do you have any friends you could barrow the codex from time to time until the new one comes around? Don't they have a basic summery sheet you can down load from GW web site. I know it doesn't have all the info, but it may help.

vanquish46
16-03-2008, 06:38
I wouldnt get too involved in building your chapter or you risk parts of it becoming obsolete but there is no harm in getting a few squads of tactical troops and working on making them look real nice while you wait

16-03-2008, 07:55
the other problem with doing your own chapter right now is if you plan onusing divergances. I am really not wanting to put my all bike army on the shelf...but if I can't do that via sm codex I will put them on the shelf (and no I don't want to run them as DA)