PDA

View Full Version : PDF: confirmation and rumour

yphead
15-03-2008, 10:25
Bonjour from France,

Confirmation;
the French translation team were fired just after having finished the translation of the final rules. And the PDF was leaked at the same time.

Rumour;
Now on this point no one has the same story, but in first position is:
The leak came after the translation team were fired. Pay back from an unhappy translator.

and in second:
The team was fired because of the leak.

Make of this what you will, but over here the PDF is considered the final version, I hope this clarifies this for some of you.

and last point on a personal note, I think this situation really sucks.

Huw_Dawson
15-03-2008, 10:37
Other than the timeline simply doesn't fit. They would still theoretically be playtesting when the book was released. And other people (Harry, Brimstone) have disagreed with the PDF.

- Huw

Battle-Brother Wags
15-03-2008, 10:45
For the reasons already mentioned I call shenanigans.

Shibboleth
15-03-2008, 15:15
If the job is done then why would they need them anymore?
They would've been on a temp. contract or something and known the job was done. There couldn't be that much bad blood over it?

Bunnahabhain
15-03-2008, 15:29
This makes no sense as a rumour.

The PDF was nowhere near finished, with many things like missing diagrams. For it to be translated, you need a fairly much complete orginal to work from.

A disgrunted translator leaking it makes sense, as that's the kind of thing people do. It's just the rest of this that smells fishy.

DartzIRL
15-03-2008, 15:36
Most of what there was seemed copypasta'd on from Third edition, with a few controversial add-ins. Some of the diagrams featured were the exact same, in fact.

Oligarch
15-03-2008, 19:38
I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on this one.
We already have Brimstone's and Harry's word that the pdf is most certainly NOT final. The pdf is dated at july last year, which is far too early for anything other than a playtest version. And, to stick a final nail in this rumour coffin, it looks nothing like finished. It looks everything like a fourth edition rulebook with a few of the rules switched out.

/Oligarch

yphead
16-03-2008, 12:23
um interesting,
just to check we are all talking about the same pdf...
leaked October/november on the "French Waaag" forum.
96 pages long.
No photos
the only pages with numbers on them are 10 & 11

responce to Auzu (for my own credibility)
blastmarkers, BS has no effect, and no longer use 4+ rule for partial hits...

Battle-Brother Wags
16-03-2008, 13:02
um interesting,
just to check we are all talking about the same pdf...
leaked October/november on the "French Waaag" forum.
96 pages long.
No photos
the only pages with numbers on them are 10 & 11

responce to Auzu (for my own credibility)
blastmarkers, BS has no effect, and no longer use 4+ rule for partial hits...

Sounds like you have a different version than what has been discussed around here . . . our rumor says BS DOES have an affect. The PDF I found does have photos, can't remember how many pages, but does have page numbers on most pages.

The Dude
17-03-2008, 00:32
Sounds like you have a different version than what has been discussed around here . . . our rumor says BS DOES have an affect. The PDF I found does have photos, can't remember how many pages, but does have page numbers on most pages.

No, that's the same version as I have. BS affecting Blasts is an additional rumour from Harry and wasn't contained in the pdf.

I'm not convinced of this either.

Void_Dragon
17-03-2008, 02:34
As a translator I say ********. Why? Because if they were hired it was only for translating the book, so they wouldn't get fired, just not hired again. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that a whole team gets hired. Normally GW works with freelance translators that work regularly for them. Bittor Garcia is the Spanish translator, and, although he is AWFUL, he still works for GW. They don't have staff, just freelance regular people.
Also, translators are bound with non-disclosure-agreements that are pretty hard to break. No serious translator will ever risk his/her career breaking it, because, even if they evade the legal issues, no one will EVER hire him or her again.
As an editor, would you hire someone that has leaked confidential information before? Of course not.
If they did it... ok, then GW needs to find better translators, as they are not professional enough.

intellectawe
17-03-2008, 04:05
nice rumor.... They were probably fired for releasing it.

Wrath
17-03-2008, 10:20
No, that's the same version as I have. BS affecting Blasts is an additional rumour from Harry and wasn't contained in the pdf.

I'm not convinced of this either.

harry did say somthing about a couple different versions running around.

This one is 91 pages with alot of image place holders and recycled images from 4th main book. <includeing an unedited and incorrect "partial hit" diagram> all of harry's info is in it. <so far, we needs moar!> =)

Details:
Created - July 19, '07 6:44 AM
Application - QuarkXpress 6.5
OS - Mac OS X 10.4.10