PDA

View Full Version : Flail of Skulls and other Multi wound weapons

KingTut
15-03-2008, 09:29
I cannot seem to find this question being posted before.
Now in the rulebook (7th) it reads something along the lines of if a character causes more wounds then there are models in front of him the excess wounds carry on into the unit. However in a challenge the excess wounds are lost (barring overkill bonuses). Does the flail of skulls (for every wound caused it counts as 2 wounds) wounds carry over into the unit or merely count for combat res? For example Tomb prince hits and wounds 3 dwarf warriors. Two of which fail armour saves. Do 4 models get removed? Do two models get removed and then there is 2 wounds added to CR?
Im slightly confused. I know how it works in challenges but am slightly confused in regular combat.

Oberon
15-03-2008, 09:33
No, you do not do multiple wounds on single-wound models unless in challenge. If you get 2 wounds in with flail of skulls, and they were dwarfs (1 wound), then your opponent removes two models, and your 2 kills count for 2 kills in CR. If you were in challenge and dealt 2 wounds with flail of skulls to the dwarf champion, then the champion model would be removed, and you would get 1+3=4 CR.
EDIT: against say, ogres each wound would be 2 and count for CR as 2 too.

Jonke
15-03-2008, 09:33
With a multi-wound weapon you can't cause more wounds with each hit than the target has on its profile. So fighting against dwarfs each hit only causes one wound.

KingTut
15-03-2008, 09:41
So is this item only "good" in challenges?

Lordsaradain
15-03-2008, 09:43
Or versus multiwound models like trolls, ogres, minotaurs..

sulla
15-03-2008, 20:22
So is this item only "good" in challenges?

It seems pretty bloody good at killing my Hydras too. :cries:

theunwantedbeing
15-03-2008, 20:26
Most things are bloody good at killing hydra's....my hydra will attest to that, having been killed by prettymuch everything that bothered attacking it.

Multi wound weapons are indeed worthless in situations where you can deal only 1 wound per hit at best....wierd huh?
You can kill 3 men and deal 6 wounds each but you only get 3 dead enemy models and only get +3 to combat res as well.

Just make sure your dude with the multi-wound weapon is fighting things that can take multiple wounds per hit..otherwise it's wasted points.
Just like how you dont have your sorceresses fighting those chosen knights in combat.

sulla
16-03-2008, 00:31
Most things are bloody good at killing hydra's....my hydra will attest to that, having been killed by prettymuch everything that bothered attacking it.

I know. I know. But it still hurts when they die.

(There's so much in my list that I know I shouldn't ever bring but sometimes my ego gets the better of me and I field... Predictably, I don't have to leave it on the field for very long...)

Porksta
17-03-2008, 19:57
Just go by this rule - You can never kill more models than you have attacks. Unless there is some special weapon I am overlooking.

superknijn
17-03-2008, 20:05
Well, there's this Ogre Kingdom's weapon that works pretty much like a stone thrower that requires to hit, in combat.

Milgram
17-03-2008, 20:59
Just go by this rule - You can never kill more models than you have attacks. Unless there is some special weapon I am overlooking.

well, there is that situation when there are only two ogres left, champion and standard, both with only one life. you hit the standard with one attack that deals two wounds and both of them will get killed.

well, this situation will probably never occure to you, but it actually might happen.

Porksta
17-03-2008, 21:48
well, there is that situation when there are only two ogres left, champion and standard, both with only one life. you hit the standard with one attack that deals two wounds and both of them will get killed.

well, this situation will probably never occure to you, but it actually might happen.

How can two models each be reduced to one wound? Wounds are cumulative to the unit.

soots
17-03-2008, 23:23
champions are treated separately as if theyre characters.

Whereas a standard bearer/musician is replaceable(others in the unit pick up the standard/instrument), a champion is not.

We always try and guess how many attacks we want to use on the champion (useless to overkill and dont want him hanging around).

Its always "SH#T, forgot to kill the champion, and they get their 2 pissy attacks back :p"

Milgram
18-03-2008, 07:53
yes, and 'overkill' to the unit is redirected to the champion. therefore you could kill both with a single blow. :)

Festus
18-03-2008, 08:25
Hi

Just go by this rule - You can never kill more models than you cause hits. Unless there is some special rule ivolved.
Fixed your post

Festus

Milgram
18-03-2008, 12:16
well, festus, you just included about everything in warhammer as about everything has a special rule...

Festus
18-03-2008, 12:26
Hi

Yes, most things have a special rule or two ... but they are rarely concerned with the number of enemy models you can kill. ;)

So:

"You can never kill more models in close combat than you cause hits - unless there is a special rule telling you to do it otherwise."

Better? :D

Festus

soots
19-03-2008, 01:09
yes, and 'overkill' to the unit is redirected to the champion. therefore you could kill both with a single blow. :)

If you mean that if you do 3 wounds on the champion, it equates to dead champion and 2 dead guys as well. Then no, we did not play that, champions were always a separate entity and always a gamble to see how many attacks you want on him.

Milgram
19-03-2008, 07:11
no, if you do 3 wounds to the champion, the wounds will not transfer to r&f of the unit. but if you do p.e. 5 wounds to r&f whereas only 3 r&f, 1 champion and 1 character is left, the 3 r&f die, the champion dies and the character is noth bothered. 'overkill' to r&f is distributed to the champion (even if the champion has a different statline like the orc bosses).

Eigilb
19-03-2008, 20:40
Gotta ask. Flail of Skulls agasint a OK Bull unit.

I wound with 2 Attacks. What happens? The Flail does 2wounds per wound, but the Bulls have 3 Wounds? Does the unit take 4 Wounds ei. 1 bull dies and 1 takes a wound?

If I were lucky a wound with all 3 attacks would 2 ogres die or 1 dead and 1 takes 2 wounds.

the12thronin
19-03-2008, 22:07
Exactly so. One dead, another Ogre has 2 wounds left.

FWIW, the Flail of Skulls is also excellent and an anti-Stank weapon.