PDA

View Full Version : Been away for a few years

danny842003
15-03-2008, 17:15
Have been away from the hobby for a few years. And today walked in to a shop to look at remote control cars. They were selling warhammer so had a look. I now have a real urge to start again.
I saw that they had a new codex out but didnt get much of a look.
I still have all my old models which were painted to an ok standered.
I used to have a khorne themed army and am very interested in addint to it.
Where would i begin how do the new chaos play.
If it helps i was probably about 17 when i stoped and im 23 now.
Whats happened in those years?

UncleCrazy
15-03-2008, 17:19
Not much as you would think.

A khorne based army would still but mostly the same. Demons may or may not be as good as you rememeber. Zerkers are the best they have ever been now with the 4th ed codex.

Oh Chaos now is at one of the strongest points ever. But that is mostly because the troops rock for it now. Don't plan on Hero-hammer though.

Isambard
16-03-2008, 00:04
6 years ago we were playing with 3rd edition rules. 5th edition is due to come out over summer but the differences in core rules will be very small.

The style of game play has changed a lot but tactics are something you have to pick up as you go along anyway.

You probably have ad advantage in that you have missed the previous chaos codex and wont have been corrupted by its extreme beard.

danny842003
16-03-2008, 14:08
Chaos corrupts us all :)

wickedvoodoo
16-03-2008, 15:22
For the most part a Khorne army will be very similar in style still. You are still looking at a nasty close combat marine army. Bezerkers and Khornate terminators both pack a real punch in CC.

lord_blackfang
16-03-2008, 16:26
The mentality of the community has certainly changed for the worse. Before you start shelling out money again, I suggest you find out if there are any players in your area that share your idea of what 40k is about (whatever that idea is)

Glavemaster
16-03-2008, 16:36
The mentality of the community has certainly changed for the worse. Before you start shelling out money again, I suggest you find out if there are any players in your area that share your idea of what 40k is about (whatever that idea is)

That is a VERY good piece of advice. :)

KazenX
16-03-2008, 17:03
I would say take alook at the new codex first; there are changes in composition, chosen are vastly different and the old cult rules are gone so it may require some retooling to get them in a playable condition. The new codex is a departure from prior Chaos codicies it literaly is Chaos Marines with little mention of the cults/legions but it is very flexiable and still competitive. Khorne players now have control over their models (no more electric football) and the chain axe mechanic is gone. I have a fair sized Khorne force and still think it's a good thing, but c'est la vie.

UncleCrazy
16-03-2008, 17:35
@KazenX I think 6 years ago it would still be the 3.0 ed not the 3.5 ed. So it would not have had chosen in it at all, and no cult rules.

danny842003
16-03-2008, 18:30

I think i will probably be mostly be buying for the sake of painting and modeling.
But i would still rather build an army which could be used as a good army to win games.

geraint
16-03-2008, 18:53
6 years ago prices werent as bad as they are now , do u remember being able to get 5 space marines for 5 , those were the days

danny842003
16-03-2008, 20:12
6 years ago prices werent as bad as they are now , do u remember being able to get 5 space marines for 5 , those were the days

Yeah i rember those days. But i never had a job. I do now.
I probably wont go mad. Pobably buy one unit a month or something. Or even less if i havent finished painting it.
Also i know about ebay now.

Victomorga
17-03-2008, 01:01
Yeah i rember those days. But i never had a job. I do now.
I probably wont go mad. Pobably buy one unit a month or something. Or even less if i havent finished painting it.
Also i know about ebay now.

oh, my dear sweet boy, it always starts with the best intentions. don't kid yourself about the money; even the best of us get bad without realizing it.

setting money on fire would be a cheaper hobby.