PDA

View Full Version : Necron Army

Weed_Bix
15-03-2008, 18:11
Well after quite a bit of thinking i decided to collect necrons and now i would like to disband with the "Oh thats so cheesy" comments.
Yes i will admit that Necrons like every other army has its short commings, some more obvious than others but it also has the ability to be quite a normal and fun army for both the Necron plaer and the playee.
Ok now i will explain my own grievences with the necrons,
First off is the limited army list and lack of choices that is on most occasions responsible for the creation of the "cheesy" armies simply because out of the small number of choices only a few are actually that usefull and the ones that are useful also happen to be the ones that people call "Cheesy" although this is not always the case.
and finally the fact that necrons are described as being absolutely non-individualistic, now this final point is the one that annoys me the most because i quite like customizing my army, but i also like necrons because of the fluff and models (say wat you want i like the models)...but then i got thinking,
ok the necrons are non-individualistic, but who made their bodies wasn't. so i arrived at the conclussion that the Ctan probably didn't just make one design for the necrons bodies and say "Wahmo those r perfect" but they probably perfected it over time.
so now i have fixed my problem of being stuck with necrons that all look the same.
Something to note is that when i say they don't need to all look the same is that they don't all need to be different so i will just chuck in a couple of special looking warriors every now and then but not too many.
Another thing is that i was thinking of using green stuff to give every necron warrior in my army cowels and campaign shrouds to show that they have been around for a very very very long time.
And another thing to note is that i don't want to paint my necrons in metallics so i have chosen to make them look more ceramic as such. anyways let me know watcha think, cheers :)

KeeganKatastrofee
15-03-2008, 18:26
Well after quite a bit of thinking i decided to collect necrons and now i would like to disband with the "Oh thats so cheesy" comments.
Yes i will admit that Necrons like every other army has its short commings, some more obvious than others but it also has the ability to be quite a normal and fun army for both the Necron plaer and the playee.
Ok now i will explain my own grievences with the necrons,
First off is the limited army list and lack of choices that is on most occasions responsible for the creation of the "cheesy" armies simply because out of the small number of choices only a few are actually that usefull and the ones that are useful also happen to be the ones that people call "Cheesy" although this is not always the case.
and finally the fact that necrons are described as being absolutely non-individualistic, now this final point is the one that annoys me the most because i quite like customizing my army, but i also like necrons because of the fluff and models (say wat you want i like the models)...but then i got thinking,
ok the necrons are non-individualistic, but who made their bodies wasn't. so i arrived at the conclussion that the Ctan probably didn't just make one design for the necrons bodies and say "Wahmo those r perfect" but they probably perfected it over time.
so now i have fixed my problem of being stuck with necrons that all look the same.
Something to note is that when i say they don't need to all look the same is that they don't all need to be different so i will just chuck in a couple of special looking warriors every now and then but not too many.
Another thing is that i was thinking of using green stuff to give every necron warrior in my army cowels and campaign shrouds to show that they have been around for a very very very long time.
And another thing to note is that i don't want to paint my necrons in metallics so i have chosen to make them look more ceramic as such. anyways let me know watcha think, cheers :)

1. I agree with your post
2. I agree with your siggy

'nuf said
haha

Necron god
15-03-2008, 18:51
Most my Necrons are red.. but i painted a few gold ones, cos i got bored with mine,

agree with post:p

Dreachon
15-03-2008, 18:58
The fact that all necron warriors look the sam is IMO one of the better parts of the army, it ties in with the fluff that the necron threat is a slow ponderous wave of death.

Grimtuff
15-03-2008, 18:59
I would make a comment here, but that huge block of text hurts my eyes to read it.

Use paragraphs! ;)

MadDogMike
15-03-2008, 21:55
Honestly I don't see why people call necrons "cheesy". My experience with them has been that they're actually a bit underpowered in a few important respects. The lack of speed has caused me plenty of issues with them in the past (especially in scenario missions), not to mention they only have a few long-range units and everbody knows to blow up the destroyers first :rolleyes:. God knows once the power weapons and other CC armor ignoring stuff get into it they drop like flies. For a real interesting comparison, I played one guy with plague marines at a tournament recently. He ended up slaughtering me because while regular shooting was pathetic at killing either of us he had lots of plasma and heavy weapons and power weapons for CC, and I had zero long-range weapons capable of denying FNP (much less armor save) and one power weapon. And no defense against his sorceror either.

I think the real reason people are so bitchy about the Necrons is because they hate watching an army stand up again after being "dead", it feels frustrating. One more reason switching WBB to FNP might help; at least when a Necron is hauled off the table you'll know it's down. They also misunderstand the Gauss rule and think it's rending or "like rending" which it most definitely isn't. It may be deadly to vehicles at close range, but hell, vehicles can move much faster than the Necrons and usually have a far longer range on their weapons. You get within 12" to a Necron horde tromp-tromp-tromping along at 6" a turn you're kinda asking for it. Hell, putting your vehicles within 18" of any opposing unit is asking for it often enough given how many equivalents to "assault marines with powerfist sarge" there are out there. So the main "sins" of the Necrons are standing up after they die (which isn't that hard to prevent with anti-MEQ stuff and concentrating fire) and blowing up vehicles with certainty at close range as opposed to everyone else generally blowing them up at long range. Oh, and the monolith, which in my experience attracts enough anti-tank fire that somebody gets lucky unless I spend all my time (and usually all my destroyers dying) suppressing the AT. They aren't a useless army by any means, but they are in the curious position of being the one MEQ armies without a lot of ability to deal with other MEQ armies, though against horde armies they're well balanced interestingly enough.

Brimweave
15-03-2008, 22:07
Necrons are fun to play and I don't understand the "cheesy" opinion. Like MadDogMike said necrons do have disadvantages that other armies don't. Like the monolith not getting a chance to do anything as in the first turn you opponent fire all his anti tank weapons at it.
I love my necrons and the fluff and will not have any other army for a long time (well maybe Dwarfs but there not 40k :p)

catbarf
15-03-2008, 22:38
I really like the idea of different versions of Necrons, modeled like different Marks of Marine armor. Go for it!

Kelderaith
15-03-2008, 22:44
I agree as well, one of the most funny thing I read (and on multiple occasion I might add) is the "denounciation" of the Necrons' lack of individuality... You have the choice not to like it, but it's their thing man. Plus, most players saying that are SM and don't name their Lord, nor their squad, nor anything (and I am not even pointing out people forgetting to fire their bolters since they forget it's their basic weapon)... but they are playing "human" so they are more individualist. :rolleyes:

I am really eager for Necron in 5th edition though, since their new codex will hopefully add a couple more choices and (a bit like the new eldar codex) will rebalance "useless" unit's prices and abilities to make them a viable choice (as well as toning down underpriced unit like the monolith).

Bregalad
16-03-2008, 01:25
Well, Necrons should have the flavour of a big unindividualistic Zombie (or Terminator T-1000) horde, so giving them a jolly bandana or so might be out of place. ;)

Anyway, look here for some inspiration:
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/terror_from_the_black_lagoon.php

Codsticker
16-03-2008, 02:56
This thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123911&highlight=necron) shows some Necrons done right.

I have a Necron army that I never use anymore (can't get enough of my guard :)) but it's not because they are too cheesy. They get a ton of flack that I think is unwarranted; the lack of individuality in the models, the single Troop choice, and the sheer resilience of the army is what gives it it's character and makes them different from other armies.

Straha
16-03-2008, 04:43
The cool thing about Necrons is their lack of individuality.

A single mass of troops lacking any hint of life or intellect, intent on killing everything that get in it's way is what Necrons are all about. They remind me of the Borg in Star Trek, they just keep coming and coming. Is there a soul trapped in there somewhere? Maybe, but there's no reasoning with it. Of all the 40K armies out there, I really wouldn't want Necrons chasing after me.

Also, people bag on Necrons because of WBB and the Monolith. The WBB rule is frustrating, but combined with the phase out rule, balances. It also adds flavor. How dramatic are guys raising from the dead? How random does that make combat? I know, half of them should get back up. But what about when you roll all 1s and 2s --- or 5s and 6s. Turns like that are moments that make gaming fun.

They resent the Monolith. It's too good. It's cheesy. Whatever. A Monolith isn't any "cheesier" than a Land Raider Crusader or Mech Eldar. Plus, it is a cool looking fluffy model.

Finally, few troop choices and no tactics. First of all, how many people play just one army. Most of us are running at least two. Having only one troop choice (but what a choice) is a nice change of pace.

As for tactics, except for maybe Deathwing nobody plays cover saves like Necrons. There are no wasted troops or "meatshields" covering Elite slots. Every Warrior is crucial to a Necron Army's success.

Whew! Guess I'll get off my pulpit.:cool:

kore
16-03-2008, 07:13
Here are my Necrons, I have a few WIP models that I need to finish. Have a look:

kore's Necrons (link) (http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/kore_album/?action=view&current=FO-WIP1.jpg)

Straha
16-03-2008, 15:14
Here are my Necrons, I have a few WIP models that I need to finish. Have a look:

kore's Necrons (link) (http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/kore_album/?action=view&current=FO-WIP1.jpg)

Wow! Very cool army. I really like the color scheme. Must look great on a desert themed table.

Easily one of the nicest Necron armies I've seen.

Kelderaith
16-03-2008, 16:57
Kore : I would like to know how you converted the hands of your "flayed one". I planned to do the same thing since I don't really like the current models and thus convert them from basic necron warriors' stock. I would like to know how you did those claws (they ressemble a lot the basic flayed one's one, and that scares me because I don't want to buy all the flayed one just to use their claws). Is there a way to order those bits alone? I know games-workshop stopped on bits selling but is there anywhere else we might found that kind of things?

Moreover, I also plan on converting most of my Immortal from warriors as well by glueing 2 guns together and I would like to know if anyone here as converted these the same and how did you manage to "extend" their carapace to look more "immortal-ish". I was planning on greenstuff but maybe there is an easier way?

Thanks and lot for future answer (I know my question is more oriented towards modelism and convertion though)

Bregalad
16-03-2008, 17:06
That reminds me:
Therians from AT-43 are nice alternatives for Necrons
1.) For Flayed one: http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=760&ref=THEL05&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=48
2.) For Necron Lord ("Borg Queen" 1): http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=760&ref=THCH01&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=48
3.) Destructor Lord ("Borg Queen" 2): http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=760&ref=THCH02&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=48

Have a look yourself: http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=760&code_lg=lg_us&num=48

kore
16-03-2008, 19:40
Is there a way to order those bits alone? I know games-workshop stopped on bits selling but is there anywhere else we might found that kind of things?

Wow, I had to go to GW Online to see for myself and behold, they don't sell the bits. This saddens me and I'm afraid it's bad news for you. They are, in fact, just the FO claws ordered as components last year.

As far as converting Warriors to FOs here is a synopsis:

- Use the Warrior arms as is, shaving off the Gauss Flayer for possible use in Immortal conversion (I could never get mine to look right so I scrapped future attempts). This is nice because you can make Warriors, Immortals, and FOs all from Warrior sprues (and FO claws :P).

- For the claws I pinned them to the arms. To do so without (or with little ;)) injury I filed flat the ball joint on the claws and arm so my pin vise wouldn't slip too much.

- For me, Necron plastic models are some of the best because they are built to be posed in all manners. With ball and socket joints for the head, torso, and arms it requires little effort to get a variety of poses. Thusly, I opted for extreme crouches.

- The legs are the real kicker (pun intended). Some of mine are left stock (standing position). For the others I would sever one leg (on one of them I think I did both legs) at the hip, making sure to make a very clean cut with my hobby knife. It really comes down to imagining the pose you want ahead of time and making the cut at the right angle. From here I generally do a dry run of poses with my two pieces, attaching the leg with the hip and spine to the base when I see what I like. I then pin the free leg to its position.

- You'll notice some of the feet are bent as if stepping. This is easily acheived by cutting a "V" into the foot, discarding the middle and reattaching the toes (do this first if your pose will require it).

- Assemble from the base up, posing the feet first and the head last. I eventually will drape Green Stuff on as flesh.

Bregalad
16-03-2008, 23:24
Wow, I had to go to GW Online to see for myself and behold, they don't sell the bits. This saddens me and I'm afraid it's bad news for you.
It has been announced on warseer over half a year ago, in combinantion with the reconstruction of the online store. Since then, warseer is flooded with "OMG my favorite miniature/bit isn't available any more" threads. Have a search for the various "mail order changes" threads in "other GW discussion".