PDA

View Full Version : The Emperor's Tarot

Xhalax
18-04-2005, 23:53
Ok, this thread is totally stolen from another forum , but it got me wondering.
The Emperor's Tarot...there's supposed to be 78 cards in a full tarot deck. But does anyone know them all?
Also, can anyone shed any light onto their general meanings (I know its dependend on their position and what cards they're dealt with etc)?

Ok, the list so far:

The Cards

The Warrior
The Commander
The Space Marine
The Preacher
The Assassin
The Chaplain
The Astropath
The Judge
The Inquisitor
The High Priest
The Emperor (The most potent card of the deck)
The Daemon
The Traitor
The Warlock
The Mutant
The Heretic
The Kraken
The Savage
The Magus,
The Fabricator
The Hulk
The Harlequin (the wild card of the pack, notoriously difficult to interpret)
The Ship
The Titan
The All-Seeing Eye
The Destroyer
The Jester
The Constellation
The Arrow of Fate
The Beast or the Beast resurgent
The Palace
The Missile
The Nova

The Tarot cards are also divided into suits or Arcana Which are:

Adeptio the Arcana of heroes, servants and great deeds (blue): the Commander, the Warrior, the Assassin and the Space Marine

Discordia the Arcana of enemies and threats (green): the Kraken, the Savage, the Daemon and the wild card, the Harlequin

Mandatio the Arcana of government, stability, wealth and leadership (purple): the Judge, the High Priest, the Inquisitor and the Emperor

Executeria the Arcana of the unknown, exploration, the future and the mind (red): the Magus, the Fabricator, the Astropath and the Hulk

angelspast
19-04-2005, 00:51
Damn, now there's a hard question... :eek:

I can't think of anything that gives specific info on the tarrot's actual cards.

I suppose you will have to look up stories that mention it's use, and come up with the card's/intrepreatations based on those stories. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

I'm curious to see what you come up with though...

Xhalax
19-04-2005, 01:00
I know that the last 5 cards on the list were taken from novels (Iron Hands and Crimson Tears), which gives some explanation as to what the cards that are dealt in a specific order and in relation to other cards, but past that, I've not found much else.

Delicious Soy
19-04-2005, 01:09
There are a few others,the only one I can remember ATM is the Beast or the Beast resurgent.

Xhalax
19-04-2005, 01:14
Thanks Soy.
I've added them to the list. And the Beast reurgent sounds more like what the card would be called when it was dealt in a specific place/pattern rather than it being the actual card's name....well i think it does.

Xhalax
19-04-2005, 23:02
3 more cards added care of Brother Othorio

Sgt John Keel
19-04-2005, 23:17
*Summons Kage*

Well, it's one of his favourites. ;) Although it was a long time since he logged on last time. :(

/Adrian

Xhalax
19-04-2005, 23:54
He's replied the this thread on another website (where i stole the idea from). All the info I posted in the first post is all the stuff that I gather from the original thread, I just thought that the Portenters might be able to add a few more to the list.

Dark Muse
20-04-2005, 00:19
Well I can't help with the Emperor's Tarot, but I can shed a bit of light on the traditional Tarot.

You are correct in that there are 78 cards in a deck. 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. The minor Acrana is somewhat like a traditional deck of cards. There are 4 suits: Wands, Cups, Swords, and Pentacles. Each suit has Ace though 10 plus The Page, The Knight, The Queen, and The King who make up the Court.

I can't remember all the Major Arcana but the obvious ones missing are the Tower, The Hanged Man, and The Lovers. (Ever watch James Bond, "Live and Let Die"?) The meaning of the cards depends on the layout used, the position in the layout, and whether the card is inverted. In general the Major Arcana are the personification of something, the minor Arcana are traits.

A deck of Tarot should not be purchased but should be received as a gift. It should be stored in a pine box and depending on the belief, a silk lining.

That is about all I can remember of the top of my head.

Flame Boy
20-04-2005, 23:58
A deck of Tarot should not be purchased but should be received as a gift. It should be stored in a pine box and depending on the belief, a silk lining.

That is about all I can remember of the top of my head.

I didn't know that until a few weeks ago, so I got my sister a Tarot deck to help her out.

I guess most of the Emperor's Tarot is probably translated roughly from the traditional tarot deck, but I suppose a lot of the subtleties would be different... It would be nice to actually be able to use the Emperor's Tarot properly... Then again, I'd like to be able to try my hand at Farseer runes, but I doubt mine would stay floating in the air... :(

On a similar vein, what is the game "Regicide"? Is it chess as we know it, or a different game with similar rules?

Xhalax
21-04-2005, 00:01
I imainge Regicide to be something along the lines of a mix of chess, draughts/checkers and Risk.

Yggdrasil
10-05-2005, 03:46
Well, if anyone is still reading this thread, I put together what (little) I know of real Tarot and combined it with your list to make a sorta kinda unofficial Emperor's Tarot. So here it is, the major arcana and suits:

Major Arcana:

1.The Harlequin
2.The Magus
3.The Mutant
4.The Fabricator
5.The Emperor
6.The Ecclesiarch
7.The Heretic
8.The Ship
9.The Inquisitor
10.The Nova
11.The Constellation
12.The Titan
13.The Golden Throne
14.Death
15.The Chaplain
16.The Traitor
17.The Palace
18.The Astronomicon
19.The Beast
20.Terra
21.The Ascension
22.The Imperium

Suits:

Swords (blue)
Skulls (green)
Eagles (purple)
Stars (red)

I tried to reconcile both the real Tarot and the parent post as much as possible. I had to add in a few new things so that the meanings would jibe, there was nothing similar to the Hanged Man so I invented the Golden Throne, which has a comparable meaning in 40K. Astronomicon is an easy one for Star, and there was really nothing for Sun so I put in Terra, which is just as central to the Imperium as the Sun is to us now. Since Judgement (second to last) is an event instead of a thing I put in the Ascension, which is a sort of similar event. Everything else in the major arcana should pretty much jibe.

The suits are kinda a trade-off. Swords is pretty much the same for both, but I tried to use actual physical objects so you could get them on the card. How do you put five discords together anyway?

So:
Swords=Swords and Adepts of the Imperium
Skulls=Cups (not really) enemies of the Imperium
Eagles=Pentacles and Servants of the Imperium
Stars=Wands and the Unknown

I think this fits pretty well between random authors making up cards and the real Tarot.

milmot
10-05-2005, 05:50
i think the more important question is:

can we play poker with the emperor's tarot?

Yggdrasil
10-05-2005, 06:15
Sure, if you're prepared to suffer the consequences.

Hmm, two black aces and two black eights... OH SHI-