PDA

View Full Version : The flag of Blood keep VS magic

Releaser
15-03-2008, 23:05
There is a lot of fuss around this banner.There are many spells that inflict damage/wounds which are not magic missiles and thus,some claim that it doesn't work against them (spells that come in mind:flames of the phoenix,rule of burning iron/the spirit of the forge).
Note that it says:"against ranged attacks of any kind".
For me,since those spells are not combat damage and have a range value,won't cancel the effects of the banner.Others say that spells are not ranged attacks but a special kind of damage and the banner should work against normal missile fire and the types of attacks quoted in the parenthesis only (note that there is an etc at the end of the sentence).
Note also that the 6th edition rule book said 5+ ward save VS missiles,not ranged attacks;i think that the "VS missiles" phrase is used for the current rule of the lion cloak as well.
What do you think?

GodHead
15-03-2008, 23:50
Any attack you make at a distance would be covered. There is no rulebook definition, description or use of "ranged attack" and "of any kind" is pretty strong language.

Yehoshua
16-03-2008, 04:31
What about the Comet of Cassandora?

Yade
16-03-2008, 06:46
If you take every spell that causes damage as protected by this banner because they are all technically coming from another spot on the board, then why distinguish them as ranged and not just say; all magic. There is a difference amd this banner protects them from magic missiles and mundane ranged attacks.

GodHead
16-03-2008, 06:50
The reason they can't say it protects them from "all magic" is because a lot of magic isn't an attack. Magic that prevents them from moving, for example is not an attack, as it doesn't cause damage.

The banner can prevent all damage.

Yade
16-03-2008, 06:55
It does not prevent all damage. Just magic and mundane missiles.

GodHead
16-03-2008, 06:56
It prevents "war machines, templates, magic missiles etc."

Necronartum
16-03-2008, 08:01
It prevents "war machines, templates, magic missiles etc."

I'm backing GodHead all the way here. The entry explicitly states 'ranged attacks of any kind', then goes on to include warmachines, mundane/magic missiles in the example list. It is not exclusively those things. IMHO, it seems pretty clear what the intention is, and this is supported by (for a change) sound wording. The banner is in effect when anything attacks the unit from a distance, regardless of source or nature of damage. Not gospel, but certainly how I interpret it.

EvC
16-03-2008, 13:45
Ranged attacks of any kind seems fairly straightforward to me. Must check if Wristbands of Black Gold has the same wording...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-03-2008, 13:50
Indeed, Godhead has the right of it.

The list given is clearly not exhaustive, nor was it meant to be, hence the words 'including, and etcetera (well, etc) being used.

And the Wrist Bands do have the exact same wording EvC

Jack of Blades
16-03-2008, 14:53
Indeed, if the damage is not done in close combat, they have a 4+ ward against it unless specified otherwise (such as the Pit of Shades).

Releaser
17-03-2008, 05:40
If this won't be in the next faq,my LGS won't agree and the Blood knights will be killed in a row by the spirit of the forge; by a lucky high elf with the book of Hoeth:mad:

AzureDruchii
17-03-2008, 06:33
Then they are idiots lol. It says ranged attack. That means it gives a 4+ save against ETC. If they wanted it against all magic it would also block close combat spells such as Cleansing Fire (or whatever the WP one is) which is obviously not the intent. If your local gaming store really is playing like that then take GG with GW for 1pt per unit and dont expect to be able to cast into combat with IoN or Dance. FUN!

-Rex