PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite rulebook?

AdmiralDick
16-03-2008, 00:12
i'm afraid to admit that i am something of a rulebook fanatic. i voraciously buy up any and every rulebook that i can get my hands on whether i play the game or not. in fact i nearly own every rulebook GW have ever published for 40k and a fair number of Warhammer ones.

today i got through the post my 1991 copy of the Warhammer/40k Seige book (to go with RT) and i have lovingly poured over it all day, trying to soak up every detail of the thing. i just love reading through the rulebooks, i love the snippets of background, the art work, the clever rules and pretty much everything else.

and i got to wondering whether anyone else shared a passion for rulebooks, or even found that there was one rulebook in particular that got the really exicted about the hobby everytime they read it.

so what's your favourite rulebook/codex/supplement? you don't have to love it just for the rules, but then there's nothing stopping from saying that it is simply the best rules ever written. maybe it brings the game alive for you, or adds to you veiw of the 40k universe. maybe its a Codex for a single race, or maybe its a supplement applicable to all. it doesn't even have to be current (it could be from RT, 2nd or even 3rd). in fact i would go so far as to throw it question out to any game set in the 40kiverse. maybe you love the art of the Gorkamorka Book; maybe the smell of the Space Fleet manual brings back good memories; or maybe its something even i've never heard of.

what ever you pick is up to you. but lets us know why as well.

NastyNymph
16-03-2008, 00:20
well although most of the books are pretty badly written, I do like the new Chaos rulebook, its simple to use and understand, and I like how its not weighed down by tons of useless things, its streamlined.

I also love the Battlefleet gothis, Mordheim, Inquisitor and Necromunda books, there just easily the best things written by GW ever really

wickedvoodoo
16-03-2008, 00:55
I like the core rulebooks for 40k, both 3rd and 4th ed were stuffed full of really good artwork. Only looked at 2nd ed and rogue trader a few times so not the best person to comment on them, i like the creature feature part in RT.

My favorite codex is the 4th ed Tyranids, lots of very good fluff, a nice pictures section and an awesome army list.

EDIT

Oh yeah the necromunda books too, they are awesome.

Captin Korea!
16-03-2008, 01:08
3rd Ed rulebook, I use it as the "crushinator" lol.

Eryx_UK
16-03-2008, 01:17
I still have a thing for my copy of Rogue Trader. Theres so much in there and I love the old artwork before they tinkered with the setting.

Bloodknight
16-03-2008, 01:28
The Gorkamorka "uvver book" and the Chaos books from RT (Slaves to Darkness and Realm of Chaos) are my favourites. I also like the 2nd edition Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle codices a lot because of the artworks.

dblaz3r
16-03-2008, 02:24
Anything I can get my greedy little hands on :D
I really like the new ork codex right now and have a bunch of other stuff to get through before I can definately say which is number one.

Drogmir
16-03-2008, 02:33
I enjoy the RT book and the 3rd book.

The RT offered a bit of a Judge Dredd Styled 40K universe which has been long gone. The 3rd book offered the decency of providing a All Army List at the end part, Which i loved.

Now I didn't have to go buy a codex to see how my opponent's army worked.

Codsticker
16-03-2008, 02:44
My favourite rulebook is the Flames of War rulebook. I like the pictures of lots of little tanks.

Thirdeye
16-03-2008, 03:02
The first Epic Space Marine Rule book (SM1). I didn't know, just something about it. The nostalgia mostly I guess. It still takes me back. Good rules too. Best thing JJ did. Would work for 40K advanced. Really.

Lionsbane
16-03-2008, 03:17
Rogue Trader, all those plot and sub plot tables. Not on par with the original ADnD DMG which is the best rulebook of all time, but the best of GWs work by far. After that comes the two chaos tomes.