PDA

View Full Version : blood drinker question

Negafex
16-03-2008, 05:38
can it restore more than one wound a turn to vampire units?

example-my lord who has blood drinker is joined to a unit of blood knights numbering 5, 3 dead in a previous turn so the unit is down to 2 and the lord. can he, with the blood drinker, inflict 3 wounds of damage and being the slain riders back? is each wound resolved in its own instance of the incantation of nekhet or are they all resolved as one instance? and what about the mounts, do we just not worry about them and bring the riders back with their mounts regardless?

thanks

najo
16-03-2008, 07:01
The blood drinker clearly says for each unsaved wound inflicited by the weapon, the wielder (or the unit he is with) immediately regains a single wound suffered earlier in battle, as if Invocation of Nehek were cast on them. So, each wound is targetted seperately, and units can benefit from multiple castings of IoN. I think it clearly restores an equal number of wounds to what it causes divided between character and unit as you wise, reagrdless of whether the unit is mounted, vampire or infantry.

Necronartum
16-03-2008, 08:15
An interesting point.

Entry for Blood Drinker states 'restores wound...as if IoN had been cast...'

Entry for IoN states 'Vampires...non-infantry units...only ever regain a single Wound'.

By that reference, I would say that despite the number of wounds you cause with a blood drinker, you can only ever restore a single wound to Blood Knights in the same unit. They are after all, both Vampires and a non-infantry unit and the IoN is very clear.

I think the inclusion of the 'as if IoN had been cast' in the Blood Drinker entry intends for it to work like this. Else why include it?

As for splitting the wounds between mount and rider...I am unsure. I am very new to Warhammer and wouldn't be able to comment. However, I would assume that you only every resurrect the rider, else use of the blood drinker by Vampires in units of Blood Knights would be pointless (only every restoring one wound, but having to restore two (mount and rider) to regain another model in the unit). Also, I'm not sure whether non-monstrous mounts can be slain separately. If thats the case then that would further support my assumption.

Delmont
16-03-2008, 08:33
Nec, you need to quote the whole rule and not omit parts of it otherwise you lose the context of the rule. The full rule states, "For each unsaved wound inflicted by the Blood Drinker, the wielder (or unit he is with) immediately regains a single would suffered earlier in the battle, as if Invocation of Nehek had been cast on them." This item is available to vampires only. Now the first part of the rule tells you what the sword does. Each unsaved wound the wielder inflicts heals one would on the user or unit as if IoN had been cast. It is pretty clear since it never talks about adding them up and distributing them like IoN. I think that since it specifies each unsaved wound each wound is treated like a separate casting.

As for the mount question, a non-monstrous mount's wounds are never used for anything, so one wound healed would bring back one blood knight, mount and all.

Necronartum
16-03-2008, 08:38
Nec, you need to quote the whole rule and not omit parts of it otherwise you lose the context of the rule. The full rule states, "For each unsaved wound inflicted by the Blood Drinker, the wielder (or unit he is with) immediately regains a single would suffered earlier in the battle, as if Invocation of Nehek had been cast on them." This item is available to vampires only. Now the first part of the rule tells you what the sword does. Each unsaved wound the wielder inflicts heals one would on the user or unit as if IoN had been cast. It is pretty clear since it never talks about adding them up and distributing them like IoN. I think that since it specifies each unsaved wound each wound is treated like a separate casting.

As for the mount question, a non-monstrous mount's wounds are never used for anything, so one wound healed would bring back one blood knight, mount and all.

Sorry, didn't want to quote it all in case I was going to infringe on copyright. I see what your saying now. And I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

juample
16-03-2008, 10:36

QFT

And yes... they can attack if they have the chance to attack (initiative) (wich is no hard when the wielder is a vampire)

Dinadan
16-03-2008, 11:40
An interesting point.

Entry for Blood Drinker states 'restores wound...as if IoN had been cast...'

Entry for IoN states 'Vampires...non-infantry units...only ever regain a single Wound'.

By that reference, I would say that despite the number of wounds you cause with a blood drinker, you can only ever restore a single wound to Blood Knights in the same unit. They are after all, both Vampires and a non-infantry unit and the IoN is very clear.

I think the inclusion of the 'as if IoN had been cast' in the Blood Drinker entry intends for it to work like this. Else why include it?Because IoN also includes a strict order for regenerating wounds, e.g. if the Vampire was in a unit of Blood Knights which had lost its Kastellan and two normal knights, then he'd have to reserect the Kastellan before the basic knights.

Negafex
16-03-2008, 20:51
ok cool. that makes that combo definitely worth it. oh, whats that, you killed half my blood knights with shooting before we got to you? well then let my vampire attack and bring back all youve slain >:D talk about a badass unit

Dinadan
16-03-2008, 21:31
Its even more baddass if you have a model with the Banner of the Dead Legion in it as each one that comes back would add 4 to your unit strength (2 for being cavalry and doubled for said magic banner)

grishnakh99
19-03-2008, 02:32
I believe you could add a better banner to this unit such as Banner of Strigos (my favourite), Drakenhoff Banner, or Banner of the Bloodkeep. The last two banners are very expensive for a unit that already is extremely expensive (especially considering you'll have a vampire with blood drinker in it, this unit will cost at least 500 pts, if the vampire is a hero level one).