PDA

View Full Version : E-mail address snooping...

IncubiLord
16-03-2008, 06:00
Right, I've not had the fun of this one before, so I figured I'd ask the crowd here (you guys often have something useful)...

I've got about four e-mail addresses that I think are for the same person. I won't go into details as to why a crazy person would have four e-mail accounts, all of which I'm aware of, but only one of which that person will admit to possessing, so don't ask.

There's a few sites out there that will check phone-books for a name and possibly an e-mail addy, but most that I'm finding would like for me to pay for their service. I don't want to do that.

So, when you've got e-mail accounts that you want to check up on, how do you guys normally go about it?

The pestilent 1
16-03-2008, 06:09
Chuck it into Google -It's a long shot, but it might come up as the registered account on a Forum or some such.

Search Myspace, Facebook and what-have-you for the email.

Try MSN.. space, or whatever it's called.

All pretty far shots really, but your bound to get something.

CyberShadow
16-03-2008, 11:15
It depends what type of email addresses they are. If they are public ones - Hotmail, Yahoo, etc - then you really cant. I could sign up to ten Hotmail accounts and not once give my real name and details. If they are private ones where he owns the web address, you could find the URL owner name.

Wintermute
16-03-2008, 13:50
I'm moving this to the Computers & Consoles forum.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

IncubiLord
17-03-2008, 00:46
I'm moving this to the Computers & Consoles forum.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition
I looked in Computers & Consoles, and the place is all about gaming. While I debated whether or not the subheader would include e-mail detective-ry, I decided that the crowd in Random Musings was more appropriate.

You do what you have to do, but I feel that I picked the right section by posting this in RM.

It depends what type of email addresses they are. If they are public ones - Hotmail, Yahoo, etc - then you really cant. I could sign up to ten Hotmail accounts and not once give my real name and details. If they are private ones where he owns the web address, you could find the URL owner name.
One of them was private (I think), but it expired a while back and Google won't tell me crap about it. Is there a site with the back-logs so that I could see who owned the address and what they did?

The one I know is legit is from Earthlink.net, but that doesn't really help...

The other two are from aol.com and live.com - free-mail services. Since I have a yahoo free-mail account, I know it's a long-shot, but I was hoping somebody would have a good idea or two for different approaches.

Chuck it into Google -It's a long shot, but it might come up as the registered account on a Forum or some such.

Search Myspace, Facebook and what-have-you for the email.

Try MSN.. space, or whatever it's called.

All pretty far shots really, but your bound to get something.
Sadly, Google, Myspace, and Facebook are no help. I'd already tried Google, but the others were a nice idea.

I can con the registration pages on aol.com and live.com into confirming that the addresses I've got are still unavailable for new applicants, but that's not much more than I already knew.

I'm looking into using the e-mail IPs to track their sources now, we'll see how that goes...

Gue'la Koholic
17-03-2008, 18:27
Google is pretty much your only hope here. As for tracking the email, via the IP address, that's a longshot too. Unless all the emails were sent from the same server/source, which they wouldn't be if it was Earthlink and Live, etc, they'd have different IP addresses. Technically, the provider should have a log of the IP addresses, but good luck accessing that database. In the states here, you'd need a court order to unseal the records.

Your best bet, if you think it's someone you know, is try and flip the tables and send them anonymous emails to try and get them to spill their guts. You know, pretend to be someone else, chat em up, etc. Technically, you could also send an email to all the known accounts, and embed an image in the email that is only accessible from a web server that you control. Then, you can see which IP addresses called up your server to access the picture. If they match, bingo. This is a spin on the way spammers include pictures in emails to validate email addresses as alive or dead. Obviously, approach B here would require a better then average understanding of servers and networking.

scarletsquig
17-03-2008, 23:34
Technically, you could also send an email to all the known accounts, and embed an image in the email that is only accessible from a web server that you control. Then, you can see which IP addresses called up your server to access the picture. If they match, bingo.

This one works a charm. Also, if they have webspace, you can acquire personal details from that.

Any smart person will be using proxies and obscure email providers to keep a lid on things.

IncubiLord
17-03-2008, 23:41
I'm not sure exactly how smart I'd say this person is, but checking the IP-trail from e-mail headers didn't get me a certain answer.

I'd appreciate a post (or PM) on how to set up such an IP-logging website and send out the bait-pic. I've done a little coding to set up websites, but this one is out of my realm of experience.