PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert 2 anyone?

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 14:13
"I offer a special invitation to the citizens of the United States from the great Soviet Union. See your Liberty! How she lies broken before you. In but a moment's time your once powerful city of New York will but follow in her footsteps! The choice is yours. You can continue to mourn your past, or surrender, and join us in the great Soviet revolution!"
- Premier Alexander Romanov

I have been playing RA2 (and to a lesser extent Yuri's Revenge) for years now. In my humble opinion it is the BEST-GAME-EVER.

I play online regularly (username: Zaphod42), and like to think I'm sort of ok at the game (ish...).

Anyhow, anyone else play much? Thoughts on the game?

Edit: Here are all the usernames that have been posted thus far:

answer_is_42 - Zaphod42

Spangley Special - Spangley

Blagrot Squigbreff - Blagrot

The Guy - Ristblade

Gaz - Jasco

Goq Gar
16-03-2008, 14:14
I do play, but cannot figure out how to get it to play online O.o

Anyway...

KIROV AIRSHIP REPORTING!

NastyNymph
16-03-2008, 14:16
I used to play it ALLOT, but I stopped because it was too easy, but it was goo while it lasted

Spangley Special
16-03-2008, 14:36
as you know i have just started to play this again and i am loving it, but every attempt at playing online has resulted in me getting spanked rather quickly.

"i can go anywhere"

NastyNymph
16-03-2008, 14:50
there is 1 thing in RA that will NEVER get old
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkduC4nRWAc
that song

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 14:50
I do play, but cannot figure out how to get it to play online O.o

Anyway...

KIROV AIRSHIP REPORTING!

http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/index.php

Follow that link and you'll be playing online in no time!

Ah, the Kirov airship, so very cool, and so very useless...

Goq Gar
16-03-2008, 14:52
[QUOTE=answer_is_42;2443092Ah, the Kirov airship, so very cool, and so very useless...[/QUOTE]

Sir I do take offence! I built 300 of those in a game once and did literally cover the entire map with craters! (Took a screenshot once, it was ace :D, lost it though... I didn't stop crying for 3 days.)

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 14:57
Sir I do take offence! I built 300 of those in a game once and did literally cover the entire map with craters! (Took a screenshot once, it was ace :D, lost it though... I didn't stop crying for 3 days.)

Yes, but try that online. It just doesn't work...

@Spangley Special: What's your username (if I may ask)?

Goq Gar
16-03-2008, 15:08
Well, i've made my nickname (surprisingly): goq gar

And i'm just about to select a country location... but my country isnt there, and I dont want to put "rest of world" because thats never ever ever ever a good idea.

So im currently looking on google for the closest country to me (im in the United Arab Emirates) and would appreciate any advice :D

Spangley Special
16-03-2008, 16:25
user/nickname is Spangley but i am useless, i even got called a noob :cries:

Killgore
16-03-2008, 16:40
I think iv only ever won 1 RA2 online battle

that was when i was playing russia and my construction yards and warfactory got destroyed by zoggin jumpjets

i built a giant clone army of conscripts big enough to make Emperor Palpatine jellous and zerged my foe to submission

dr.oetk3r
16-03-2008, 16:47
I think iv only ever won 1 RA2 online battle

that was when i was playing russia and my construction yards and warfactory got destroyed by zoggin jumpjets

i built a giant clone army of conscripts big enough to make Emperor Palpatine jellous and zerged my foe to submission

That's the way!

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 17:36
user/nickname is Spangley but i am useless, i even got called a noob :cries:

EVERYONE is called a noob, that's the internet for you. I just got called a noob for using dogs...

So what countries do people use? I'm a British/Iraq fan meself...

NastyNymph
16-03-2008, 17:39
EVERYONE is called a noob, that's the internet for you. I just got called a noob for using dogs...

So what countries do people use? I'm a British/Iraq fan meself...
I used Britain for snipers, America for para spam, and germany for fun tank
for the others I used Russia mainly

neXus6
16-03-2008, 17:44
Red Alert 2, the LAST C&C game before EA swept in line westwood against a wall and shot them then ruined the franchise. Not that I'm bitter or anything....much.

I've only played multiplayer a couple of times but the one that really sticks was a game where we set it to all oil derricks instead of tiberium fields. I was lybia and got hit badly half way through, enemy army punched in with my con yard being taken out before I managed to kill the army off.
But I struggled on, I had all my oil derricks well defended, as i set about building demolition trucks and taking out ALL his oil derricks. Eventually he ran out of resources and I won. :D

Huw_Dawson
16-03-2008, 17:46
The game is very good.

When I played against the AI one time, I played as Russia and just used Crazy Ivans... that was amusing.

CRAZED RUSSIAN HORDE! CHARGE!!

- Huw

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 17:54
Red Alert 2, the LAST C&C game before EA swept in line westwood against a wall and shot them then ruined the franchise. Not that I'm bitter or anything....much.

EA Games: ******* up everything...

Yeah, I'm rather bitter too.

Then they bring out games like Generals under the C&C banner. Makes me angry.

@ HUW: Crazy Ivans are pure evil. One killed General Carville. :mad:

neXus6
16-03-2008, 18:11
One of the first games I ever played was Dune II: Battle for Arrakis so technically I've been a Westwood fan boy since the age of about 7. :p

The ONLY reason I bought the "first decade" box was because various former associates broke/stole my tib sun and Red Alert 2 discs. :rolleyes:

Man I really need to load up RA2 and Yuri's again. I don't think I ever finished the allied campaign just the Soviet.

Do have a fairly fond memory of the last soviet mission, the Cronosphere is protected by HEAPS of SAM sites...that's as maybe but they couldn't stop 15 Kirovs from getting to the Sphere, only 1 needed to make it really...3 did. :p

NastyNymph
16-03-2008, 18:13
EA Games: ******* up everything...
not everything, theres plenty of decent EA games

neXus6
16-03-2008, 18:17
No recent ones. Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam were fun, BF2 and 2142 were stale and repetitive, 100% of EA's sports games there are better versions made by other companies.
But that is off topic. :)

Blagrot Squigbreff
16-03-2008, 18:18
Ah, Dune 2. the first game I ever got on release day, well pestered my parents into getting on release day;). Those Harkonnan special tanks that blew up when killed were great fun as were the mind-controlling missile tanks the green guys (Ordos?) got.

Anyway I've re-installed RA2 so I'll hopefully see some of you guys online, be nice though, I was completely rubbish last time I tried to play it.:cries:

Spangley Special
16-03-2008, 19:52
am i the only one who hates yuri's revenge?

anywhoo i added you on my buddies list

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 20:50
am i the only one who hates yuri's revenge?

anywhoo i added you on my buddies list

I don't hate it, but it is a step down on the multiplayer side from RA2 I'll agree.

I'll add you to mine.

neXus6
16-03-2008, 21:10
My apologies for the hijack but...

Yeah Blagrot the Harkonnen Devastator, and yes it was Ordos that had the mind control gas missile tanks.

Harkonnen and Ordos had so much cool stuff, but for some reason I only ever played and completed the game with Atreides.

I do have the floppy discs around here somewhere. :cool:

And why don't space marines or kasrkin look more like either of these...

Blagrot Squigbreff
16-03-2008, 21:30
My Amiga copy still works, as does the Amiga itself :D. But yes the heavy troopers still look great.

Are we actually allowed to post those links? I'm not complaining but I don't know if the mods will approve.

I think I finished it more than once with each faction:o, I loved that game to death. I think I might just load it up again, wonder if anyone ever found a way to make it Multiplayer...

PS. Many apologies for the threadjack from me also. :)

neXus6
16-03-2008, 21:45
Seem I'm in a for a few weeks of RTS playing what with that and C&C fever reinstilled in me, cheers 42. :D

answer_is_42
16-03-2008, 21:46
My apologies for the hijack but...

Many apologies for the threadjack from me also. :)

*Glares* :p

Blagrot what's you RA2 username?

Blagrot Squigbreff
17-03-2008, 10:10
*Glares*

Grins innocently and gives him a big wave:D.

I've actually only just signed up this morning, RA2 wouldn't let me online before. Nothing a reinstall didn't fix though and it now loads up more reliably so there was probably something corrupt with the first install. Anyway I'm using Blagrot again, I'll add everyone later when I have time to play, just be gentle 'kay;).

answer_is_42
17-03-2008, 19:57
Anyway I'm using Blagrot again, I'll add everyone later when I have time to play, just be gentle 'kay;).

Added you.

So the question now is; who wants a game? :D

neXus6
17-03-2008, 20:02
Hmm...I appear to have misplaced my First Decade box. I'm going to have another damn good search before buying another one though. :p

Thoth62
17-03-2008, 20:07
As much as I love it, I do have one major, major problem with the first decade. A brilliant idea, by the way.

None of the mission briefing videos except for the first, work for the soviet campaign in Red Alert... It makes me all sad like.

Does anyone know if there was a patch or something that fixed that?

Blagrot Squigbreff
17-03-2008, 20:18
I'm up for a game now if you want mate, I'm pretty rusty though.

I showed another friend the strike-team link as well and he reminded me of the biggest problem with the Kirov, he managed to get 4 to my base once when I had no real AA. He called me all sorts of funny names when I chronosphered them back to the opporsite corner :evilgrin:.

answer_is_42
17-03-2008, 20:27
I'm up for a game now if you want mate, I'm pretty rusty though.

I showed another friend the strike-team link as well and he reminded me of the biggest problem with the Kirov, he managed to get 4 to my base once when I had no real AA. He called me all sorts of funny names when I chronosphered them back to the opporsite corner :evilgrin:.

Sure, RA2 or YR (PM me to avoid clutter)?

I didn't know you could chronosphere Kirovs, must try that one sometime...

Spangley Special
17-03-2008, 21:08
i'd be up for a game now too

Gaz
17-03-2008, 21:38
Once I get around to reinstalling the decade box (curse you hard drive failures /shakes fist) I'm certainly up for a bash ^^

Spangley Special
17-03-2008, 23:06
cheers for the game/lesson blagrot. Now i know why evry one seems to build soo much quicker than me :)

neXus6
17-03-2008, 23:10
As much as I love it, I do have one major, major problem with the first decade. A brilliant idea, by the way.

None of the mission briefing videos except for the first, work for the soviet campaign in Red Alert... It makes me all sad like.

Does anyone know if there was a patch or something that fixed that?

Man trust EA to **** up something when just repackaging a game. :rolleyes:
I'm also far from 100% sure but my mate said he thinks one of the endings of the original C&C is different to the old CD version.

*continues digging for the box*

scarletsquig
17-03-2008, 23:29
I spent about 10 hours playing this a couple of days ago, was fun to go back and complete the game again (was ridiculously easy though.. ignore defence, grizzly/prism tank zerg rush everything, and on the levels where you only need to destroy certain buildings, harrier spam gets things finished in about 5 minutes).

Always liked the cheesey videos that westwood made (the ra2 ending with romanov in his boxers is awesome), the main thing I'm bugged by is EA treating the background a bit too seriously with their titles, I can't ever see them doing cool stuff like the hidden giant ant missions in ra1. Hopefully they'll keep Kari Wurher as tanya for ra3, although she might be a bit too MILFy now...

Outlaw289
17-03-2008, 23:53
Hopefully they'll keep Kari Wurher as tanya for ra3, although she might be a bit too MILFy now...

Don't see why that would be a problem :cool:

answer_is_42
18-03-2008, 19:05
Always liked the cheesey videos that westwood made (the ra2 ending with romanov in his boxers is awesome), the main thing I'm bugged by is EA treating the background a bit too seriously with their titles, I can't ever see them doing cool stuff like the hidden giant ant missions in ra1

Cheesy? They're not cheesy! They're awesome! The guy who played Romanov was great, his speech during the first allied mission (first post) is just brilliant.

Those giant ants were tough! The missions took me ages...

BTW I beat Blagrot good... :p

Blagrot Squigbreff
19-03-2008, 13:14
Curse you! and your tendancy not to get all your troops shot by superior numbers. :p

It's okay tho, I just beat Spangley up afterwards :D.

If anyone else fancies a game then feel free to PM, I'm often lurking somewhere online as I work from home. BTW does any one actually play as the Soviets, I've had 5 games now and they were all Allies Vs Allies.

I think the videos are cheesy but that's a good thing, they don't take themselves too seriously. The best video for me is the intro to YR - first Dugan's big grin when he's trying to talk Yuri out of taking over the world and then my favourite quote. 'We did win the war, you know.'

answer_is_42
19-03-2008, 18:11
Curse you! and your tendancy not to get all your troops shot by superior numbers. :p

It's okay tho, I just beat Spangley up afterwards :D.

If anyone else fancies a game then feel free to PM, I'm often lurking somewhere online as I work from home. BTW does any one actually play as the Soviets, I've had 5 games now and they were all Allies Vs Allies.

I'll have to give Spangley a game soon. :D

People do use Soviets. I used to use them all the time. it's just they're not very good, that's why you don't see many...

Flame Boy
19-03-2008, 20:17
From my experience, having the ability to see the whole map using the Tech Centre as Allies was far better than any trick the Soviets have, though I do enjoy playing both sides, I feel dismantling an opponent with precisely applied counters with the Allies is more satisfying. I stung one of my friends and his Apoc tank antics by stealthily building up loads oh anti-tank weapons under a gap generator. Every time he attacked, I could see what he was building and I had the counter ready before he had the chance to attack me.

Overall, I'd go with Allies. The cheeky gits that they are.

answer_is_42
19-03-2008, 20:29
From my experience, having the ability to see the whole map using the Tech Centre as Allies was far better than any trick the Soviets have, though I do enjoy playing both sides, I feel dismantling an opponent with precisely applied counters with the Allies is more satisfying. I stung one of my friends and his Apoc tank antics by stealthily building up loads oh anti-tank weapons under a gap generator. Every time he attacked, I could see what he was building and I had the counter ready before he had the chance to attack me.

Overall, I'd go with Allies. The cheeky gits that they are.

Exactly my thoughts. However, I do enjoy building up a massive conscript army and charging en masse. But not as much as sticking a SEAL up the commie's backside, as it were...

Cade
19-03-2008, 22:10
I love the Allies.

The Spy Satellite is the greatest thing in the universe. You can spot everything that happens. No more sneak attacks.

Love Chronosphering my opponent's ore miners into the water. A classic move.

Or Chronoing 9 Prism tanks just outside his base and watching them take out 50% of it before they die.

pwrgmrguard
19-03-2008, 22:44
Desolator spam is my tactic... a slow inexorable advance across cthe battle field, punctuated by periodic nuke hits.

Thoth62
20-03-2008, 00:22
It's just to bad they are the suck against vehicles and buildings... Otherwise, I love them to bits.

But I guess that's where the nukes come in.

answer_is_42
20-03-2008, 20:44
Desolator spam is my tactic... a slow inexorable advance across cthe battle field, punctuated by periodic nuke hits.

and then your enemy builds a sniper, a chronosphere and 6-9 prisim tanks, and you lose...

If everyone lists their usernames d' yah want me to put them in the opening post?

Thoth62
20-03-2008, 21:03
I don't think I've ever played online, but as soon as I get my new computer, I might give it a shot. It should only be a couple of weeks.

Spangley Special
20-03-2008, 22:21
and then your enemy builds a sniper, a chronosphere and 6-9 prisim tanks, and you lose...

If everyone lists their usernames d' yah want me to put them in the opening post?

rocketiers FTW:D

Cade
21-03-2008, 00:30
If only you could get the Moon Rocketeers form Yuris Revenge in multiplayer.........

They seriously rocked.

Moonraker.................

Flame Boy
21-03-2008, 22:55
Those Cosmonauts were just so good it was silly. :-D

Also, as allies, using a sniper in an IFV in skirmish was a really great way to get elite IFV's that you could use for mobile air defence, or whatever you use IFV's for normally.

Oh, and playing Naval maps with the french grand cannon was fun, but I think the most amusing way to win a naval map is to wander a small naval fleet under the opponent's nose, and when they leave their naval yard to attack your fleet, sneak in with dolphins, as they murder naval yards in numbers, then you can double back and help out your diversion fleet take out their naval assets. Again, I love Allies for letting you be a sneaky git. :-p

The Guy
22-03-2008, 13:39
I'm Iraq usually and just hope that I get a crate with a reveal map thing in it :D

Can anybody tell me what to do on that XWIS link thing? I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Edit: Oh and my RA1 and CNC1 aren't working on my first decade. Anyone know why? It won't start the game up.

answer_is_42
23-03-2008, 18:00
Can anybody tell me what to do on that XWIS link thing? I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

there's always one...

1. Top left corner, click 'Red Alert 2'
2. Read first paragraph
3. Follow instructions in said paragraph
4. Play RA2 online

Neknoh
23-03-2008, 19:07
The problems with the Allies are few but huge.

1. Rocketeers, the sheer abillity to spam these early-game is brutal
2. Harriers, an airfleet of 30 or so of these will defend the base no problem AND be able to take out an entire enemy base in about three runs with minimal losses
3. The Spy Satelite, seeing the entire battlefield is nothing short of a HUGE boost, unless you build it lategame and realise that the half which you could not see originally is completely covered in conscripts, tesla-coils and flak-cannons.

Although, placing a few of those spider-drones arround areas where miners go is a very nasty thing to do as soviets, simply because they are nothing short of excellent at dealing with tanks and similar.

Now, I'll see if I can get my RA2 up and running in a while, name will likely be Neknoh or some variation thereof

The Guy
23-03-2008, 22:04
there's always one...

1. Top left corner, click 'Red Alert 2'
2. Read first paragraph
3. Follow instructions in said paragraph
4. Play RA2 online

Thanks!
Sorry :(
Edit: Right I've sorted it [I think] Username is Ristblade. Couldn't fit the W :(
And I've added most of the peoples usernames that I could find. Also can you still make clans? If so I'm all for a warseer clan :p

answer_is_42
23-03-2008, 22:29
Also can you still make clans? If so I'm all for a warseer clan :p

You can indeed still make clans, but what such things do is a complete mystery to me...

pwrgmrguard
24-03-2008, 03:13
If/wen i get my pc fixed i'll be in. And for Serious play, Germany FTW.

The Guy
24-03-2008, 22:53
Who's better? Boris or Tanya? I'd say Boris. He's made of win.

Spangley Special
24-03-2008, 22:56
tanya, she's made of **** :D

Blagrot Squigbreff
24-03-2008, 23:01
I'd have to say Tanya too. Who would you want to have around? A large hairy Russian man or two generations-worth of hot (if slightly scary) warrior chick with a strong tendancy to lean over maps and tables in a low-cut top. :D

The Guy
25-03-2008, 00:02
Lol that depends. In a scrap or in normal marital homes? XD
Boris has a bigger gun. Boris wins :p

answer_is_42
25-03-2008, 12:18
I'd rather have a sniper, Boris and Tanya are rather rubbish...

Neknoh
25-03-2008, 12:42
Just go for a Yuri Prime and have him mindcontroll the hottest chick in the area for you ¤shruggs¤ :evilgrin:

answer_is_42
25-03-2008, 13:03
I've added all the usernames that have been posted thus far to the opening post. If you're not on the list post it here and I'll add it.

Want a game? PM me...

I'm normally online around 7pm-10pm (UK Time).

If people want I'll look into a clan thingy...

Gaz
25-03-2008, 16:15
it would appear that I've managed to get to play online with the username Jasco, and since my WoW sub is gone for the time being I'll probably be on a lot :D

answer_is_42
25-03-2008, 17:07
it would appear that I've managed to get to play online with the username Jasco, and since my WoW sub is gone for the time being I'll probably be on a lot :D

Added.

I'll add everyone to my buddy list as well.

Spangley Special
25-03-2008, 19:37
if you haven't a;ready added me then please do so, Spangley :)

BPK
27-03-2008, 13:20
@neXus6 i used nukes for that mission.

the AI diddnt repair the 'sphere.