PDA

View Full Version : codex army vrs story line fluff

max the dog
16-03-2008, 18:48
It's a simple question;
In your humble opinion, should the codex army match the 40K story line fluff or should the 40K story line fluff match the codex army?

malkkis
16-03-2008, 18:56
IMHO, codex army should match the 40k fluff. Otherwise, GW would have to write it's official fluff for every codex army there is, or am I just misunderstanding your point?:wtf:

max the dog
16-03-2008, 19:00
IMHO, codex army should match the 40k fluff. Otherwise, GW would have to write it's official fluff for every codex army there is, or am I just misunderstanding your point?:wtf:

You understood it perfectly.

Bunnahabhain
16-03-2008, 19:49
It's a simple question;
In your humble opinion, should the codex army match the 40K story line fluff or should the 40K story line fluff match the codex army?

No. The codex armies shouldn't match the fluff

Marines are the problem. Most other races fit their fluff reasonably well, but marines simply are nowhere near good enough to fit their fluff. If you go with the movie marine rules, then they do, but that would not be fun if they're in use every time you play marines.

I think the Marine (all kinds, inc spikey) codexs should include the movie marine rules, with a note saying they are not balanced, and should only be used ocassionaly, and in friendly games with opponenets permission, so people do have a set of rules that match the fluff, but are not using them all the time.

I'd like a set of balanced codexs, where every army fits their fluff as much as possible, but if I have to pick one, balance is more important than following the background exactly.

Caelnaethon
16-03-2008, 20:24
In my opinion, the question to ask is "which version of the storyline?" Everyone can quote a bunch of stories that depict a Space Marine as an unstoppable one-man army, drawing from all manner of different codeces and editions, and yet none of it invalidates the stories that show the Marines being casually butchered by Necrons, Tyranids or Eldar Exarchs.

Should the in-game abilities of a Space Marine match the legendry and propaganda that we read so much of? No, because then all the things that are better than a Marine would need to scaled up so high that we'd be saying goodbye to the 1-10 statistic scale. It's better, in my opinion, to take it that the stats are more or less accurate, while trying to ensure that the core principles of the background are respected as much as possible. A very different balance to strike, by any account, but there it is.

MrBigMr
16-03-2008, 21:25
I try to fit my armies to their fluff, which is sometime hard as I write it myself and GW keeps changing their codexes and army compositions all the time, making it hard to keep the armies true to their fluff.