PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian-themed Blood Dragons @ 2K

DoomedToRepeatIt
16-03-2008, 20:14
So, I've been wanting to mix and match Bretonnian pieces and undead pieces to create a Bret-themed VC army ever since I got the old VC book (never happened; didn't have the cash). But now I do have the cash not to mention a new army book, so here's what I've come up with.

Vampire Lord (365)
- Level 3 upgrade
- Hellsteed
- Blood Drinker
- Dread Knight
- Lord of the Dead

Vampire (140)
- Dread Knight
- Lord of the Dead

Wight King (177)
- Barded Skeletal Steed
- BSB with Banner of Hellish Vigor
- Lance

15x Skeletons (155)
- Full Command
- Spears

15x Skeletons (155)
- Full Command
- Spears

15x Skeletons (140)
- Full Command

7x Black Knights (236)
- Full Command
- Barded Skeletal Steeds

5x Blood Knights (325)
- Full Command

5x Blood Knights (325)
- Full Command

So, the tactics here are actually quite simple. All three of my cavalry units are free to roam as they please -- the Bloods are Vampires and so can march themselves, while with the Banner of Hellish Vigor, the Wight King and his boys can also march themselves. The Bloods will likely work as a pair, seeking to get front and flank charges on the same unit. That many powerful attacks is likely to crush most opponents. Meanwhile, the Black Knights can either go traipsing off through woods/villages/rock-faced cliffs/what-have-you, and either go war machine hunting or get some more of those awful flank charges we all know and love.

Meanwhile, the two vampires are going to stay behind the three blocks of skellies while they advance, constanting casting IoN and (hopefully) bringing their strengths up in excess of 20 by the time the bone-boys get stuck in. Are foot troops perfect screeners for knights? Not exactly, but my cavalry doesn't need the boost their presence provides and at least they're not being charged. The Lord can then use his flying mount to attack wherever the enemy needs a good thrashing the greatest, with IoN and his sword to help keep him alive. The second vampire will, unfortunately, be limited to charging the same units that the skellies are stuck in with, but I would exactly call a vampire in combat with 60+ skellies a bad thing (for me, anyway).

Give me both barrels, fellahs. Let me know what you think (and keep the theme in mind, eh? The first person to mention Varghulfs, zombie tar pits, or a corpse cart is going to get my size ten hobnail boot buried in a dark corner of their anatomy).

Preacher
16-03-2008, 20:52
It think it looks pretty interesting. I would maybe think about dropping 2 of the Black Knights, you cant get a rank bonus from them and because they are etheral as long as you keep them away from some magic missiles they should be ok.

I would think about maybe using some of those points for 2 units of 5 dire wolves, to screen for your Blood Knights, you dont want someone to lead them around the board because of their Frenzy. I play WE as well as just starting VC, and honestly I would be using my eagles and Glade riders to drag those Blood Knights off the table.

You might be a little light on Magic Dice, with 6 power dice to burn, your probably only gonna get off three spells, then you have to think about your opponents dispell dice and scrolls. As for your magic defence your pretty light there. 4 DD and no scrolls. Against HE, or Lizards(with Slann) your gonna be eating a lot of magic.

I think the theme is awesome and will look great when its painted up and on the table.

Just my thoughts and I didnt mention Varghulf, Zombies or Corpse Carts once...aw crap.

superduperkoopatrooper
16-03-2008, 20:56
I think you're somewhat lacking in support units. You say the black knights can go war machine hunting, so are you proposing they just sidle straight up to organ guns and helblasters before charging them?

The lack of screening for your knights will mean they'll have to peg it towards the enemy fast but there's not enough of them to withstand a half decent amount of shooting and if your opponent has a smattering of throwaway units to divert them with they'll not achieve a great deal. Also, say an opponent deployed 2 (or dare I say more) bolt throwers across his deployment zone, how are you going to prevent your knights from presenting their flanks to at least one?

Meanwhile your skeles will be slowly traipsing across the board but I think your estimation of having 60+ is unrealistic. Just because you may be able to ATTEMPT casting IoN about 6 times (not 100% whether your powers allow for more) don't forget that some casting rolls will fail and your opponent can dispel the rest.

Sorry to be so negative, if your opponent just tries to go one on one with your knights then you'll probably be fine. Just watch out for the above.

Your army is so small I actually had to double check you've got 2000pts and it turns out you're actually 18 over :)

superduperkoopatrooper
16-03-2008, 20:57
The poster above isn't correct about BKs being ethereal btw, they only move that way.

Preacher
16-03-2008, 22:42
Oops, Superduper is right, BK only have Etheral Movement. My bad, brand new to VC myself. Thanks for kindly pointing out my mistake.
...I knew that too, I really did, don't know what I was thinking.

theunwantedbeing
16-03-2008, 22:47
Looks good, just be wary of the fact that your general cant join units...so your in trouble if your opponent decides to start taking pot shots at him with artillery.