PDA

View Full Version : impact hits vs first strike

The Phat Dorf
17-03-2008, 08:24
does impact hits, like chariots and bull charge, hit before first strike? and if a unit with first strike is charged by another unit with first strike do they then hit in initiative order or the chargers first?

just to be sure, if a char with first strike is charged he strikes before the chargers right?

Benigno (WE)
17-03-2008, 08:39
Impacts from chariots resolve first.

If to units (or characters) have first strike, then you use the In, doesn't matter who charged.

Festus
17-03-2008, 08:47
does impact hits, like chariots and bull charge, hit before first strike? and if a unit with first strike is charged by another unit with first strike do they then hit in initiative order or the chargers first?
As above: First Impact hits, then ASF in I-sequence, then chargers.

just to be sure, if a char with first strike is charged he strikes before the chargers right?
Yes, only Impact hits and other ASF with higher Ini go before an ASF model.

Festus

The Phat Dorf
17-03-2008, 08:53
thanks for the quick reply
im thinking of giving my dwarf general first strike, so wanted to be sure how it worked. against HE it might pay to give him the intiative rune aswell, dont have the rulebook with me atm, so dont know if its necesary or simply too expencive, but it could be fun to se a HE player charge his swordmasters (or similar) into your generals unit, and then have him strike first, nasty suprise for the HE (hehe.. puny elfs, too slow to beat a dwarf:evilgrin:)

Urgat
17-03-2008, 09:19
Well, I don't know the intiative of a dwarf lord, granted, but I'm pretty sure it's lower than that of any elf, and he would still strike last. If you can up his initiative, on the other hand...

Festus
17-03-2008, 09:42
Dwarf Lord max I6 and ASF - that is for 35 points...

The Phat Dorf
18-03-2008, 04:07
thanks, might try that some time, i think most HE normal troops have in. 5?

by the way, its a bit unfair that HE suffer no penalty for using GW, they just get the +2 strength and still strike first :cries:. its not very realistic that an elf wields a heavy, clumsy weapon faster than a stronger guy with a 1h weapon:eyebrows:.

StormCrow
18-03-2008, 04:18
Against elves you're probably better off protecting yourself rather than trying to strike first. You can do alot better things with a runic axe than hitting on 3's and wounding on 3's before their dodgy spears can poke you (and a prince or noble will still strike before you anyway). On GW's; if 2 characters have the ASF rule then they resort to Init. order, in which case it is speculated that a character with a GW will revert to striking last automatically.

The Phat Dorf
18-03-2008, 07:57
yeah your probably right, i can just imagine that a HE player would put up a funny face if he was suddenly not striking first, but its most likely not realy effective

Guyver OmegaX
18-03-2008, 08:13
Yes, only Impact hits and other ASF with higher Ini go before an ASF model.

Minor point; there are exceptions to this.

The only one I know of is a Lizardmen magic item (single use, grants 1st strike for a single turn), which specifically states that initiative order is not used where the opposing unit has ASF. I think the Lizards still get to strike first on a 4+, but I may be wrong there - some dice roll is used.

This may well be a one-off thing due to the awful Initiative values of all Lizardmen models...

I don't know of any other exceptions to what Festus said, but it's probably worth knowing they exist :)

Half-breed
18-03-2008, 09:38
thanks, might try that some time, i think most HE normal troops have in. 5?
Yes most of them have I5, but anything that would be fighting a Dwarf Lord will have at least I6. Besides with that many Runes on your weapon you will be striking at S4, which is not good, even against elves and especially against the guys who would be hitting back.