PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my 1500 point Skaven

Firebreather
17-03-2008, 12:25
Hey there everyone. I'm starting to plan for just how I'm going to take my Skaven up to the 2000 point level. I currently have a 1500 point army in various stages of completeness, and just want to look ahead a little bit and figure out the best way of moving it. Oh, and keep an eye out in the Fantasy painting logs section, for my very own plog on completeing the 1500 point list.

Without getting too far into it, here's my 1500 point list as it stands.

Plague Priest-
Plague Censer
Liber Bubonicus
Warpstone Token

Warlock Engineer-
Warp Blades
Upgraded Warp Energy Consdender
Supercharged Warp Power Accumulator
Storm Daemon

Assassin-
Smoke Bombs
Warpstone Stars

29 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

1 Giant Rat Pack

20 Clanrat Slaves

10 Night Runners-
Additional Hand Weapons
Throwing Stars

10 Night Runners-
Additional Hand Weapons
Slings

5 Poisoned Wind Globadiers

20 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Burning Hatred
Deacon

2 Rat Ogre Packs

6 Plague Censer Bearers

TOTAL-1498pts.

So, with that list in mind, how would you go about taking it to 2000 points. Of course, it depends very heavily on whether one goes for the Warlord, or the Grey Seer. Honestly, at this point, I'm leaning towards going for the Grey Seer. I plan on having to face a good few magically-oriented armies(ie. Vampire Counts and the like...), so a powerful caster definately won't hurt. Plus, the whole background and style of the Grey Seers really appeals to me.

So, what direction would you go with this force?

Firebreather
17-03-2008, 12:29
I will say, that my current line of thinking is that I'll next buy a Grey Seer(sans Bell), another Battallion, maybe a few more Plague Censer Bearers, a Warp Lightning Cannon, a Chieftan, and maybe a few blisters of Gutter Runners. With that, I'll see what I can play around with and come up with for 2000 points.

Thoughts?

redrum
17-03-2008, 14:24
What you have planned for your expansion sounds pretty good. What about some weapons teams though? I know they have they're drawbacks but against non shooty armies like VC a couple of Ratling Guns or WFT could do some pretty respectable damage I would think.

Firebreather
17-03-2008, 14:35
Hey, good point, redrum, thanks for that! You're right, I'll add a Ratling Gun and a Warpfire Thrower to the list of things to buy. For sure, against something like the Vampire Counts, it could definately help, especially considering their shooting phase is essentially non-existant:)

So, the shopping list is thus:
Grey Seer
Skaven Battallion
2-3 blisters of Plague Censer Bearers
Warp Lightning Cannon
Chieftan(probably the direct only one with two hand weapons, he looks sweet)
probably 3 blisters of Gutter Runners
Ratling Gun
Warpfire Thrower

That should round out my Skaven collection nicely actually, and give me a few different options if I feel like switching things up a bit as well.

Tiamat
17-03-2008, 14:42
it depends very heavily on whether one goes for the Warlord, or the Grey Seer.

I'd be very careful about greyseers if I were you,
Firstly a Warlord has that vital extra point of Ld, and moral is a touchy thing at best for a Skaven army.
Second, for the points cost of a tooled up Grey Seer, you can actually afford a tooled up Warlord and a unit of 25 Clanrats for him to lead.
Third, between miscasts and malfunctions, magic is at best a fickle ally, doubly so for Skaven, their destrucitve power is matched only by their capacity to obliterate the Grey Seer.

I'm a horde player, so I always go quantity before quality, that's why my Grey Seer is the second lord choice, not the first. My thought would be a greater investment from Clan Moulder. 2 Rat Ogres lack survivability and a single pack of Giant Rats is kinda pointless. An extra moulder boxed set will give you 2 more Rat Ogres, and if you can convert up an extra pack master from spare parts and then use the rats from the Plague monk sprues, you can actually make up two more rat packs to go with the one you have already.

Hope that gives you a little food for thought.

redrum
17-03-2008, 14:53
Hey, good point, redrum, thanks for that! You're right, I'll add a Ratling Gun and a Warpfire Thrower to the list of things to buy. For sure, against something like the Vampire Counts, it could definately help, especially considering their shooting phase is essentially non-existant:)

So, the shopping list is thus:
Grey Seer
Skaven Battallion
2-3 blisters of Plague Censer Bearers
Warp Lightning Cannon
Chieftan(probably the direct only one with two hand weapons, he looks sweet)
probably 3 blisters of Gutter Runners
Ratling Gun
Warpfire Thrower

That should round out my Skaven collection nicely actually, and give me a few different options if I feel like switching things up a bit as well.

Happy to help :) Yeah that looks like a pretty good setup. I've always loved Skaven. I've very seriously considered starting a Skaven force and have bought a few things off ebay to get started. Frankly I've just balked at painting them all, I'm kind of a slow painter as it is and I think it would take me forever to paint that many rats. I'll probably break down and do it anyway one of these days.

Firebreather
17-03-2008, 15:00
I was in the same boat a while ago, however I came across a nice speedpainting article on the UnderEmpire website. The results actually look really good, and I decided afterwards that having a fully painted Skaven army COULD be done, and a lot quicker and easier than I had thought.

Basically it's like dipping, but seems a little less like cheating than that;) You paint up your Skaven(no need for an overly clean job), and then hit it with a Burnt Umber wash...all over, skin, fur, clothing, weapons, the whole lot. It gives it a nice dirty look, without being shiny(like dipping), and also gives some really nice, smooth shading. Looks great, and it's quick.

Firebreather
17-03-2008, 15:05
Oop, I missed your post, Tiamat. Thanks for that, I agree completely. Magic is fickle, and when it comes to Skaven, probably all the more so. However, I see it as part of the fun, really:)

However, I'm definately going to pick up a Warlord as well eventually, and go that route.

redrum
18-03-2008, 03:15
I was in the same boat a while ago, however I came across a nice speedpainting article on the UnderEmpire website. The results actually look really good, and I decided afterwards that having a fully painted Skaven army COULD be done, and a lot quicker and easier than I had thought.

Basically it's like dipping, but seems a little less like cheating than that;) You paint up your Skaven(no need for an overly clean job), and then hit it with a Burnt Umber wash...all over, skin, fur, clothing, weapons, the whole lot. It gives it a nice dirty look, without being shiny(like dipping), and also gives some really nice, smooth shading. Looks great, and it's quick.

I found the article you're talking about. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have to try that.

Firebreather
18-03-2008, 21:20
Good to hear, redrum. Even from the simple painting guide on the GW website for Clanrats(and Plague Monks as well,actually), the Burnt Umber speedpainting method is still far faster. Not only that, but it can be argued that it gives much better results for less. So I'm stuck here in Canada trying to find some Burnt Umber;) I might end up having to call Windsor and Newton actually, because the UPS shipping their website uses isn't available in my region...Bah.

None the less, I WILL get my hands on some of it:) Thanks again for the help, redrum. As soon as the rest of my models, paint, and tube of Burnt Umber arrive at my doorstep, I'll start a project log and post some pictures of my results. I plan on getting this army ready for the tabletop in a very short period of time(relatively), as I hate playing with unpainted and half-assembled minis.

EDIT: Well, good news. The Burnt Umber is on the way, as is everything else. Project Log will be forthcoming soon.

Badbones777
19-03-2008, 02:52
it depends very heavily on whether one goes for the Warlord, or the Grey Seer.

I'd be very careful about greyseers if I were you,
Firstly a Warlord has that vital extra point of Ld, and moral is a touchy thing at best for a Skaven army.

I'm a horde player, so I always go quantity before quality, that's why my Grey Seer is the second lord choice, not the first. My thought would be a greater investment from Clan Moulder. 2 Rat Ogres lack survivability and a single pack of Giant Rats is kinda pointless. An extra moulder boxed set will give you 2 more Rat Ogres, and if you can convert up an extra pack master from spare parts and then use the rats from the Plague monk sprues, you can actually make up two more rat packs to go with the one you have already.

Hope that gives you a little food for thought.

Sage counsel indeed, always put your faith in your clanrats!-its almost always gonna be them who end up winning you the game! That said, I tend to go for a grey seer, but thats purely because otherwise you are really more or less stuck with lvl 1 Wizards, and even at that with only access to one (admittedly awesome) spell.

Oop, I missed your post, Tiamat. Thanks for that, I agree completely. Magic is fickle, and when it comes to Skaven, probably all the more so. However, I see it as part of the fun, really:)

Nice to see someone else who plays the fluff and character of their armies! ;)
As for my advice (for what thats worth!) The list seems pretty solid. In fact I would urge you to not so much add to it, as such, but rather build up what you have-the clanrats couldnt hurt by being made 40 strong (or at least 35) and I would definitley get more slaves in-arguably the most useful unit you will ever use-seriously. Plus, 100 points buys you fifty. Say that back to yourself, and see how good it feels! Also i wold be inclined to take a chieftain as a battle standard bearer even if it meant dropping one of the heroes (in that case I/d drop the assassin, but then Ive never used one yet and you obviously have and know better what you like) Other than that, I myself would add a third clanrat regiment, and possibly put the BSB in it, witht he banner that causes fear. Its worthabout twice as many points as it costs once one factors in that Skaven units are big! Also gives you a good anchor thats not going anywhere, even aginst undead. But of course all of this is personal preference. Good luck with the expansion of your army!