PDA

View Full Version : High Elves in red?

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
17-03-2008, 13:31
Good Evening.

I was think about painting my (soon to be bought) high elves on red.
White robes with red trim you say? NO, says i

Red robes with a deeper red as trim (or purple) and a bright silver on armour as per the norm.

But i was wondering, is there any fluffy reasoning in doing this? are there any elves that wear these uniforms? or am i stupid/have i been playing too much WoW?
:D

Ward.
17-03-2008, 13:34
Don't do it, I know it seems like a great idea now but you'll quickly learn once its completed that it really isn't, trust me.

Vishok
17-03-2008, 13:40
I don't see a reason not to do this. In fact, that color scheme sounds cool.

I've seen the white robes / red trim before, and it looked great. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this.

I wonder what they would think of orange and yellow High Elves?

Ward.
17-03-2008, 13:51
I don't see a reason not to do this. In fact, that color scheme sounds cool.

I've seen the white robes / red trim before, and it looked great. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this.

I wonder what they would think of orange and yellow High Elves?

He wasn't asking for white robes red trim (although that can sometimes amount to the same affect).

I've seen the red robe, purple trim + plus silver armor before, and to be honest it looked like an army of used tampons in the pictures he took and lower light settings (It's those damned helmets). Even his parents laughed at the guy when someone pointed it out.

Gazak Blacktoof
17-03-2008, 13:59
I'd always keep some white in there somewhere. Red with purple trim is going to be really dark and you probably wont have enough contrast. Red with white seems like a better idea.

Do a test model though.

mrtn
17-03-2008, 14:08
I don't think that red with purple would look too good.

But sure, go ahead and use red robes, will probably look great. :)

@Vishok: As to orange elves, have you seen the "Tale of lazy gamers" in the painting forum? There's a lot of orange elves...

Mireadur
17-03-2008, 14:16
try golden for the armor though

advinius
17-03-2008, 14:16
Red robes should look just fine, but I agree that purple's not a good contrast color for trim. White woudl be good, used sparingly, or perhaps even a bright yellow.

Feefait
17-03-2008, 14:31
I think the red might be a nice change. Not sure about purple trim though. That's a hard one. My only caveat on red is that it can be hard to paint and highlight correctly without it looking orange or pink. But then again I'm far from the best painter...

Orcboy_Phil
17-03-2008, 15:07
My High elves are painted the standard chainmail with blue ink wash, however I painted the robes red and the armour trimming dwarf bronze, I think it looks neet and was rather easy to paint as well.

Neknoh
17-03-2008, 15:17
A deep red with Brazen Brass for the trim and a few golden highlights on the brass will look a LOT better than what you're currently considering I'd say

SaleanDominus
17-03-2008, 15:25
My high elves are in red with a green trim (red gore and snot green) with silver armour. I think it looks good, and my opponents have agreed (so far).

mattjgilbert
17-03-2008, 15:29
Follow the link to my HEs in my sig ;)

Necromancer2
17-03-2008, 15:34
Follow the link to my HEs in my sig ;)

Great Painting Matt!!!

I think this proves you need to try to keep the under robes white while the outer uniforms could be red with purple.

Armilthuan
17-03-2008, 15:41
I have a red colour scheme, so I can give a few tips.

Don't paint a predominantly silver. Speartips and swords are fine, but if you paint your armour that way, you'll draw the attention away from the red, which is a dominant colour.

Now what colours sit good next to red? Warm tones are the best choice. Only problem is, the biggest part of warm colours is red itself! :D

I chose Dwarf Bronze. I could have chosen gold, but then the armour would be to bright and thus take presence (while you want the red to dominate).

The colour I chose for the rim was a colour that would stand out from the red, but was still harmonious: Bleached bone. It suited quite perfectly. Also notethat this colour, if done correctly would also look amazing instead of the bronze armour. You won't have to worry about giving the rim another colour, just make sure the face and hands stand out as a 'spot colour'.

Because I already had the Bleached bone, it would go overboard to get myself another bright colour. That's why the faces and hands on my models are quite dark with a Bronzed flesh basecout, Dark flesh wash and small Elf flesh highlight.

To finish the model, I based it with sand and choose a dark, earthy tone (Scorched brown, Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather) to paint it. Then I flocked a few places with static grass.

The static grass is important. It 'cools down' the model. As otherwise all that red would creat an ADHD finish... :D

Instead of green grass, you could also use blue on the gems to 'cool it down'( yes, I don't have another phrase for it).

Hope to have been of your aid...

mattieice
17-03-2008, 15:47
I don't know about red, but I always thought regal blue would look good as high elven robes. Although people might claim they're dark elves but meh. Maybe your force is from nagarythe or something.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
17-03-2008, 17:10
Alright,
So general concensuous is, no purple, agreed actually now that i thought it through :D
But red + gold sounds wunderbar, just that.. i lack gold painting skills, but attempts shall be made when bought!
(i kinda dislike white btw, to common for me)
But, if i was DESPERATE for silver+ red, what else as trim? (this is if a suck at gold)

And thx a lot for the tips and words :)

Urgat
17-03-2008, 18:27
Red and yellow would look cool. People would scream "blood elves!", and yeah, maybe, so what? Blood elves look cool.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
17-03-2008, 20:26
I actually had blood elves in mind when i started this thread/idea so.. no foul ;)

But no ostritch riders, period

mattjgilbert
18-03-2008, 09:30
Great Painting Matt!!!Thanks :) Actually, My painting pile is so huge (20+ years worth of models in the heap!) that my mate Paul (see his gallery pages too) painted most of the Rank & File leaving me to focus on the Characters.

I think this proves you need to try to keep the under robes white while the outer uniforms could be red with purple.

(i kinda dislike white btw, to common for me)

I didn't want blue and white High Elves as I felt this was too common and I'd just have a a copy-paste army with no character. I can see no reason why HEs should exculsively stick to blue, just because that's the way the Studio Army is always painted. However, I felt changing just one of those colours would make the difference I wanted while still keeping a link to the canonical theme.

I felt red would make a good change and would also make them look a bit more aggressive as an army. I didn't want a clean looking elf army that looked like 50% of the baggage train was made up of civilians dedicated to washing clothes before every battle. I wanted something which made my army look like they knew how to fight, had been fighting and were now ready for more. To this end, the R&F blocks are all washed with a black ink/varnish mix (akin to dipping I guess to some degree) - this gives the appearance I want but also makes the painting fast! I avoided this on the characters though as I wanted them to have that brighter heroic aura to them as they lined up in the units :)

One day I'll get round to penning a bit of fluff for them.

But, if i was DESPERATE for silver+ red, what else as trim? (this is if a suck at gold)I used green (dark green mind - too bright and it would look awful). Green is the opposite of red on the colour wheel and so is a contrasting colour and catches the eye. Unless you are painting for garishness or in-your-face-eye-candy you should use the contrasting colour sparingly.

Red, silver and yellow... hmmm you'd have to be carefull and choose the pallete just right I think. Don't go bright/bright for the red and yellow or they'll could look like Empire or Bloodbowl colours ;)

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
18-03-2008, 15:00
Hmm.. i was thinking a 'blood-ish' red, but a deep one could work aswell..
How about 'real blood' (the dark stuff) red and silver+semi-bright yellow? (bad moon?)

But i do like the green idea, snot green perhaps? I was actually thinking of painting my dragon green earlier today ^_^

Anyone know the foundation paint set well enough to give me pointers based on those colours? (i have it, not just.. with me right now.)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
18-03-2008, 20:41
I tried red and white high elves. I undid that mistake quickly...

truthsayer
18-03-2008, 20:59
Look at my sig and follow the link to "a tale of two lazy gamers"

my regular opponent has painted an entire (or nearly) army of high elves in an orange/red colour scheme.

Not too bad at all I say.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
18-03-2008, 22:26
I have seen your log truthsayer ;)
And it is indeed very nice ^_^