PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Adrian Smith?

mattieice
17-03-2008, 15:38
Adrian Smith (being my favorite GW artist) has seemed to disappear from the artwork scene. I haven't seen his art or name mentioned in any of the recent army books. These 7th edition army book covers are really a step backward from 6th (except the new high elf one, that one rocks!) and we need Adrian back!

sliganian
17-03-2008, 16:08
Given GW's financial situation, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they let go all of the pricey talented artists. Just look at the amount they recycle artwork now in Army Books / Codexes.

Don't get me started on the 40K Codex covers of late...

OrlyggJafnakol
17-03-2008, 16:15
An artist like Adrian Smith would probably be comissioned to paint things by GW rather than working full time for the company. If GW are cost cutting they are going to recycle, reuse or commision in-house artists to do the work.

blongbling
17-03-2008, 17:28
Adrian left GW quite a while ago now(several years) but still does some commission stuff for them

Osbad
17-03-2008, 17:31
A year or two back when GW first started losing turnover I heard rumours from various reliable "inside" sources saying that GW had let a lot of their art department go. Looking at what has happened since, I think that they let "some" go and some were retained, and others have been engaged on piece-work contracts.

Where Adrian Smith fitted into this I can't say, as stuff may be commissioned years in advance of its actual use.

Just putting 2 and 2 together and probably making 5!

AGC
17-03-2008, 17:48
I see that the last "news" on his website is from 2005.

His draughtmanship is brilliant, I hope he's still producing stuff.

scarletsquig
17-03-2008, 18:14
These 7th edition army book covers are really a step backward from 6th (except the new high elf one, that one rocks!) and we need Adrian back!

Agreed, the Empire one is particularly poor.. it's "smudgy" rather than being crisp, details are poor, all the soldiers have exactly the same expression, and, worst of all - the eyes are all goggle-eyes! That's right, big white circle with a black dot in the middle that doesn't even touch the edges of the eye. :eek:

I'm not going to crticise the artist though, since their level of ability is higher than mine, and for all I know, GW's bean counters could have decided to make him/her do the entire painting in 2 weeks to save money.

madrobot
17-03-2008, 18:33
Adrian Smith has been doing lots of artwork for Rackham's AT-43 recently.

theultimateqpa
17-03-2008, 19:00
Dont worry, even if he is not working fulltime he still does freelance stuff for them. He recently made the cover art for Daemons codex and armybook as well as the Dark Heresy adventure book. He wouldnt just leave them like that after all thoes years;)

sliganian
17-03-2008, 19:27
Agreed, the Empire one is particularly poor.. it's "smudgy" rather than being crisp, details are poor, all the soldiers have exactly the same expression, and, worst of all - the eyes are all goggle-eyes! That's right, big white circle with a black dot in the middle that doesn't even touch the edges of the eye. :eek:.

Here's my view from the 40K side of things for the 'newer' style Codecies:

Eldar: horrid, ugly cover. When I think 'Eldar' I don't conjure up images of reds and smudgy brown wash. Ice blues, blacks, purples, mystic and powerful is more like it (see last Codex cover).

Dark Angels: superb. No one tipped the sepia bottle over it.

Chaos: see Eldar. No Dark Majesty or anything. Just a smudgy looney shouting over the sound of his own bolt pistol.

Orks: not quite as bad as Eldar or Chaos, as the red/brown fetish GW is on seems to work for Orks. Foreground figures are a little crisper as well.

HiveTrygon
17-03-2008, 19:29
Dont worry, even if he is not working fulltime he still does freelance stuff for them. He recently made the cover art for Daemons codex and armybook as well as the Dark Heresy adventure book. He wouldnt just leave them like that after all thoes years;)

You just made my day. He is one of my favorites as well and I was so sad to see little of his work lately. :D

mattieice
17-03-2008, 20:29
Here's my view from the 40K side of things for the 'newer' style Codecies:

Eldar: horrid, ugly cover. When I think 'Eldar' I don't conjure up images of reds and smudgy brown wash. Ice blues, blacks, purples, mystic and powerful is more like it (see last Codex cover).

Dark Angels: superb. No one tipped the sepia bottle over it.

Chaos: see Eldar. No Dark Majesty or anything. Just a smudgy looney shouting over the sound of his own bolt pistol.

Orks: not quite as bad as Eldar or Chaos, as the red/brown fetish GW is on seems to work for Orks. Foreground figures are a little crisper as well.

Oh come on man! Dark Angels is definitely the worst of the ones you mentioned (and i play them!). The eldar one is probably the BEST eldar artwork i have ever seen. the autarch just exudes awesomeness. In any case they're all way better than the 7th edition WH covers.

Hellebore
18-03-2008, 13:28
And here we see a perfect example of art's subjectivity.

I really like the new eldar codex cover, don't like the Dark Angel one, and am meh on the chaos one.

The new Daemon codicies have awesome covers though. :cool:

Hellebore

Mojaco
18-03-2008, 17:56
I like any and all codex covers for some reason. They always grow on me.

I think the new vampire book is especially bold. A red guy in an otherwise fully blue painting? That's balls. And it works.

Jampire
18-03-2008, 18:24
Agreed about Hellebores' art subjectivity.
I think ALL the army books and codecis cover art is grand.
To each their own...
BTW, what has Adrian Smith done? I've admittedly never paid much attention to the artists names...

theultimateqpa
18-03-2008, 19:23
BTW, what has Adrian Smith done? I've admittedly never paid much attention to the artists names...

A lot:) :
http://www.adriansmith.co.uk/

Plaguebeast
19-03-2008, 06:39
I must say, I was certainly relieved to see that Adrian Smith had been called up to do the cover art for the Daemon books. I'd have to agree that most AB/Codex covers since the release of Dwarves for WFB have been rather lacklustre. I really don't understand what's happened to Dave Ghallager's art in recent years - the current Empire cover is terrible, with every face looking exactly the same... I far cry from Dave's 4th Ed. Empire cover art (still by far and away the best of the Empire covers).

Plaguebeast

neXus6
19-03-2008, 06:51
Given GW's financial situation, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they let go all of the pricey talented artists.

I read that and had to laugh cause it goes with my views on John Blanche so well, he ain't being let go. :p

Jedi152
19-03-2008, 09:34
Dave Gallagher has done a few of the army book/codex covers - his work is normally impressive, but the Empire cover is particularly bland, and looks suspiciously like a draft or a sketch that's been coloured.

As long as they keep using Karl Kopinski's work, i'm happy.

Bregalad
19-03-2008, 11:40
He has done probably half the pics of AT-43, so he is busy.

blongbling
19-03-2008, 11:48
well Karl doesnt work for GW anymore either

Jedi152
19-03-2008, 11:50
I don't expect many artists do - they'll probably all be freelance (apart from John Blanche and maybe Dave Gallagher) like their authors are.

blongbling
19-03-2008, 13:19
nope, there are still a team of artists there.......

Jedi152
19-03-2008, 13:22
Really? I assumed they used freelancers. Who is on the team now? Anyone got any idea?

Raellos
19-03-2008, 13:46
Dave Gallagher has done a few of the army book/codex covers - his work is normally impressive, but the Empire cover is particularly bland, and looks suspiciously like a draft or a sketch that's been coloured.

I really like the Empire cover. I think it looks like a painting hanging in a Noble's collection. It's got less of a "Art for Warhammer" feel and more a "Art in Warhammer" feel, if that makes sense. As for the googly eyes, I think it makes the Captain look a bit mad, and the soldiers fearful.

theultimateqpa
19-03-2008, 14:53
Really? I assumed they used freelancers. Who is on the team now? Anyone got any idea?

I guess David Gallagher, Alexander Boyd and Paul Dainton(my favourite GW artist) are pretty safe bets as all three of them made a lot of new work in the recent codexes and armybooks. And John Blanche naturally

And even if Adrian Smith and Karl Kopinski no longer work for GW i dont think they would abandon them completly. I mean look at all the stuff that they did with them over the years. All the army book and codex illustrations for all the armies through several editions, all the concept work, all the miniatures box art, all the black library novels and comics covers, all the warcry and dark heresy ccg illustrations as well as many, many other stuff. I mean this company in part created these guys as artists(just as they were a part of creating what Warhammer is). Each one of them propably spend lion share of their career there.

Och and by the way, some new Adrian Smith work fo BL: http://blacklibrary.co.uk/news.asp?id=496

blongbling
19-03-2008, 14:56
dave, alex boyd, paul, nuala and neil all for sure......

theultimateqpa
26-03-2008, 20:52
Well apparently he is quite busy with work (http://blacklibrary.co.uk/news.asp?id=497)...

Captain Cortez
27-03-2008, 07:05
My favorite work of Adrian Smith was the cover of 6th Ed WHFB Orcs.

GW needs a to keep a great artist like Adrian, he has done so much great art work over the years.

nedsta
27-03-2008, 11:52
i think the new space wolf picture on black library is adrian smith,might be might not be :D

tsutek
28-03-2008, 14:05
I guess there's a bunch of artists that have been dropped from GW, but IMO it does not matter at all.. John Blanche has managed to save them anyway!

With the man handling the AD of GW, all I've seen is improvement in the overall look & feel of GW stuff... I remember the older stuff used to have some really eye-catching artwork, perhaps even more so than today, but overall the layouts and package designs were a lot cheesier than what they have now..

Magwa
29-03-2008, 21:39