PDA

View Full Version : Legendary formation

destroyerhive
17-03-2008, 19:40
For any1 who has already got aprils white dwarf (like myself) they will know about legendary formations. Me and a mate are gonna play a basic 5k legendary battle game. I'll be using dwarfs allied with just over 2k of empire. I was thinking that my legendary formation would consist of 5 Wizard Lords:angel:. Wot would you say to that.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-03-2008, 19:43
Hello, heres my Rocket Battery I'd expect.

All 23 of them.

moose
17-03-2008, 20:03
Say hello to Ikit Claw, 3 warlock masters, and 9 warlock engineers (for 5000pts)

It'd be great to produce events such as:

Warp Auras - An aura of crackling warp planes - all models receive a 3+ ward under the large blast marker. Roll a d6 for all models affected at the end of each turn, on 1-2 they take a wound with no armour or ward save allowed.

Warpdoom Bolts - a concentrated blast of raw power - S10, D6 wounds

Warpstorms - large blast template, S5, d3 wounds, scatter dice for random directions! On a D6 roll of 1-2 the storm subsides.

I can just imagine a warpstorm cloud landing on Ikit Claw, 'Oh queek!'.

N810
17-03-2008, 20:05
lizardmen army, 1 unit of 30 salamanders: only 620pts total...not bad. 30 salamanders!!!!!

Muhahahaha :evilgrin:
(off to buy 30 Dolar Gereral lizards and glue them to bases)

destroyerhive
17-03-2008, 20:09
omg..... mad doc do u actually have 23 helstorms. I just made that out of the models i actualy have. Do any of u guys that have posted actually have them either. (apart from moose as that many characters aren't that hard 2 get)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-03-2008, 20:16
No I don't! I only have the one.

I was just saying it as a comedy moment.

Though lots of units of Flagellants...hmmm...tasty!

But sod that! I'll settle for 5 units of Savage Orc Boarboyz. Wheres those girly Khorne Knights? DaBoyz want a wurd...hur hur hur!

W0lf
17-03-2008, 20:44
oh yay..

*sigh*

destroyerhive
17-03-2008, 21:28
can u imagine 10 dragon mages or chaos lords on dragons........ mmmmmmmmmm

Grimtuff
17-03-2008, 21:56
oh yay..

*sigh*

Oh sorry for too much of the "kiddy kay" infiltrating your oh so superior WHFB :rolleyes:

These rules are a great addition for huge multiplayer games. Get over it.

anerion
17-03-2008, 22:11
well,even if above isn't looking forward to using the new rules i sure am, finaly put good use to my 8 repeater bolt throwers xD

Urgat
17-03-2008, 22:11
you know, point-wise, something rather impressive would be 100 snot pump wagons, for a measly 400 points...

sulla
17-03-2008, 22:50
you know, point-wise, something rather impressive would be 100 snot pump wagons, for a measly 400 points...

...pretty sure they're not 4 pts each.:evilgrin:

What is this formations rule all about? (Trying to figure out if this warhammer is worth buying.)

anerion
18-03-2008, 16:12
its basicaly saying that, in a game of 5000pts per side, each side can have a single 'legendary foramation' that is as many of one special or rare as you have so say 10 repeater bolt throwers, and they only take up 1 rare choice. (obviously you would pay 1000pts for them but 60 str 4 shots with a -2 armour save is not something to be taken lightly) i'd recomend getting this months white dwarf, tells you all about it, plus theres a stonking 25k battle report! xD

[theres also something about multiple dragons etc]

Auzu
18-03-2008, 16:27
Just what warhammer needs more focus on warmachines, :rolleyes:

KingOfStarcraft
18-03-2008, 16:33
150 hobgoblin spearchukkas with CD LOL

Chiron
18-03-2008, 16:37
its basicaly saying that, in a game of 5000pts per side, each side can have a single 'legendary foramation' that is as many of one special or rare]

As a TK player this makes me chuckle with glee

50 scorpions! Burrow my pretties! Burrow!

Arcadian
18-03-2008, 17:05
Okay, I have a question..and I dont have the current WD.
You can form these into one Uber unit, I got that part.. But they all work as one unit right?
Say for example my Empire opponent has a Legendary unit, a battery of ten Cannon as one unit, and my Dark Riders somehow manage to get a charge on the unit..
Such would be fought using normal unit rules right? So if after combat my CR wins, his uber unit has to run same as any other unit?
IF thats the case, while I can see potential for abuse and such, this doesnt seem all that problematic so far...
I admit I am fonder of small battles, Skirmish, Warbands, ect. Bt I can see the fun to be had in a huge game of massive points at the same time..

Urgat
18-03-2008, 17:17
...pretty sure they're not 4 pts each.:evilgrin:

I meant 10 :p

Ender Shadowkin
18-03-2008, 17:23
I think battles of Legendary Battles should have a strict painted models only poilicy, as part of the point is to get all of you mini's off the shelf.

So if you have that many painted cannons waiting around go for it, that would look pretty cool (which is another cool thing about Legendary battles) but I would be pretty unhappy to see somebody stack up their plastic green army cannons. Its annoying that everyone sees this as an excuse to power game.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
18-03-2008, 18:23
if it's played in the right spirit this could be dead fun i'm looking foward to putting giants in one unit that's gunna be fun

Delmont
18-03-2008, 18:24
It is not an excuse to power game. Its an excuse to do silly things that the rules normally prohibit you from doing in a really big game. There are some limiting factors that make this the case. Each team, not player, may only take one of these formation per 5000 points. Both teams get to do it. You need to have the models to field the formations. I think the latter will stop a lot of the power gaming. I don't know all that many people who really have more than 5 cannons or two dragons.

Peril
18-03-2008, 19:48

*shudders*

That would be almost the most horrific thing I could think of, other than an equal number of Gorgers, Screaming Skull Catapults or Chaos Dwarf Earthshakers.

Ender Shadowkin
18-03-2008, 20:18
It is not an excuse to power game. Its an excuse to do silly things that the rules normally prohibit you from doing in a really big game.

I certainly wasn't saying it was, I really like the idea. but it seams all people want to focus on is how they can abuse it instead of hace some fun way to field a whole bunch of something.

Pelskwig
18-03-2008, 20:23
I wouldn't mind fielding 10 Units of 20 Black orcs. 350 (ish) points a unit, thats 3500 points.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH !!!!

WarbossKurgan
18-03-2008, 20:34
Forget all the "formations" nonsense! The best thing about the Legendary Battles rules is the victory points system!

5 objectives are placed on the table: 1 in your sides deployment zone, 1 in your opponents', the other 3 in "no-man's land".

You get nothing for killing troops, characters and generals, nothing for capturing standards, etc. Instead you get 1VP for occupying an objective at the end of your first turn. 2VP for occupying an objective at the end of your second turn. etc...

This means that fast troops can't just jump on them in the last turn to win the game with no effort and actually taking and holding objectives will win the game!

Great system - I suggest introducing it to smaller games! (ie 2000 points)

Pelskwig
18-03-2008, 20:38
*cheer*

Our game is SO on Kurgan. Im gunna steam through this army and we can smash sum umies.

enyoss
18-03-2008, 21:22
I think battles of Legendary Battles should have a strict painted models only poilicy, as part of the point is to get all of you mini's off the shelf.

Bah! As the (un)proud owner of one solitary painted model in my High Elf army, which is pretty big, I suck my thumb at you sir ;).

I do get the sentiment though, but hopefully this rule will really be of benefit to well-meaning chaps like myself: dozens and dozens of (now special) silverhelms with no party to go to.

Don't know why I liked that so much... but I did :).

Cheers,

enyoss

Johnnyfrej
18-03-2008, 21:40
Ahhhh, I can already hear the roar as 50 Great Cannons bless the enemy with wholesale slaughter!
Or perhaps 50 Mortars, bringing down the heavens with crashing destruction!

mwahahahahahaha :evilgrin:

-Private Jon

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-03-2008, 22:58
Don't be a wuss Johnnyfrej.

Helstorms for Teh Win! Think about it, in a game that size, their accuracy can only go up.

Firebreather
18-03-2008, 23:12
Haven't seen the WD yet, so this is all foreign to me at the moment. It does seem like it could be a good bit of fun though! And I like the VP system from what's been said here, very nice!

There's a lot my Skaven could do to play around with this "legendary formation" thing...

destroyerhive
18-03-2008, 23:23
If only dwarf rangers weren't 0-1 i'd have all the objectives by turn 2 :D :cries:

WarbossKurgan
18-03-2008, 23:25
*cheer*

Our game is SO on Kurgan. Im gunna steam through this army and we can smash sum umies.
Go Pel!

Orcs sir! Faaah-sands of 'em!! :D

Johnnyfrej
19-03-2008, 00:22
Don't be a @$%& Johnnyfrej.

Helstorms for Teh Win! Think about it, in a game that size, their accuracy can only go up.
Helstorms are good, but I still prefer my Cannons. If given the choice I would probably take both but for having a large number Cannons/Mortars can't be beat. Plus I've had a bad experience where a Helstorm misfired and blew up another Helstorm's crew 8'' away! Just imagine that, times 23 :eek:

In a 5k game, I can take a legendary formation of 10 Great Cannons plus a normal selection of 5 Helstorms and 5 Mortars. I think that is sufficent artillery to take on armies in and of itself :evilgrin:
Not to mention all that for about half my army's points, the rest go to spearman, handgunners, leaders and knights.

-Private Jon

txamil
19-03-2008, 00:23
Forget all the "formations" nonsense! The best thing about the Legendary Battles rules is the victory points system!

5 objectives are placed on the table: 1 in your sides deployment zone, 1 in your opponents', the other 3 in "no-man's land".

You get nothing for killing troops, characters and generals, nothing for capturing standards, etc. Instead you get 1VP for occupying an objective at the end of your first turn. 2VP for occupying an objective at the end of your second turn. etc...

This means that fast troops can't just jump on them in the last turn to win the game with no effort and actually taking and holding objectives will win the game!

Great system - I suggest introducing it to smaller games! (ie 2000 points)

That does sound fun actually. Unless you play WE or DE:)

I think mortars, catapults etc will be pretty powerful.

decker_cky
19-03-2008, 01:33
Just thought of a neat one for skaven....10 units of 3 tunnelers with poison. I think I even have the models for that.

SanguinaryDan
19-03-2008, 03:30

And when you roll a Misfire and all 50 of them decide you were only kidding about needing them this battle? Bad. Very, very bad. :p

Admiral Samuel Eden
19-03-2008, 04:20
OMG these rules are cool as.
Though people doing horrible things like field 8 Steam Tanks are going to be annoying. Still, I doubt anyone really owns that many.
Something I've been wondering is if there are only 8 Steam Tanks left, and in the rules yu can take as many as you like of them, then what happens when someone fields more than eight. That would be odd.
I can't wait, the legendary formations thing is neither here nor there but the VP system rocks.

Anvilbrow
19-03-2008, 05:40
Well, I could field...

12 High Elf Bolt throwers or...

14 Goblin Chariots or...

9 Empire Great Cannons or...

4 Dark Elf Hydras or...

4 Screaming Skull Catapults or...

6 Salamanders

Jeez, I am sooo excited for some Legendary Battles!!! I'll finally be able to look my wife in the eye and tell her "Why yes honey, I do use all of those toy soldiers."

Chiron
19-03-2008, 10:27
And when you roll a Misfire and all 50 of them decide you were only kidding about needing them this battle? Bad. Very, very bad. :p

Yeah but what are the odds? :p

Quite good actually judging by my recent games :(

heinrichvoncarstein
19-03-2008, 15:17
Sorry to disapoint you guys but the legendary formatiopns only count when using monsters (or monsterous mounts) and cannons and stuff. NOT lone heroes with no mounts

Mad Doc Grotsnik
19-03-2008, 20:11
Sorry to disapoint you guys but the legendary formatiopns only count when using monsters (or monsterous mounts) and cannons and stuff. NOT lone heroes with no mounts

Hmmmm....Beastmaster...Manticore....

Time to show those Girly Bretonnian Wussies what a REAL Flying Circus looks like.

pox
19-03-2008, 20:16
I have forty-five gutter runners, that should be a nice surprise for my opponents.

N810
19-03-2008, 20:20
.... hey wait does that mean I can have a herd of Oldbloods on Carnies or dozens of stegadons aslong as they are one unit?

Pelskwig
19-03-2008, 20:23
Oh dear lord, we're becoming 40k players.

"PEW PEW PEW, I CAN HAZ LOADZ OF LAZERS MAN. PEW PEW"

Come on, this is gunna be awesome. HUGE swathes of troops steaming across a board at each other and smashing it up, trying to hold victory-places ? Thats infintely cooler than

"Oh I can have 500 million Carnosuars...I only own 1...but I COULD have 500 million"

ps N810, can u make me about a million Sprueasaurus, that guy rocks, he'd make awesome armies for Legendary formations

N810
19-03-2008, 20:56
I mention those models because the Lizies only have a few 0-1 units
and about everything ealse is a monster or can ride a monster.
except Slan and puting more than one slan in a unit would just be silly :p

I was just immagining a wall of stegadons in front of my army
trampeling torwd some gunline army, with the rest of my army
safely shielded by large targets.... LOL

Im not a power gamer mind you I'm just a silly person...

(ps. i was thinking about making some Sprueamanders next)

Johnnyfrej
19-03-2008, 21:30
Oh dear lord, we're becoming 40k players.

"PEW PEW PEW, I CAN HAZ LOADZ OF LAZERS MAN. PEW PEW"
As an avid 40k player I resent that comment... there is nothing wrong with laserz!

Helstormz! PEW PEW PEW! :evilgrin:

-Private Jon

Urgat
20-03-2008, 16:24
If only dwarf rangers weren't 0-1 i'd have all the objectives by turn 2 :D :cries:

So? You could have ten units if you choose them as the legendary shiznit, they would still count as one choice, and would respect the 0-1 limitation :p

heinrichvoncarstein
20-03-2008, 17:04
as i've said before, the legendary formation only applies to monsters and cannons/big guns. So he can't field them like that, although i think that the 0-1 limit doesn't apply anymore(?)

destroyerhive
20-03-2008, 17:08
Yh but ppl would only care about it being monsters and war machines i wouldn't care wot it was:)

BDJV
20-03-2008, 17:36
Hrmm...

10 Gyrocopters for my dwarfs sounds pretty Kool! Maybe accompanied by some Wagner playing in the background. :skull:

portlandryan
10-05-2008, 07:47
8 or 10 giants for my all goblin army would finally defeat the occursed forest of of loren

Ward.
10-05-2008, 10:47
Oh sorry for too much of the "kiddy kay" infiltrating your oh so superior WHFB :rolleyes:

Well I suppose we can let it slide this time, but if it happens again... :D

There's a fair few possibilities but I want to know how they handle leadership for these formations (I could just get the white dwarf but that would be silly).

Druchii Love
10-05-2008, 15:05
We had a local mega-battle a few weeks ago and one of the players showed up with 8 giants. It was like watching this frightening football team charging forward. Eep!

Znail
10-05-2008, 15:36
I liked the 100 pumpwagons best, its only 4000 points so it should work! :D

DigbyWeapon
11-05-2008, 10:14
wow, imagine 5000pts in zombies?

Neknoh
11-05-2008, 10:32
¤coughs¤ ¤steps from his shady corner¤ ¤spotlight focuses on him¤

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you... Chaos.

There are several chaos players at my local club, and quite a few of us owns either Hellcannons, Giants or Shaggoths, not to mention the large ammounts of Spawns we can accumulate between ourselves. Surething Empire Players, you have 5 Hellstroms, nasty, however, for a mere 2 Rare choices, we can field a formation of 5 Hellcannons. And those Scorpions do feel very, very creepy... but for HALF a rare choice, we can field the same ammount of Chaos Spawns. ¤counts on fingers¤ ok, we don't actually HAVE all those spawns, but we'd probably make it to ten or twelve.
Otherwise, a swathe of Bloodthirsters (either version) would be very, very nasty, and depending on the armybook, they either take three slots or one.

Although, my favourite has to be the ammount of Dragon Ogres or Shaggoths that we'd be able to cram in into a battle, nothing but pure nastyness all in all.