PDA

View Full Version : Spray varnish discontinued?

derv
17-03-2008, 20:22
It seems to me that the GW spray cans of varnish have been discontinued (both satin and gloss). Does anyone have more information on this? Are they planning to release something in it's place or are they expecting people to use the pots instead?

Assuming these are gone forever, can anyone recommend another brand of decent gloss varnish in spray form? I use testors dullcote as a final coat and want something strong and durable underneath.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-03-2008, 20:23
I just use the potted stuff.

Never did like the spray. Far too matt, and had a habit of making stuff look dusty.

Roguebaron
17-03-2008, 20:44
I've been using the krylon matt finish for years, and have never used the gw sprays. They make a gloss as well, though i tend to matt the whole thing, then gloss the bits that need it. I've never had a problem with it. You can get it at most art store ( i get it from michael here so i can use the 40% of coupons they publish) it's cost is comparable to the Gw.

Huw_Dawson
17-03-2008, 22:38
Hang on, is it "discontinued" because of it disappearing from the online shop?

Otherwise, it will be for the same reason as Testor's stock.

- Huw

Crube
17-03-2008, 22:52
Hang on, is it "discontinued" because of it disappearing from the online shop?

Otherwise, it will be for the same reason as Testor's stock.

- Huw

Which would be...?

Bregalad
17-03-2008, 23:06
It is discontinued as mentoned in the "discontinued paints" threads (latest thread on this here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127340 ).

Osbad
18-03-2008, 09:41
I have gradually learned the hard way never to trust spray varnish made by anybody - not even Testors Dullcote. Nowadays I only use Vallejo stuff out the pot. Hard to find, but its worth it not to get that sick feeling of worry in your stomach just before you hit the button!

There may be other brands of potted matt varnish that deliver a truly matt finish, but Vallejo is the easiest for me to find (and that's not particularly easy).

I dislike gloss varnish as a finish (although its good for making models robust as a penultimate coat) as it makes the models look like toys. Satin is neither matt nor gloss, so what's the point? It makes the models look cack, and isn't particular robust, so is a waste of time and money as far as I am concerned.

As for why it has been withdrawn, I suspect it is to do with new EU regs about aerosol contents. Testors Dullcote has been withdrawn as well, so maybe this, combined with the "furring" quality issues that have dogged the matt/satin varnishes at GW have maybe combined to make them decide it isn't worth it.

Painting stuff on from a pot doesn't take significantly more time, is cheaper and is much more controlled as to where it goes, so for me the spray varnish is no real loss to the world.

t-tauri
18-03-2008, 10:20
Testors Dullcote is being banned from sale in the EU because it contains the quite unpleasant toluene - see Atenociti's workshop (http://blog.barrule.com/blog/_archives/2008/3/7/3566434.html).

RevEv
21-03-2008, 01:22
There were cans of purity seal in my local store yesterday - with a clear plastic lid.

This could also be linked to a rumour the manager shared with me that GW are releasing a new undercoating system based on a very basic airbrush that apparently looks like a flamer.

Rumour preventative salt was taken in bucket loads after this was said.

Brockie
21-03-2008, 02:14
Seems a bit of a strange move given Apoc has just emerged and its emphasis on big baneblade type things.

J~

Wintermute
21-03-2008, 07:10
There were cans of purity seal in my local store yesterday - with a clear plastic lid.

This could also be linked to a rumour the manager shared with me that GW are releasing a new undercoating system based on a very basic airbrush that apparently looks like a flamer.

Rumour preventative salt was taken in bucket loads after this was said.

Its Ardcoat Spray which has been deleted, not Purity Seal and the new hand flamer-styled spray gun for Foundation Paints is more than rumour.

richred_uk
21-03-2008, 12:06
is ardcoat spray gone for good or is it a reformat a la Dullcote? I've just stockpiled Cullcote and might have to do so with Ardcoat now!!

Huw_Dawson
21-03-2008, 14:48
Its Ardcoat Spray which has been deleted, not Purity Seal and the new hand flamer-styled spray gun for Foundation Paints is more than rumour.

I can't help but crack a smile when I imagine holding a hand flamer and spraying my models Mechrite Red...

- Huw

RevEv
21-03-2008, 16:26

Cool... anyone got a remedy for overdosing on cynicism?:angel:

Sleazy
22-03-2008, 01:16
I asked instore today and the manager said he knows of no plans to discontinue purity seal, so thats cool.

Mind he was also completely unaware of Dullcotes EU probs.

Lardidar
22-03-2008, 01:32
Mind he was also completely unaware of Dullcotes EU probs.

As was I :(

Any other product that gives a 'good' matt finish?

The Inquisitor
25-03-2008, 16:09
anyone have a picture?

Osbad
25-03-2008, 16:27

Now that's interesting to hear! I miss their different coloured spray cans (Ogre Flesh in particular) so an spray gun for Foundation Paints that would allow you to base/under-coat in various colours at 2 a pop for the paint (instead of 6 a pop for the cans) would be of great interest to me. Particularly for terrain making. I just hope GW's solution is something that comes in at less than what a commercial air brush comes in at the minute (around 200 IIRC for a decent one, but don't quote me on that..!)

Definitely one to keep an eye on! Thanks for the confirmation!

Wintermute
25-03-2008, 19:31
Definitely one to keep an eye on! Thanks for the confirmation!

For more information about the changes to the paint range and the new spray gun, take a look at this (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127340) thread ;)

Wintermute