PDA

View Full Version : the best cannon/artilery shots you've ever made

anerion
17-03-2008, 22:21
i was playing a game down at my local GW some years back, house rules, about a chaos army half marauders/warriors and the like the other half demons, the demons were spawning from a point on their left of the table, out of some obscure fountain terrain piece.. i had an empire cannon, bottom left hand of our side of the board, told i'd never make the shot to the 'fountain' guessed the maxium and told i'd need a further 10" on the artilery dice to make it, got the 10 then told i'd need to roll a 4+ to destroy it, roll the 4 on the D6, and BAM all the demons on the board taken of, as per the house rules. never managed anything like it since.

Crube
17-03-2008, 23:02
Many moons ago, My empire cannon, first shot of the game, landed a cannonball on a Dwardf General Special character, who failed his ward save, and died. The nearby Warriors, fled, causing approximately 75% of his army to run. As it was the first turn, they mostly made it off the board...

Again, back an edition or 2, when the rules for helblasters were different (ie you chose upto 9 barrels to fire, roll an Artillery dice per barrel and that + number of hits, and on a Misfire on the first barrel, they all went.

Unit of 100 Nnight gobbos (yes really), ends up 8 inches from Helblaster. Crube decides on 5 Barrels, Misfire on the first, so all 9 go. 9 Artillery dice = 76 hits - 54 dead gobbos...

Still lost the game, though that was funny...

GodHead
17-03-2008, 23:16
Last turn of the game, it's a looking like a tie, my esteemed opponent moves his Swordmasters up to take a table quarter, lining up a perfect flank shot for the QUEEN BESS! The template lands on the near edge, and passes across the entire unit. When the smoke clears, 13 elves are dead, the unit is under half, and too small to claim the table quarter.

The half points for the unit and preventing the bonus for the table quarter actually scratched out a minor victory for my Zombie Pirates.

theunwantedbeing
17-03-2008, 23:26
My bolt thrower on its single shot managed to deal 3 wounds to a zombie dragon.
Merely causing a single wound to something that tough would have been a record...still would be a record infact.

Drogmir
17-03-2008, 23:53
Ah my cannon overshot a unit and went smashing into a goblin shaman taking off his head.

We couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes.

scarletsquig
17-03-2008, 23:58
Vampire General, turn 1...

crumble crumble :)

moose
17-03-2008, 23:58
It was 5th turn and the dark elves were battering my skaven to the max, it looked as though I had no chance of winning.

My WLC rolls 40" S10, hits Malekith, wounds, D6 wounds, goodbye sir!
Deathmaster Snikch whom charged previously, then proceeds to slaughter the dragon in one round.

I pulled off a draw, it made the game, it made my day! I dont think anyone in the store could stop laughing for ages!

Durloth
18-03-2008, 00:20
I was playing Cult of Slaneesh vs. High Elfs. Using the spell that makes a caracter attack his own unit or shoot at the nearest friendly unit, I made the HE lordwith the bolt-thrower-bow shoot the flank of a unit of five Dragon Princes, killing all of them.

Another favorite was when a friend made a short shot with his Rock Lobba, which scattered back onto his machine, killing the crew and destroying the Lobba. We had long laugh imagining the stupid gobbos shooting the rock sraight up, only to see the shadow of the projectile overhead as it plunged back towards them. U-oh!

borka
18-03-2008, 01:32
5:th ed, first turn, Slann lord with heart of woe. The whole lizardmen battleline just blew up.

/Borka

Arguleon-veq
18-03-2008, 15:49
I've sniped the Battle Standard out of a unit first turn, seeing the unit then flee off the table, it also contained a powerful hero.

I've smasged a Chaos Lord and a Chariot who was hiding behind the rest of his army. Shot over the warriors, landed dead on the Chariot then bounced into the lord.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
18-03-2008, 15:54
malekith and dragon falling too a 40 shot fullasade from four leadbelchers nice!!!

Curufew
18-03-2008, 16:11
First time using the Helstrom rocket battery. First turn, I shot it, went to the exact spot I wanted and I rolled a hit. 23 out of 25 tomb kings skellies warriors broken into tiny bits. It was the only shot that it fired though. For the rest of the game, fleeing knights and close combat blocked it's LOS.

Mozzamanx
18-03-2008, 16:11
In a 4000 a side game, a cannon shot evaporated Teclis. Boom!

The Underdog
18-03-2008, 16:17
I managed a nice flank shot on a unit of inner circle empire knights on the release of 7th ed. What made it extar sweet was the fact that he not ony failed his look out sir for the grand master in the unit, but to add insult to injury, also the one for the champion, loosing all 6 models including character and champion. Sweet!

Jack of Blades
18-03-2008, 17:26
It was 5th turn and the dark elves were battering my skaven to the max, it looked as though I had no chance of winning.

My WLC rolls 40" S10, hits Malekith, wounds, D6 wounds, goodbye sir!
Deathmaster Snikch whom charged previously, then proceeds to slaughter the dragon in one round.

I pulled off a draw, it made the game, it made my day! I dont think anyone in the store could stop laughing for ages!

Don't wanna burst your bubble, but Malekith can't take more than 1 wound from any source...

Red_Duke
18-03-2008, 17:35
Well, my favourite was sniping a lone Skink priest with an SSC - first shot, bang on distance wise (right under the centre), direct hit, kills him outright. For the look on the opponents face, priceless...:evilgrin:

In saying that, in a TK vs TK game, managed to snipe the heirophant in his unit (bang on again, and he fails the lookoutsir test) on turn 2, then took out the king's chariot with the next shot. Just wish they were always that effective :rolleyes:

Skitter-Squeek
18-03-2008, 18:32
Was playing in the Baltimore Gt. (Me)Skaven Vs Ogre Kingdoms Skragg the Slaughterer List, also would like to mention it was against Adam gershowitz the game designer of warhammer online or character animator etc. Anyhow he moves skragg up on this hill and my warplightning canon is on the far left corner of the board.. I roll some good distance and strength 6. Hit him (barely) Would him! and take all but one wound from him on the d6 wound roll.. We both go whoa! And next turn he moves skragg backword 2 inches behind this tiny hill and keeps him there whole game. I just thought was funny. Adam btw was a One cool dude in my book great standup guy:D

Skitter squeek

Briohmar
18-03-2008, 18:45
In 6th edition on turn 1 a Chaos Lord of Khorne on a dragon (this was still ravening hordes days, so it was a nasty lord) plops down 6" in front of my hellblaster to try to cause some terror on a whole bunch of units. Everybody passed their Terror tests and the hellblaster mis-fired, rolling a 6. I did 30 S5 hits divided between the character and dragon. When all the smoke cleared, there wasn't even a dragon scale to be found.

EvC
18-03-2008, 18:54
Dogs of War Cannon hitting and destroying the War Altar with its first shot. The complaining that followed only made it all the more sweet...

Admiral Samuel Eden
18-03-2008, 19:02
Not so long ago I was playing against Chaos. I don't like chaos because they really hurt my state troops but due to some helpful combos I killed all his characters with a battle wizard before they got to m mind. (Mwahahahaha van horstmans speculum + Steed of Shadows Mwahahahahaha.) Anyway, His knights are charging forward dangerously close to my lines when I fir my cannon. Firstly, the ball lands next to the unit and rolls 10 inches through them and a marauder unit. Both run, along with another warrior unit that decided to leg it from panic. My opponent didn't think it was so funny.

Suikoden108
18-03-2008, 21:17
My single best artillery shot occured in an Empire vs. TK game:

I believe on turn two my SSC landed a direct hit on my friend's Archlector and his Popemobile. 'lector passed his ward save, but the Popemobile didn't, so it was smashed to bits by what was probably the most terrifying thing that Archlector ever saw in his life.

Johnnyfrej
18-03-2008, 21:31
Taking out a whole unit of 300 points worth of kitted-out Black Orcs with a BSB included with a Helstorm. Best first shooting phase ever :D

-Private Jon

neXus6
18-03-2008, 22:20
My one particular gem, using a borrowed Skaven army I'd quickly knocked a list together with Vs a Tzeench Daemon army with Undivided General to get flaming sword. :rolleyes:

First shot with Warp Lightning Cannon, noone had moved, through a wood onto a unit of horrors + Herald on a hill, got the range bang on for the Herald. 1 failed look out sir = no more herald.

Later in the game, unit of clan rats + Warlord with nasty killy magic weapon and 4+ward gets into combat with the same unit of Horrors, now joined by the aforementioned Undivided Daemon Prince. Price challenges, Warlord accepts and does a couple of wounds, Prince does 3-4 wounds ALL saved by the 4+ ward. I win combat by a long way, full ranks, standard, outnumber...the works...Prince rolls an 11 and takes a look at the fallen battle standard before vanishing back into the ether. :D

snyggejygge
18-03-2008, 22:43
5:th edition cannonsniping, Empire vs Skaven, including Grey seer Thanquol (3000 pts).

2:nd turn, kill Thanquol by a perfect guess that gets hit, he fails look out sir, but manages to cheat death due to the old Winds of Magic card named "Escape".
Next turn perfect guess & roll hit once again (& this time he isnīt inside a unit as the Escape card forced him to be withing 12" of his own tableedge when resurrected), Thanquol is dead, my opponent hates me (even more so as I only had a single cannon)...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-03-2008, 22:54
Well, my favourite was sniping a lone Skink priest with an SSC - first shot, bang on distance wise (right under the centre), direct hit, kills him outright. For the look on the opponents face, priceless...:evilgrin:

In saying that, in a TK vs TK game, managed to snipe the heirophant in his unit (bang on again, and he fails the lookoutsir test) on turn 2, then took out the king's chariot with the next shot. Just wish they were always that effective :rolleyes:

Did something similar to a Skink Priest. But not just any Skink Priest. A Skink Priest with 6 re-rolls for his army. And that shot technically missed. It was originally aimed at a unit of Temple Guard (going for the panic you see!) and it deviated 10"...right on top of the Skink Priest. Perhaps he thought his comet had arrive to save him.....

But best intended shot....first time I used a Helstorm. Slap bang in the middle of 25 Dwarf Ranger Longbeards, all armed up the wazoo. When the smoke cleared, the 4 or so surviving members looked rather sorry for themselves. Good game that one...my Pistolier rear charged a unit of Ironbreakers, who broke and then got run down. Hurrah!

The Underdog
19-03-2008, 00:46
Another good one i had was when a friend decided to field a star dragon with lord kitted out with nullstone against my dwarfs. 1st turn he hides it behind some scenery with a line of sight to its intended target (my lord and hammerers) but leaving me no LoS from any missile troops. Unfortunately, he misdudged the distances and failed the charge by an inch or so, leaving the dragon in full view of my army. I then managed to perfectly land a grudge thrower shot on it and cause the full 6 wounds, finishing its seventh off with some thunderers. he never really got back into the game and i scored a total massacre.

One of the other highlights from that game was the entire gaming group humming 'ride of the valkyries' as my gyrocopter swooped about in his side of the table gunning down unit after unit of elves and chasing a few down from combat.

Steve-O
19-03-2008, 17:44
Always good luck against OK. In a tournament I once laced a shot down the flank of 3 Maneaters and a Butcher with a great cannon, wiped 450ish points off in one swoop.

Also, first shot of the game against another OK player, killed a Tyrant (who failed his look out sir roll) and a butcher in one shot.

blurred
19-03-2008, 18:47
Vampire General, turn 1...

crumble crumble

Same here. Won my first tournament by dropping a cackling goblin on a necromancer. "Uhh. What iz happenin' to da enemies boss?" ;)