PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newb questions

ripperdoc
18-03-2008, 02:32
Hello all,

I posted this in the Intro. section but didnt get any thoughts so here it is in the more fancy General Discussion area.

I'm new here but I've played 40K for years, well, I should say used to play. I got out just before 4th ed. but I want to get back into the game. Heres my question to you guys though.

I was debating picking up 3rd or 4th ed. but I hear that 5th ed. is coming out soon and seeing as I sold all of my stuff and will have to start over would you suggest waiting for 5th? Will they be re-doing the different codex for 5th? I've played Orks (main army) & Tau. I'll probably want to start with Orks this time around.

What were these two armies like in 4th and do you have any thoughts or comments on the direction of these two armies heading into 5th?

thanks

Lord Obsidianus
18-03-2008, 02:39
Wait for 5th, its only a few months away and it isnt worth getting the rules for fourth at this point.

Play the orks, get the codex as it is very recent and will not change with 5th(last one lasted ten years this one should be good for awhile).

I ahvent read the 'dex nor played the orks so no comment on what they are like on the battlefield.

ripperdoc
18-03-2008, 03:34
Thanks for the reply. Anyone else care to put their 2 cents in? I'm really curious.

carlisimo
18-03-2008, 04:39
What he said. It's a no-brainer.

You can buy the codex and start getting figures already, and you should get the new starter set in October or whenever it actually comes out. It's rumored to include a large mob of orks, a few nobs, a warboss, and three deffkoptas. And the rulebook of course.

Penitent
18-03-2008, 05:14
Go ahead and start collecting your Orks. With such a recent update, the army is pretty darn future-proof at the moment.

Really, there's never been a better time to start buying, especially with the rumored Ork contents that should be in the 5th edition box.

Lord Cook
18-03-2008, 05:40
Buy the Ork codex now, but wait for 5th Edition before you buy the main rules.

Nazdrugh
18-03-2008, 06:16
I agree with what everyone has said. Also, even if 3rd ed is the last time you played the basics are still there-and if you were already leaning towards Orks your timing is impeccable-go get the Ork codex now and start krumpin.

Lord Damocles
18-03-2008, 10:57
Sure, start Orks now. They're a pretty safe bet.

If you want to be playing fairly soon, you could always pick up a copy of the mini-rulebook off Ebay; not likely to break the bank.;)

Goruax
18-03-2008, 12:02
If you can pick up a 4th Ed rulebook pretty cheaply, then do it, since it's always good to have a set of rules yourself.