PDA

View Full Version : Squats in 4th ed.

PhrollikK
08-10-2005, 21:39
Hi.
I've a friend who's planning on building a Squat army for the current 40K rules set. I've helped him find Squat codexes on the 'net and also from my 40K 2nd ed. rules there's a wealth of information for them.

Now, my question is: Is there any codex that you know of that is widely accepted for the squats, that has been playtested and found to be fairly OK? I know there are quite a few circulating, but which of them is better than the others?

Thankful for any help :)

Rabid Bunny 666
08-10-2005, 22:56
Squat? whats a Squat? :D

there was one on Limewire, but i never downloaded it, i'd check fansites and pick and mix the stuff

Freak Ona Leash
08-10-2005, 23:19
If you can find Trenchie's, use that. It's pretty much the old Squats rules but updated for 4th ed.

Hellebore
08-10-2005, 23:28
Use imperial guard and doctrines.

With the new abhuman doctrines and some carapce armour, you can create squats without too much trouble.

Making them just another adjunct to the imperial guard would make sense, because all abhumans are part of the imperial army

hellebore

Rabid Bunny 666
08-10-2005, 23:30
but squats used Exo-Armour, basically termie armour as well as some other odd stuff

Inquisitor Engel
08-10-2005, 23:45
"Counts as" using the Ork Codex is one of the best ideas I've seen, but it's up to you.

Then again, I hate Squats. ;)

Except Grimm. Grimm can stay.

Hellebore
08-10-2005, 23:51
but squats used Exo-Armour, basically termie armour as well as some other odd stuff

And space marines used to carry multilasers.......in 1st ed ;)

Stories change and I think that the only way for the squats to have any chance of even being RE included in the fluff (ala zoats in the nid codex) is by giving them less of an impact on imperial thinking (regarding the superiority of technology).

As they are just a mutant human they really don't need or have a different culture because they still possess the same brain functions- becoming short doesn't an alien make.

Perhaps a bigger focus on industry and mining hence the higher technology, but dwarfs don't fit 40k very well (even though they are my favourite fantasy race).

Combining the inquisitor books with the imperial guard will give you a plethora of exoarmour equivalents and/or units to replace other more traditional squat units.

However I do not think that AS THEY ARE squats will ever be accepted into the 40k universe- look at the wood elves they had to totally redo them in order to make them fit 9doing a pretty good job too).

hellebore

Sanguinius
09-10-2005, 01:17

Actually, most squats wore Flak Armour.

Rabid Bunny 666
09-10-2005, 01:19
well, i'm sorry i wasn't born then :D

i know they wore guardesque armour, but apart from enginseers, there isn't snything remotely 3+ savey in the list

StugMeister
09-10-2005, 01:21
There never was a 2nd ed codex for the Squats, although there was an army list in the Codex Imperialis book that came with the game.

Helicon_One
09-10-2005, 21:38
I'd suggest the IG list, using Bikes as Rough Riders and Attack Trikes as Sentinels, and using the DH codex to add Grey Knights (Exo armour troopers) and an Inq (Ancestor Lord). That's probably your best fit.

Tim

Mojaco
09-10-2005, 21:40
IG doctrines is indeed the one and only way to go. If you use stuff like SOB or Tau you'd be violating WYSIWYG so bad it still wouldn't be accepted. "That autgun is strength 5?". Keep the regular Imperial weapons and the likes and people can easily get over the tiny little guardsmen facing them.

Daemonhunters was a good suggestion, but I think their special rules don't fit the squats at all.

Gotreksbrother
09-10-2005, 21:48
Orks arethe best dex to use...

base stats are like squats, and most have flak armour and potent weapons

nobz have mega armour option (exo armour)

you have bikes and trikes

the whole list is very squat friendly...only problem is ignoring the whole fact that it is the Ork list your using! ;)

Easy E
11-10-2005, 00:52
I'd suggest the IG list, using Bikes as Rough Riders and Attack Trikes as Sentinels, and using the DH codex to add Grey Knights (Exo armour troopers) and an Inq (Ancestor Lord). That's probably your best fit.

Tim

Agreed. Although ancestor lords were physically weak and psychically tough.

Although I saw a convincing Salamanders space marines conversion, but all the troops were scout choices. The HQ could then use Termie armor as Exo-armor. Plus, the scouts matched the Squats improved CC abilities compared to a guardsmen.

Helicon_One
11-10-2005, 14:36
Agreed. Although ancestor lords were physically weak and psychically tough.

That's in Rogue Trader, I assume? In 2nd Ed the Ancestor Lord had a monster of a profile. Either way, you could handwave an improved statline by saying he was casting a psychic ability on himself to improve his profile.

Although I saw a convincing Salamanders space marines conversion, but all the troops were scout choices. The HQ could then use Termie armor as Exo-armor. Plus, the scouts matched the Squats improved CC abilities compared to a guardsmen.

There was a rather excellent Chaos Squat army using the Thousand Sons rules on the net somewhere, too.

Tim

Easy E
11-10-2005, 22:53
The Thousand Squats- http://www.warmongerclub.com/articles/chaossquats1.html

The Salamander Squat Army-
http://www.scrapheap.bigstep.com/generic77.html

Voronwe[MQ]
12-10-2006, 14:05
Sad that there is no Slow and Purposeful Imperial Guard doctrine...

BaronDG
12-10-2006, 14:29
That would actually be very cool and different, to have the Slow and purposeful rule for an entire army...

Voronwe[MQ]
12-10-2006, 15:03
... and it would fit for squats, too.

thanoson
12-10-2006, 15:27
Or, you can put them in a LatD list as, mutants. I do like the DH/IG list idea. But in my opinion, they are more compatible with a ork list than anything else. Hell, I have to dust off my squats pretty soon to make a list. Speed freaks are very appropiate for a list. Possibly throw in a weirdboy for the ancestor lord.

Helicon_One
12-10-2006, 19:01
;1005355']Sad that there is no Slow and Purposeful Imperial Guard doctrine...
Actually.... doesn't Slave Levy grant S&P and FNP? I never saw the WD article properly....

Tim

Mechanicus
12-10-2006, 19:32
Actually.... doesn't Slave Levy grant S&P and FNP? I never saw the WD article properly....
After checking, I can confirm that it does. :)

Voronwe[MQ]
12-10-2006, 19:34
Double-checking, then, just for the sake of it; it does. :)

Though slave levies might not be the best to represent squats, as they should rather have T4 than Feel No Pain.

Axel
12-10-2006, 21:08
Using the Codex WH, with SOB and melter for armoured teams, inducted guard and IST for general troops and inquisitors for characts should work well. You could even add an Eversor or a Pentitent Engine as a death robot, and Seraphim as squats with jumppacks.

TheJrade
13-10-2006, 04:23
IG with Allied Space Marines and maybe a Kroot Mercenaries squad thrown in for good measure might be good as well.

If you are looking for a fluff reason, there is a race allied with the Tau in Battlefleet Gothic that many have speculated is the remnants of the Squat race.

downundercadet07
13-10-2006, 04:39
You realise that if you had waited a day longer, you would have resurrected this thread a full year after its last post? Wasted opportunity, if you ask me.

MR.
25-10-2006, 10:05
Hi,
(first posthere on warseer so hi everybody)
I'm in the process of creating a Squat army but have a lot of doubts on what codex use to proxy them, I'm mainly thorn between CSM (Nurgle or IronWarriors) and SM. Then again I may be wrong as I started playing just as the 2nd ed came out and never really get the opportunity to look at their Rogue Trader codex (can anyone that owns it help me?), I have nevertheless always been fond of them and thought thay ought more consideration than they have. I played also Epic back when it was called Space Marine and owned a Squat army and they were very good either playing-wise and style-wise.
Any suggestion welcome.

Voronwe[MQ]
25-10-2006, 11:58
During Rogue Trader there was no codexes, sadly, but I do think that Codex: Orks would suffice best, as long as you ignores it's orks' rules you are using. One thing at least makes this solution viable; T4.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
25-10-2006, 12:39
I've heard Squats were actually more popular in Epic than 40k itself, kind of a shame they dont do them anymore. I would of been interested to at least paint the infantry. As for 40k Squats, I still want to do a "scavanger" mini-army of them, but not after my necron c'tan worldkiller army..

Voronwe[MQ]
25-10-2006, 12:43
They was very popular in Epic, but not too much in 40k. The problem was that GW could not find a strong concept to evolve from, so they sadly dropped them.

CelestialDragonKing
25-10-2006, 13:03
I thought squats were sort of replaced as an alien race called the demiurge. Allies to the Tau. No one knows there tech or even look. but the are a squad humanoid species.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
25-10-2006, 13:33
;1031759']They was very popular in Epic, but not too much in 40k. The problem was that GW could not find a strong concept to evolve from, so they sadly dropped them.

Yeah, I can see why, I really like the pictures of those land train type things they have, really cool stuff. I'd love to see their infantry too but not been able to find closeups of their infantry sprues unfortuantly. I did however find epic CHAOS Squats on ebay yesterday, didnt even know those existed.

I can see why they were dumped though, but I still have that little soft spot for them ;)

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-10-2006, 14:45
They worked well in Epic, as there forcus was much more on the heavy machinery. That however, didn't worked well in 40k at all, and with the simplification of the psychology rules, there wasn't really a niche for squats to fill. Or at least not the one they had started with. Basically, they needed a complete rework to be viable, and I guess GW felt they could do better with something else.

Atherakhia
25-10-2006, 14:57
And space marines used to carry multilasers.......in 1st ed ;)

Stories change and I think that the only way for the squats to have any chance of even being RE included in the fluff (ala zoats in the nid codex) is by giving them less of an impact on imperial thinking (regarding the superiority of technology).

As they are just a mutant human they really don't need or have a different culture because they still possess the same brain functions- becoming short doesn't an alien make.

Perhaps a bigger focus on industry and mining hence the higher technology, but dwarfs don't fit 40k very well (even though they are my favourite fantasy race).

Combining the inquisitor books with the imperial guard will give you a plethora of exoarmour equivalents and/or units to replace other more traditional squat units.

However I do not think that AS THEY ARE squats will ever be accepted into the 40k universe- look at the wood elves they had to totally redo them in order to make them fit 9doing a pretty good job too).

hellebore

Space Marines also had access to Shuricats in 1st ed

Xisor
25-10-2006, 15:46
I thought squats were sort of replaced as an alien race called the demiurge. Allies to the Tau. No one knows there tech or even look. but the are a squad humanoid species.

Demiurg, Allies to the Tau. We know what their ships look like, but not the beings themselves. We've heard they're "squat semi-humanoid". Make of that what you will. (It could be abdomen + head w/ antenae + 4 tentacles rather than limbs, or it could be a short woman with mandibles and webbed feet...)

Xisor

Karhedron
25-10-2006, 20:19
I would consider using the Daemonhunter codex since this allows you to mix units from a variety of places. Storm Troopers would be OK as regular squat warriors and you could use inducted Marines (or even GKs) to represent Heartguard and Exo-armoured units. Marines also give access to bikes and attack bikes (Trikes) which were another Squat staple.

Revlid
25-10-2006, 21:35
Thousand Sons with no Sorcerers.
Slow, exceedingly tough. Squats.

Voronwe[MQ]
26-10-2006, 09:27
Thousand Sons with no Sorcerers.
Slow, exceedingly tough. Squats.

Not too many vehicles, though. Anyway, that's the best solution up to date I've heard.

MR.
26-10-2006, 15:12
;1033756']Not too many vehicles, though. Anyway, that's the best solution up to date I've heard.

too few heavy weapons, as a friend of mine said:

The Squats were known for 4 things.
They're Exo-armor for their Warlord and Hearthguard.
Their use of large number of heavy weapons and tanks that carried them, particularly Heavy Bolters (they could have up to one for every squad member) and plasma weapons.
Their biker forces from their Engineer Guilds. Equivalent to Marine biker squads and heavy weapon bikes....lots of heavy weapon bikes.
And fourth, their ability to fix every single piece of that equipment..
thus i think that the best way to proxy them is using marines, either chaos or loyalists
1. terminators
2. devastators/havocs (or sonic-blasters? not identical but quite similar and you can have a whole squad) with bolters and tactical with plasma
3. bikes and attack bikes or bikes and sonic-blaster-armed and melta/plasma-armed bikes
4. servo-harness and/or parasitic possession
as you may have surmised at the moment I'm thorn between a few choices:
SM (traits? dunno, space wolves maybe?) as they have almost all you need plus even speeders for iron eagles -if you remember them from epic-
iron warriors as they have the right feeling, oblits are perfect for tarantulas
emperor's children just for the blaster if nothing else
death guard because of their ability to withstand punishment that I see as very appropriate, plus thay usually have lot of plasma, but mainly just because i like it.
Any thought?

MR.
30-10-2006, 13:56
now that I'm thinking of it: what about orks with deathskull klan rules?

Khadhar'phak
13-01-2007, 16:44
There's a nice codex here:
http://members.tripod.com/arcturas_stronghold/daewar/index.htm

Some of the rules will need to be modded, but it "feels" right when I play it. Dual weapons are also cool :D

Lockjaw
13-01-2007, 17:34
could always use an IG armored company list, lots of tanks

Khadhar'phak
13-01-2007, 22:27
I don't think the squats used a lot of tanks all the time. I could be wrong of course, I haven't read all of the background, and I've only been in the hobby 3 years. I found another list:
http://www.intellectawe.com/40K.html
This one's another good job. Even has a time line to back up the background.

Noserenda
15-01-2007, 02:15
Ork or IG list, the problem with using Marines etc is the Power Armour on every trooper just so a 5 man squad can use exo/terminator armour when the majority of Squats were in humble flak armour and toting a lasgun or axe/pistol combo.

If you want an assault/Biker Guild based army, or insist on Exo Amrour, go Ork, if you want a static firepower army, or a few worthwile tanks, go IG.

Khadhar'phak
17-01-2007, 21:24
Here's a great list I just found:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~thevault/warvault/40k/squats/index.html
It's a very "Dwarfy" list though.