PDA

View Full Version : Banshee Scream vs Steam Tank

EvC
18-03-2008, 12:49
Yes, two of the forum's favourite subjects! :D

So, simple question: does the Steam Tank now take wounds from a Banshee's scream? I'm playing someone later this week that I expect to argue passionately that it doesn't, no matter what the rules say, so any pointers either way will be appreciated! :D

Spirit
18-03-2008, 12:54
Does it have a LD?

And i suppose the argument REALLY is, which takes precedence

Steam tank rule: Anything without a S value does not do any damage to the Steam tank

Banshees: The scream now affects everything, but presumably you will need a LD value to do this, hence why i ask.

EvC
18-03-2008, 13:30
Well that Steam Tank rule only applies to spell effects, which the Banshee's Ghostly Howl is not. As to whether it has an Ld value... well I did try to check the GW website's Empire refrence sheet, but they haven't updated it from the 6th edition reference sheet yet :rolleyes:

Atrahasis
18-03-2008, 13:44
The tank does indeed now take wounds from the Banshee - there's no reason why it shouldn't.

If his objection is "fluff" based, then simply argue that the Banshee screams at the Tank's resonant frequency ;)

tdh6002
18-03-2008, 13:49
The banshee scream just kills everyone inside the tank.

Chaos Undecided
18-03-2008, 13:52
Thing is the rules for the banshee states that wounds caused on a war machine are discarded and the Steam Tank's own entry states that it is considered to be a war machine.

Surely this would make the Steam Tank immune to the howl completely?

Atrahasis
18-03-2008, 13:56
Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

In that case, the Stank is immune.

EvC
18-03-2008, 14:13
Hehe, but the Steam Tank doesn't count as a warmachine in close combat does it? Or else I'd be spiking it (just kidding).

Malorian
18-03-2008, 14:46
My vote is that the steam tank is immune to it. Not because of it being a warmachine, but because it's not a str based attack.

EvC
18-03-2008, 14:53
Banshee's scream isn't a spell, thus that doesn't matter.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
18-03-2008, 15:00
I would say immune it's a warmachine with a special rule saying that it's immune to effects of a attack without strength ( granted that may be for spells) the odds are stacked at the end of the day let the dice decide

Lordsaradain
18-03-2008, 15:01
Good luck wounding the Ld 10 tank with banshee howl tho...

Spirit
18-03-2008, 18:23
Good luck wounding the Ld 10 tank with banshee howl tho...

Rolling 9 on 2 dice isn't impossible you know...

Hehe, but the Steam Tank doesn't count as a warmachine in close combat does it? Or else I'd be spiking it (just kidding).

Oh good god don't bring him in here as well, he'll end up have the steam tank screaming down the banshee.

T10
18-03-2008, 23:52
With the current VC army hype, don't be surprised if you see a screaming match between two opposing Banshees. It could happen in your gaming circle. It could be happening now!

-T10

larabic
19-03-2008, 00:19
I take it they removed the immune to psyche sentence from the rule? In the old days it didn't effect anything unless you took psyche tests. If they did take that out it's pretty lame.

Spirit
19-03-2008, 00:31
Yes, they took that out, they effect "everything" now.

grishnakh99
19-03-2008, 00:43
It specifically says to discard wounds dealt to warmachines in the banshee's entry. The steam tank is Immune (as much as I wish it wasn't).

Lordmonkey
19-03-2008, 00:47
I take it they removed the immune to psyche sentence from the rule? In the old days it didn't effect anything unless you took psyche tests. If they did take that out it's pretty lame.

Haha. Right. Ever took a banshee to a tournament? Didn't think so.

They took that out, as far as I can see, for several good reasons, the largest and greatest of all being Daemon Legions, second to perhaps Tree Spirits and Slaanesh Chaos.

GW release an army list which contains a bloodline whos powers mainly affect things that immune to psychology (Lahmia), give it a rare choice with the same drawback, and then invent a myriad of lists which are totally immune to said gimping. Whenever I played in any kind of tournament setting, I always hated the fact that i looked at my rare choices and only saw the Black Coach. When you start making entire armies immune to specific units is when the aesthetics of the system fall down.

As far as the steam tank is concerned, I would say it should be immune to the banshee. It's a warmachine, so the sentence in the new banshee rules should cover it perfectly fine. Besides, it doesn't make huge tactical sense to pit a banshee vs a ld 10 unit anyway.

Wordman
19-03-2008, 00:49
Yeah, the Steam Tank is classified as a war machine (with some special rules unique to it).

Nurgling Chieftain
19-03-2008, 01:28
With the current VC army hype, don't be surprised if you see a screaming match between two opposing Banshees. It could happen in your gaming circle. It could be happening now!Does the Ethereal rule make their screams magical? If not, they can't hurt each other. :p

Lordmonkey
19-03-2008, 01:47
Does the Ethereal rule make their screams magical? If not, they can't hurt each other. :p

Hmm...

There's nothing to say it is magical, so I would say no - probably plenty of other juicy targets to scream at anyway!

Chicago Slim
19-03-2008, 02:40
Ooh-- nice hack, that: A banshee makes a noise that it cannot, itself, hear!

Lordmonkey
19-03-2008, 02:47
Ooh-- nice hack, that: A banshee makes a noise that it cannot, itself, hear!

Oh, the tricks! Just like the Skaven Bell of doomy-doom doesnt seem to upset skaven!