PDA

View Full Version : how do you use traits\doctrines

carldooley
18-03-2008, 14:52
how do you imperial players use traits(SM) and doctrines(IG) do you use them to give your armies a little bit of fluff, or do you use them to fill out your armies with your preferred units? I suppose that I am asking a question akin to the chicken and the egg, and I personally take traits to fill out my army over taking traits to give my army a background, but I am genuinely curious as to how everyone else uses them.

RampagingRavener
18-03-2008, 14:56
I decide what sort of background 'battle doctrine' the army will have in it's fluff. Then, that gets translated to how best I can represent that on-table. And in order to best represent that, relevent traits/doctrines will be chosen if I think they're needed.

So in other words, I use trailts/doctrines to best represent my army's background and fluff.

Gen.Steiner
18-03-2008, 15:45
I use doctrines to represent the army's background. I don't pick them to gain an appreciable advantage, I pick them because it'll be fun.

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-03-2008, 16:13
Hear, Hear, General Steiner!

I use Traits to either justify an army's background, or to justify their appearance on the battlefield, mostly. Now, sometimes, that "appearance" may also include "weapons/wargear/character types" that they have, but in my mind that's incedental.

My tactics are rarely adjusted for the Traits. Nor do I generally take Traits in order to refine an already-beloved tactic.Truth of the matter is, my tactical acumen is a mix between "Charge of the Light Brigade" stupidity and sheer Orky...well, stupidity. I don't play much, and always lose.

But in my mind, whatever Chapter I've fielded has a long and gl-o-o-o-rious history, and is "the way they are" because it helped them survive through the millenia.

EDIT: Purity Above All and Scions of Mars...are awesome together, for example. Or at least, I think so.

Are they tactically advantageous in any way, especially together?

How the hell would I know? I rarely discern how Traits should be combined for maximum advantage. In fact, I often forget what the Apothecaries are out there for, so it makes little difference. Techmarines' Litany of the Omnissiah? What's that? Oh, yeah, those guys are there to repair stuff...I forgot...I just wanted one of them leading the army :) .

boogle
18-03-2008, 16:17
I'm a Renegade and Heretics player so i'm pretty much stuck with my doctrines, but i really feel the ones selected by FW capture the feel of the list.

As for Marines, i prefer to use 2 Special weapons as an advantage and usually less armoured support for my disadvantage