PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Vampire counts: (Maybe I'll get a comment this time...)

Malorian
18-03-2008, 14:59
Lvl 3 vampire lord w/ master of black arts, summon ghouls, ghoulkin, blood drinker, crown of the damned (420)
Vampire w/ master of black arts, sceptre of noirot (175)
Vampire w/ master of black arts, book of arkhan (185)
Necromancer w/ staff of damnation (95)

15 crypt ghouls w/ ghast (128)
10 crypt ghouls (80)

Corpse cart w/ unholy load stone (100)
Corpse cart w/ unholy load stone (100)

20 Grave guard w/ FC, great weapons (290)

7 Black knights (168)

Total: 1997
PD: 14 + 4 bound spells
DD: 7

So there are the three ghoul units and a bunker unit behind. The lord should be fine in a front unit.

After my first game I now know I have to start the corpse carts between the front ghoul units to start, other wise after the free movement I'm spending the whole game chasing them.

Some things that I would also like to change is find a way to get the helm of command in to help out the grave guard (who had their butts handed to them by a small unit of dryads), but I can't decide what I should drop or if it's worth dropping anything...

Thoughts?

Gaftra
18-03-2008, 15:30
i might reduce the GG to 15 and give them a char to really put some oomph to that unit since its your only strong standing CR and will help with units like dryads, trolls, ogres that rely on wounds. I might also put a unit or two of dire wolves or bats just to have something that moves fast to support your knights and can harass flanks, warmachines, and lone wizards. how did your ghouls work for you? ive been curious to find out if that many work well.

szlachcic
18-03-2008, 15:39
Some things that I would also like to change is find a way to get the helm of command in to help out the grave guard (who had their butts handed to them by a small unit of dryads), but I can't decide what I should drop or if it's worth dropping anything...
Thoughts?

I would give them the Banner of the Barrows so that they hit more often. Also, think about dropping a few guys in the unit and expanding the frontage to 6 models. I find that the large frontage works better when you are relying on one high strength hit per model.

Other than that it looks fine. I am curious to see how all the ghouls work out compared to skeletons. It seems offensively powerful, but I still think ghouls will work best as small flanking units.

Da Black Gobbo
18-03-2008, 15:43
I like it but there are some points that i'm not so convinced:

1 You have a solid army with some good magic but you lack on mobility (not speed to reach the combat, its not the same). You need flanking units to achieve some advantage over the enemy CR.

2 You need unless a hard hitting fast unit, black coach, vargulf, blood knights or something like that not so expensive but able to hammer, Black knights are good but Ws 3 and 1 atttack (even if it is KB) is not awesome.

3 Ghouls aren't bad but against a shooty army you will suffer since it's not difficult to kill a unit of 15, and if you don't have unit you cannot rise it, bigger units or get some skellies with light armour and shield, they have static CR while the vamps get extra CR with their killness.

Malorian
18-03-2008, 17:07
I'd actually argue that ghouls are better against shooty armies. I get to them sooner thanks to the ghoul kin and being T 4 they are just as resilient if not better (there is enough posts with the math that I won't do it again here).

Dropping some grave guard shouldn't be a problem, and go to six wide is a good idea too. The problem with putting a character with them is that other than my lord my other characters can't exactly hold their own in combat, and I need my general in the center of the ghouls to keep them moving. (Also I'm using lahmian vampires so there is no armor on them for WYSIWYG)

Barrows it also a bit expensive when I could get the same effect with the helm (if I could fins a place to put it. What item would you drop to put the helm in?

Sarael
18-03-2008, 19:02
A Lahmian Ghoulking?

I'd drop one crown for the other, and leave the caster in her bunker in the back.

I agree on the GG thoughts, drop some and either add another unit of GG or increase the base sizes of your ghouls.

Malorian
18-03-2008, 19:28
Increase the ghoul size? I thought I was being pretty generous as it was. A lot of magic heavy lists start with only the basic 10.

I could trade one crown for the other... but I hate the itea of spending all those points on a lord that doesn't use her combat abilities, so I was thinking of putting it on one of the vampires that sit in the back. Although the WS 7 is much better than WS 6 if I'm up against WS 3... If only I could take two lords!!! ; )

One thing I've also though about was dropping the blood drinker for something cheaper (like sword of battle) to free up some points...

tom1354788
18-03-2008, 23:04
you have got to have some protection on your lord otherwise how will you deal with flying monsters?

also spells like eadbut and the hochl;and long rifle will be a big problem

Malorian
19-03-2008, 01:28
Well the lord does have toughness 5, a 4+ ward and 3 wounds...

Yhcrana
19-03-2008, 03:16
Looks good but I'm not sure about the master of the black arts on your 2 heroes, it gives each hero 3 dice to use for them self and they can only restore wounds, I would give them dark acolyte and summon ghouls. Then they can also raise the units above starting strength and have a better chance of rolling up Vanhels at the start of the game.

Malorian
19-03-2008, 03:45
Well they know IoN and 1 spell from the list, so they can always do that instead.

Here's a thought I've been playing with:

-Change the blood drinker to sword of might
-Drop 1 ghoul from center unit (it will be made up by the lord joining)
-Drop the grave guard completely

-Add barding to the black knights
-Add 6 cairn wraiths

In the one game I played I found that the flank held by the grave guard was the weak flank and I'm debating if cairn wraiths could do the job better. What do you think?

Spirit
19-03-2008, 16:41
Looks good but I'm not sure about the master of the black arts on your 2 heroes, it gives each hero 3 dice to use for them self and they can only restore wounds, I would give them dark acolyte and summon ghouls. Then they can also raise the units above starting strength and have a better chance of rolling up Vanhels at the start of the game.

You are aware they get invocation AND another spell right?

Most of the vampire spells are 8+ or less, not impossible for lvl 1 mages.

And besides, his army is based around raising, and raising as much as humanly possible, quickly.

However i would be tempted to make ONE an acolyte, to get some bigger spells off. You only lose 1 power dice, and you gain 20 points (good opportunity to get the helm also i would think.

Spirit
19-03-2008, 16:42
Oh and id also give my knights barding, but thats probably because i'm in the "they don't suffer -1" crowd.