PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Gondor Army

Mkstein
18-03-2008, 18:22
Hey.

I have numerous 'Fun' armies for 40k and for LoTR and am building a competitive Gondor one of 1000 points, which is broken into a 300 & a 700 point section. Here it is:

36 WoMT - 12 with Shields, 12 with Shields & Spears, 12 with Bows
2 WoMT - Banners
2 Captains of Minas Tirith - Shields
Faramir - Heavy Armour, Horse, Lance
5 Knights - Shields
5 Citadel Guard - Longbows
1 Citadel Guard - Spear

300:
Boromir, CotWT - Horse, Lance Shield
Captain - Shields, Horse, Lance
Beregond

I have 26 points left, and I dunno what to spend them on so any suggestions?

Cheers

Leviro
18-03-2008, 18:36
I'd spend the 26 points on another knight and/or a couple of rangers (possibly 4), maybe removing some of the WoMT in return for more rangers (about 8).

Mkstein
20-03-2008, 15:04
Thanks. I was going to try and stear away from the ranger side of things as I also play Grey Company but the Knight idea I like. Would it be a good Idea to use the 26 points to give an existing Knight a banner?

Leviro
20-03-2008, 18:49
Thanks. I was going to try and stear away from the ranger side of things as I also play Grey Company but the Knight idea I like. Would it be a good Idea to use the 26 points to give an existing Knight a banner?
It would be ok if you think that your knights have enough strength to destroy the flank of your enemy with one or two attacks less, it doesnt seem mutch, but it always helps to have 2 more attacks. I was thinking more about rangers of gondor, not the grey company tipe, I dont know what other troops you could include. Maybe you could change a captain for a ballistae thing (sorry dont know its name), and use up your extra points that way.

catsrule23
20-03-2008, 21:03
perosnally as a good gondor army i would do a mounted force. FRom the ammount of armies you have i guess you are an experienced player that can handle a manuverable force.
I'd go for:
boromir on horse
faramir or captain on horse( depending on theme)
a few bowmen maybe rangers
and bulk out rest on knights.

I have found this army works well with enough might and a good charge from that army can take alot of models of the field.
For theme purposes drop boromir add damrod and do them as the reinforcements that left osgiliath

the army you made is good but you havent got enough might or any reasonable advanced warriors.
hope this helps

Mkstein
20-03-2008, 21:22
Cheers Guys.

I didn't want to use the Bolt Thrower as I find it has too short a range and bowmen work better. Despite having numerous armies, I've never played a cavalry heavy force, so more than 8 cavalry models would be a bit of a challenge. Up until now, I've always used them as flank breakers or to ride down isolated groups.
What kind of troops do you mean by reasonable advanced? Rangers, Citadel Guard, fountain court?
Should I cut some of the existing troops to add in a ranger force?

Once again, cheers guys

catsrule23
21-03-2008, 17:10
i still feel a cavalry force would be worthwhile as it is hard hitting and manuverable. it is also hard to kill and with lances and sheilds can take down things on 5's with two attacks. This is almost a dead certainty of happening.
By advanced troops i mean guard of the fountain court, but if possible give them sheilds as defence seven is hard to defeat.backed up by spears and maybe even an alliance with dol amroth men at arms that is 3 fight value 4 attacks with a half chance of winning the fight.
hope this also helps

swordmaster1299
26-03-2008, 01:48
use Knights you can never go wrong with knights

battle captain corpus
26-03-2008, 13:01
Go with a Knight force! 18 knights never leave my side when I play! The look on your opponents face is golden trust me! Come to think of it, I feel another boxset being bought now! 24! For Gondor!...
Yeah, knights are great, plus with some rangers or even just normal men of gondor in there its a good laugh, trust me. Psycologically (spl??) they are fearsome but on the charge, with Boromir you will rarely lose the pace and momentum. One tip though, never stop moving, wheel and charge, dis-engage and re-charge again and again if your not using a character. Otherwise you run the risk of being surrounded and swamped by billies with nasty weapons waiting to unsaddle you...been there my friend!
So in conclusion, all knights...

Mkstein
26-03-2008, 21:06
I'm certainly feeling a Knightly vibe here...
So, that's what I'll do! Here's the list fresh and new! (I'm a poet an' I don't know it! Brownie points for the next line...:chrome:)

Boromir - Lance, Horse, Shield 195
Faramir - Heavy Armour, Horse, Lance 90
Captain - Horse, Shield 65
Beregond - ... 25
11 Knights of Minas Tirith - Shields 154
1 KoMT - Banner 38
1 WoMT - Banner 32
8 Citadel Guard - Longbows 80
2 CItadel Guard - Spear 18

Thoughts? It's just 700, but the extra 300 I'll add when I've used it more.

Cheers

battle captain corpus
08-04-2008, 11:17
Thats a much better list. :)
You have some big charcacters there too, you may not even need Beregond to be honest though, unless you drop the 2 Spearman and replace them with bowman, giving you the ability to volley fire....just a thought ;)

Pitalla Crimson
09-04-2008, 06:37
I would take out those WOMT with bows and I would put some rangers of Gondor.
Also I would recomend the WOTFC rather than citadel guard with spear.

As for the latest list, take out one banner and the captain on horse and use those points in more troops cause otherwise youll get uber outnumbered.

battle captain corpus
09-04-2008, 13:52
I would take out those WOMT with bows and I would put some rangers of Gondor.
Also I would recomend the WOTFC rather than citadel guard with spear.

As for the latest list, take out one banner and the captain on horse and use those points in more troops cause otherwise youll get uber outnumbered.

I agree. The banner for the WOMT is really not needed with so few minis and Beregond in there.
Also on the Rangers front this is an excellent idea. Very good skirmish troops your humble Ranger, with excellent fight and a respectable Defence, harnessed with the ability to have spears aswell. Groups of even 5-8 can be a thorny side ache for opponents. ;)

macharian_mike
09-04-2008, 19:34
I hate to be the lone dissenter but as cool as knights are I don't believe them to be competitive at all. You have too few models. While you get the two attacks on the charge, I would say it's reasonable to expect that your opponent will also (spears, pikes, two figures on the large cavalry base, whatever).
Fight 3 isn't exactly "god-like" (I wish there were more fight 3's instead of all the 4's currently, but that's not the case). The three inch range on a mounted banner rarely gets you more than five fights, unless your surrounded.
More than likely three fights on average will be affected. So you stand a great chance of killing those opponents in the fights you do win but I find it very easy to outnumber cavalry armies with infantry and boost my chances of winning the combats drastically. You definitely need the Might points to break off and recharge but if your opponent spends his for the heroic moves you're down to that 50/50 rolloff and it's good-bye cavalry in one turn!
Taking a cavalry force to supplement your army = great idea! All cavalry = bad! If you are looking for ways to diversify your Gondor army look at the fiefdom choices. Some two handed weapons with either Clansmen or the Lossnarch axemen should do the trick. I would always take a Ranger over Citadel Guard for archery prowess. I believe your chances to wound the defence 4 guys doesn't change (I don't recall the defense 5 numbers?). But you hit quite a bit more often.
Anyway, my two cents.

battle captain corpus
10-04-2008, 09:12
I hate to be the lone dissenter but as cool as knights are I don't believe them to be competitive at all. You have too few models. While you get the two attacks on the charge, I would say it's reasonable to expect that your opponent will also (spears, pikes, two figures on the large cavalry base, whatever).
Fight 3 isn't exactly "god-like" (I wish there were more fight 3's instead of all the 4's currently, but that's not the case). The three inch range on a mounted banner rarely gets you more than five fights, unless your surrounded.
More than likely three fights on average will be affected. So you stand a great chance of killing those opponents in the fights you do win but I find it very easy to outnumber cavalry armies with infantry and boost my chances of winning the combats drastically. You definitely need the Might points to break off and recharge but if your opponent spends his for the heroic moves you're down to that 50/50 rolloff and it's good-bye cavalry in one turn!
Taking a cavalry force to supplement your army = great idea! All cavalry = bad!

Evidently you havent faced a a player who knows how to use a full cavalry force properly then. And I speak as someone who has an all cavalry force and has lost one in 15 games...and that was against Sauron.
Any fool who charges cavarly into a character led phalanx will soon learn this pretty dumb mistake anyway. Its not rocket science winning with cavalry, just takes a little more thought thats all.

andymeechan
10-04-2008, 09:17
Knights of Minas Tirith are hampered by the low D value on their horse, so a balance of knights and foot troops would make for a stronger force. The knights can be used as a counter-attack element, or a relocatable shock troop depending on the foes you face. 8-12 cavalry (including those all-important heroes) would work well in conjunction with as many foot troops as you can find.

I agree that, if you're looking for a competitive force, then Rangers are a sweet addition.