PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz Wardancer army

RavenBloodwind
18-03-2008, 23:31
So, in throwing around ideas for a wood elf army for the 3,500 point 'Ard Boyz tournament I came up with the following rather ridiculous army. My regular opponent hates wardancers and so with 5 special slots to use and a max unit size of 15, I propose an army of 75 wardancers!

The points work out such that you basically have a 2k army with no special slots available to design in support of 75 wardancers.

This build is "The Warhost of Loec" which is deliberately not a shooting army although I suspect that taking some gladeriders and gladeguard would make a more viable/balanced army this is intended to just look good on the table.

Heroes:
General- Avatar of Loec (Treeman Ancient with cluster and annoyance). He's modelled off an Eldar Avatar to look like a giant wardancer

Wizard Lord with lore of Loec (beasts) level 4 with wand of wych elm and dispel scroll. This will probably modelled off a harlequin shadowseer

Spellsinger (level 2) with 2 dispel scrolls. Probably with the male spellsinger model with the horns on his shoulders minus the horns and painted with wardancer warpaint

Wardancer noble with moonstone

Wardancer noble with no upgrades

BSB with Royal standard of Ariel. Probably modeled from a spear-toting wardancer noble

The thought on the higher levels on the wizards is just to get a better chance to get a spell off over the course of the game, may really be a waste of points though. I know people will have the treeman/BSB for cheese but I'll live with that.

Troops:
4x Dryads 8 w/champion (these act as missile screen and supporting chargers for the wardancers, and meet the core requirements)
5x Wardancer 15 w/champ-musician
2x Waywatchers 6-man (for march blocking and warmaching harrassment) unsure if I can justify these in the wardancer-themed army so might leave behind. Can't justify another treeman as the one is the 'avatar of loec'.

Summary:
Power Dice 8
Dispel Dice 6 (reroll w/wand of wych elm) and 3 scrolls
Models 125
Points 3490

The royal banner is put centered in the army so the wardancer units are all MR-2 which will help with the relative lack of dispel dice.

One wardancer unit with moonstone noble pops into the enemies soft underbelly to wreak havoc while the waywatchers march block and the rest of the army makes its way forward with the dryads acting as missile screens since they have higher toughness and a better ward save.

IronBrother
19-03-2008, 04:27
Sorry to tell you but Magic Resistance (MR) does not stack, you pick one or the other if you have two different MR, in this case it is the same. But it will help out your dryads and treeman and stuff. Also, I would consider taking the Staff of Sorcery on your level 2, the +1 to your dispel roll, plus re-roll failed dispel and MR is a crazy combination. I have played two games against opponents with 20 casting dice and they got two spell off the entire game (I let them off as they would not affect my army), against my seven dispel plus MR. Looks fun though I like all the wardancers, just pray you don't fight a bunch of HE's

RavenBloodwind
19-03-2008, 15:44
Thanks for the feedback on your experience and clarifying the issue with MR. I guess I was misinterpreting the 'gives units MR1' issue. And yes, I really don't relish the idea of fighting high elves with this army although combined flank attacks with the ASF dance would probably stand a chance. I can't really decide if 4+ ward and more attacks or ASF with fewer attacks is more suitable.

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
19-03-2008, 15:55
I would say go for the ward, personally. That was you don't lose an attack, and you actually have a save. Against Swordmasters and the like Wardancers really need protection, so a 4+ ward is really valuable.

IronBrother
19-03-2008, 16:11
I agree I always go ward save with my Wardancers, because lets face it, if they don't break that unit in the first round of combat they are dead. I also try to get Call of the Hunt off when they are already in combat, to give +1 attack and letting them keep the ward. And if you get really lucky you ca cast Regen on the unit for that much more protection.

RavenBloodwind
19-03-2008, 16:13
I agree I always go ward save with my Wardancers, because lets face it, if they don't break that unit in the first round of combat they are dead. I also try to get Call of the Hunt off when they are already in combat, to give +1 attack and letting them keep the ward. And if you get really lucky you ca cast Regen on the unit for that much more protection.

In that vein then, would you go with Loren on the wizard lord? I was thinking casting Bears anger on a wardancer noble before he moonstones across the board had a certain appeal...

Uriain
20-03-2008, 03:59
Oh that would be dirty, Bears Anger on the Wardancer Noble..lol dirty dirty pool mate...definatly do it lol

IronBrother
20-03-2008, 04:25
I would always go with the Lore of Athel Loren with the WE's. It is very defensive, and tends to help your army out more than the lore of beasts. And lets face it a toughness 3 army needs it.