PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between a couple armies

Phenomenal
19-03-2008, 03:37
Yes, I've read the sticky about picking a new army. Skaven and Wood Elves are my choices. But the store I'm in plays HIGHLY competitively. The standard for tournament play is the standard for a "Fun Game" in the store I play in. We don't mess around. I've been messing with the WE book for a while and I've found little to no way to counter Knights and War Machines, used quite a lot here. As with Skaven, I've noticed their incredibly low leadership and I haven't found a way around it. They have a special rule that gives +1 to LD for every rank in the unit? But their Warp Lightning Cannons and Poison Wind Globadiers are more than enough to kill Knights and War Machines. Here's the conundrum :: The one way I did find to counter knights was to flank them with Wild Riders or a Treeman. The rules are amazing and I can dominate the field with the tree and tree movement. And the models are awesome. However, I've always liked a rank and file army, some of their models are awesome and their rules are so random it's cool.

Other than what I've stated, are there any veterans of either army that could possible help me out of this situation?

Badbones777
19-03-2008, 04:22
All things being equal, you cant go far wrong with Nigel Stillmans advice from a long time ago when choosing a new army-If you were sucked into the warhamme world somehow and your personality was used as to morph you into a member of the species it most fits, what do you think you would hand on heart be? Always a good basis. He also said go for the one whos models you like over rules, as it obviously inspires you more and you are more likely to stick with it.

As for Skaven low LD, thats not quite true-BEFORE they break, they are in fact pretty solid, thanks to teh strenght in numbers rule, but yes, once they HAVE fled, they are pretty much gone. BUt up until then, they generally dont have thatmuch more morale problems then any other army. Skaven, I can attest to, are also surprisingly satisfying to play- No Cav, no flyers, And you cant rely on tour characters to mince through things in the same way as, say, a tooled up vampire or chaos Lord- It forces you to get your infantry tactics down, and despite being a fantasy game, when all is said and done, battles are (or should be) decided by superior use of troops, in particular infantry.

Wood Elves, ive never used, but the list looks very interesting, and I can imagine some quite effective, fluffy and un-cheesey armies being more than possible. They also have an interesting array of characters ad the models are, indeed, fantastic. I myself would go for skaven, butthen I am biased towads armies that can have a good, strong core of infantry, (I also play tomb kings) with other things essentially as support, rather than the focus, of the army.

Staurikosaurus
19-03-2008, 14:20
If you're trying to build a cheesy list, make a Wood Elf list with a caster mage with staff that let's him tree sing like mad. The rest of your army is 2 treemen a bunch of dryads and treekin. No elves.

Feefait
19-03-2008, 14:37
This is tough. Skaven are my core army, but I've recently started WE after a long courtship and really enjoy them too. If you are playing "tournament" style then you may have LD problems with Skaven. Meaning you will be running lots of jezzails, weapons teams and solo casters. That's where the Skaven leadership stinks. Now massed up I have never had an issue with Skaven. Until they break, as mentioned. However they don't really break, at least for me, any more then anyone else. Problem is once broken they usually don't come back. But if you truly wnat to get into the spirit of the rat and enjoy their style that's cool with you. Otherwise go with a solid LD army like WE.

Either one can deal with warmachines and cavalry equally well, though different. if you don't wnat to play "tourny" style to have fun then don't let them suck you into playing that way. I am sure you will find people willing to play more casual, fun games. now if that's how you feel you will have fun playing then go for it, either list can be "cheesed".

Phenomenal
19-03-2008, 16:24
I find it fun to play tournament style non-stop. I seldomly play at the store next to the college I attend. They are absolutely no challenge whatsoever. I played against the "Best Player" they had for 40k. I rickrolled him all over the table. Before I sold my Ogres, I played against the self proclaimed best fantasy player around for miles. It was like a lamb to the slaughter. But, at any given time when I go back home to play, I have to think to play and have more than 10 models in a 1750 Eldar army killed.

It's still hard to pick between the two because they're both awesome and I rarely see them being played. I'll post up two army lists and try to dictate which one would be easier and funner to play.

W0lf
19-03-2008, 17:17
SAD or dual treemen with a BSB.

Wahever you fancy really. Oh and with a grey seer most your units are LD 9. hardly low now is it?

Necromancer2
19-03-2008, 19:57
Grey seer? Don't you mean Warlord?

wood elves are easier to paint! ;)

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
20-03-2008, 01:28
wood elves are a hard army to start of with they require lots of skills and timely attacks and fleeing to work whereas skaven are slighly more forgiving based on the fact tht the enemy can kill three units anf you still have four left to get the job done with jezzails and ratling guns and lots of warlock engineers you'd decimate an opponent Skaven first IMO

Dirty Fingers
20-03-2008, 05:34
Yes, I've read the sticky about picking a new army. Skaven and Wood Elves are my choices. But the store I'm in plays HIGHLY competitively. The standard for tournament play is the standard for a "Fun Game" in the store I play in. We don't mess around. I've been messing with the WE book for a while and I've found little to no way to counter Knights and War Machines, used quite a lot here. As with Skaven, I've noticed their incredibly low leadership and I haven't found a way around it. They have a special rule that gives +1 to LD for every rank in the unit? But their Warp Lightning Cannons and Poison Wind Globadiers are more than enough to kill Knights and War Machines. Here's the conundrum :: The one way I did find to counter knights was to flank them with Wild Riders or a Treeman. The rules are amazing and I can dominate the field with the tree and tree movement. And the models are awesome. However, I've always liked a rank and file army, some of their models are awesome and their rules are so random it's cool.

Other than what I've stated, are there any veterans of either army that could possible help me out of this situation?

well..personally i hate to play in that sort of environment, but to each his own i guess.

I don't play either army myself, but had played a couple guys who used both armies a number of times and seen them used plenty more. i've always been partial to the SAD list. It's just devastating. It pours out so much firepower that leadership ends up not being as big of an issue as you'd think it would be. just take lots of ratling guns (say 4-5 with 20 strong clanrat units), two warp lightning cannons, as many casters as you can, and then fill out the rest with jezzails. it's terrible. whole units just vanish.