PDA

View Full Version : Gahh!! I need to decide this before saturday! GG VS CW

Malorian
19-03-2008, 05:38
In an army based on being magic heavy raising and getting to the army fast and hitting them hard (ghoulkin/blackknights), what would you rather have?

20 Grave guard w/ full command and great weapons

or

6 Cairn wraiths

Help...

Edit: For those that are wondering, both options are basically the same amount of points.

najo
19-03-2008, 06:01
20 grave gaurd w/ full command and great weapons. They have t4, good armor saves, magic attacks, +2 strength, and invocation gives them d6 models.

6 cairn wraiths are going to be very hard to support with your magic. They are going to be very vulnerable to your enemy's magic too. It depends on the rest of your army though, what other units do you have?

Malorian
19-03-2008, 06:05
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133507

This is the army list I'm thinking of changing.

Malorian
19-03-2008, 19:30
Wow... 100% say grave guard... I guess I have to learn to use graveguard better...

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
20-03-2008, 01:01
grave guard man killing blow is what it's about

Spirit
20-03-2008, 01:18
Its not that you have to use GG better, its just that cairn wraiths are very very fragile, i don,t like them personally.

Malorian
20-03-2008, 03:23
Hey... a vote for 'either is fine'... now I could use them and only the majority of people would think I'm stupid...

AngryAngel
20-03-2008, 05:20
Well think about it, if you were a vampire someone to guard your grave is a must. Afterall, you have to go back there someday. Don't want a bunch of gypsies and crusty jugglers running around all over the place. So go grave guard all the way.

Goldenwolf
20-03-2008, 06:45
The Wraiths can be great, or can be dogmeat. Certain units w/magic ranged weapons or war machines wipe them out.

GG will hang around a bit, draw fire and enemy units, and maybe even win a combat without help.

Cromenon
20-03-2008, 14:06
GG w/GW are gold. Cairn Wraiths are dreadful, for sure, but fragile: one 8+ spell a la Gaze of Nagash and you're screwed.

Furthermore, a 20 man sized Grave Guard unit with Great Weapons causes more psycological impact in your opponent than a 6-man unit of Wraiths.

DeathlessDraich
21-03-2008, 10:42
In an army based on being magic heavy raising and getting to the army fast and hitting them hard (ghoulkin/blackknights), what would you rather have?

20 Grave guard w/ full command and great weapons

or

6 Cairn wraiths

Help...

It depends on your Vampiric powers and army composition.

Grave Guard is the safe and easy option.

Cairn Wraith requires skill but will be more spectacular when used well.

1) 6 Cairn Wraiths can almost certainly destroy many combat units with or without support while 20 Grave Guard are very difficult to deplete.

2) If you have Forbidden lore and >10 Power dice, then your magic phase can be tailored to nullify your opponent's magic and magical shooting. The 2 armies Cairn wraiths have to look out for are WE and Skaven e.g.
A) Against WE: Howler Wind and Rain Lord plus Master of Stone against gunlines on a hill and of course Master of the Woods.
B) Against Skaven: Several ways. Easiest might be: Raise Dead 4 times each magic phase and swamp Jezzails etc with Zombies; Charge WLC with Fell Bats; Use Gaze of Nagash and Rod of Flaming Death on Ratling guns and units with Warp weapons.

3) Against non shooting low Leadership armies (O&G, Beastmen and Ogres) - combine the Banshee's howl with Death spell, Doom and Darkness

Von Wibble
21-03-2008, 10:49
I would like either. But Grave guard don't strike me as being the type of unit to fit your army, with its fast elites (presumably ghouls getting free move also). Cairn Wraiths are great but 6 is too much.

I would have 3 with a banshee, and then use the 150 or so points change to get a cheap unit of black knights, fell bats, or (if out of special choices) some dire wolves and ghouls. Without seeing the army list I can't comment further as my advice could be completely wrong for what else you have.