PDA

View Full Version : Painted Armies

Rubicon
19-03-2008, 20:09
Really I'd just ike to know what percentage of People's armies are painted. Do you only ever game with painted models? Is it a case of only using un-painted models when they are brand new? Do you have a unit that you frequently use that youve never got around to painting?

For example, My normal 2k Druchii are all painted, although I have another 1.5k or so that need doing (as soon as the dissertation is in!) I think if i'd just bought a model and built it I would be tempted to use it straight away un-painted but most of the time I much prefer having painted models!

Now you go!

N810
19-03-2008, 20:14
I'd be happy to play a game at all...
my only army is like 1/3 painted.

Heck I would play a game even if
you can proxyed 1/2 your army. :p

19-03-2008, 20:36
my armies are all painted. except 8 knight errents (just glued them together)

I would play anyone with any army painted proxied and such up to a point. If the same guy had the same list for over a year and never tried to paint or kept the proxies...I would stop

Ethlorien
19-03-2008, 20:41
I prefer playing with all painted armies (my DE and HE). But I'm a slow painter and I buy way too much, so as soon as they're all painted, I've got dozens more to field. I don't mind playing with people who's armies are unpainted; some people are just gamers and have no interest in painting. I'm fine with that.

Pelskwig
19-03-2008, 20:44
I used to only ever play with painted armies. In my mind it makes the game a lot better.

Now, I use some unpainted models (but ALWAYS undercoated at least) and no proxy. Proxy is ok maybe once or twice, but just go and buy the models ey. If you dont have the model, dont include it in your army.

My idea of acceptable is if, lets say you have a regular gaming night , Wednesday for me, that every wednesday, or at least every other wednesday, you have done something else to your army if it isnt finished, even if it's just a character, or 5 troops whatever.

PROGRESS IS THE WAY FORWARD.

This stops those games where everything is grey or black, forever, and ever.

The_Dragon_Rising
19-03-2008, 20:48
I try to paint my armies but i am a slow painter so it takes a while. I will play people with proxies, unpainted armies as i will do so myself.

GraemePaul
19-03-2008, 20:49
I refuse to play with unpainted models and fortunately as I have gotten older my painting style has developed to the point that I can generate well painted armies quite quickly.

Of course I also indulge in 10 hour per model layering sessions for the occasional special piece.

larabic
19-03-2008, 20:55
I play with painted models only, i will play people with unpainted armies but i will razz them for it. In a tourny I will give a zero to any one who shows up with an army that isn't fully painted or assembled. You go to tourny's to see and play the best around, not the guy who learned last week how to play and has a night strike primed force, nothing gets my goat more then that.

DontMessWithHashut
19-03-2008, 21:15
I don't mind unpainted armies, but proxies have a limit. If you are a new player and do not own your whole army yet, then thats fine, as long as there is progression, (ie: less paper bases every week.) But I am not too strict about that, as long as the game is fun, thats all.

Bretonnian Lord
19-03-2008, 21:20
I've got 1 unpainted Knight Errant and 5 unpainted Warp Spiders. Other than that all my models are painted.

Adrian Leverkühn
19-03-2008, 23:04
In the beginning I played very competitively and there were lots of proxies/unpainted models thrown in there... the painted model was the exception in my group. However with time I tend to game less and paint a lot more, so now I have a pretty nice-looking 2500+ beastman warband all painted up that hasn't go to war for a couple of years!!

Sometimes I admit I play against myself, though. Pretty enjoyable friday nights.

theunwantedbeing
19-03-2008, 23:06
Nothing in my army is proxied...well barring my bolt thrower crew I guess....
It's all at least undercoated :P
I get very bored very quickly when painting my stuff and I havent a clue how I want them to actually look either.

marv335
19-03-2008, 23:12
I prefer painted armies. two well painted armies facing each other across a table with decent terrain just looks good.
I try to make progress with my army every week.

Mireadur
19-03-2008, 23:35
from the around 16000 points in diff armies got painted around 5000 only.

I dont mind playing non painted as my speed and time are quite limited.

SilentTempest
19-03-2008, 23:54
My gaming buddy and I unfortunately don't get much time to indulge in our hobby these days, between work, wife, girlfriend (he's got a wife, I've got a girlfriend, in case that confused anyone :P), sport and other bits and pieces. We're lucky to get an afternoon to play once every month. So painting happens SLOWLY. Neither of us have problems with unpainted or proxied models, although we certainly do PREFER complete painted models. We generally TRY to have made some progress each time we game, although as I said, we've got so little time that 1 Dryad given their base colour is considered progress :S

mattjgilbert
19-03-2008, 23:58
We (our club) never proxy and 99% or more of games will be all painted armies. Exceptions are when people just got something new and haven't had time to paint it and even then, they might actually put off using it until it's done.

It's just an unwritten rule we all seem to stick to.

Of course it means I have a HUGE pile of models I haven't played with yet! ;)

Peegore
20-03-2008, 00:09
For me, painted is the way to go. I do sometimes use models when at the base colour stage, but if I do, I at least gravel and flock the bases so from 4ft away they look presentable :)

If I buy say, a 2000pt army, I try and get 1000pts painted asap and use that. Then paint another 500pts and play a few 1500pt games, and so on until I get the whole lot done.

burad
20-03-2008, 00:15
I won't use anything unpainted. Of course, I'm not interested in tournaments either. I play with what I have. If that means I am missing something that would make it easier to win, so be it. One should learn to win with whatever one has to work with. If you don't own a Stank or a Waltar, figure out how to win without one. That's the best way to really learn tactics.

mrtn
20-03-2008, 00:29
I've got about 1500 points chaos painted, and that's increasing. I prefer painted armies, I'm more a painter than a general. ;)

larabic
20-03-2008, 00:30
Proxing is out of the question for me... short of the troop not existing, I hate it. Not to say i don't like people that get creative. I have a friend that uses dark elf executioners as sword masters in his high elf army.

sigur
20-03-2008, 00:37
I've got about 1500 points chaos painted, and that's increasing. I prefer painted armies, I'm more a painter than a general. ;)

Same here. Today I realized that it's been quite some time since I even worked out some army list or tactics ideas.:eyebrows:

If I'd play games (last game I had is about exactly a year ago), I'd prefer painted armies of course. If the armies aren't painted, you're not doing it properly. The armies I'd play are at least 90% painted.

tom1354788
20-03-2008, 03:43
I think the obvious answer here is that painted armies are always much better, not only in terms of aesthetics but appreciation and enjoyment of the game as well.

Saying that i dont have a problem playing against someone who does not have a completly painted army, as long as i can identify what each unit is (ie its stuck together) and preferably undercoated. (whats the diffrence between that and a truelly teribly painted army?)

I dont even mind people using proxy models, in fact i think this is a great idea to stop you spending a lot of money on a expensive unit that you may never use after realising you dont like how it plays. What i would say with this is that the models have to be suitable, and that its only 1 or 2 units, not a entire army as that can be very confusing to play against.

an example would be using empire miltia as zombies, which i think is fine, but if you were to use glade guard as zombies that would not be so good. (but i would still be ok with it)

i remember when i was a kid playing a game of 40k and using paintpots to represent gretchin, in the end i walked them into a firing line just to get them off the table!! I used a coke can as a dreadnaught as well and completly forgot about it, thinking it was a can of coke!! ahhh happy days!

Putty
20-03-2008, 04:00
I think the obvious answer here is that painted armies are always much better, not only in terms of aesthetics but appreciation and enjoyment of the game as well.

Saying that i dont have a problem playing against someone who does not have a completly painted army, as long as i can identify what each unit is (ie its stuck together) and preferably undercoated. (whats the diffrence between that and a truelly teribly painted army?)

I dont even mind people using proxy models, in fact i think this is a great idea to stop you spending a lot of money on a expensive unit that you may never use after realising you dont like how it plays. What i would say with this is that the models have to be suitable, and that its only 1 or 2 units, not a entire army as that can be very confusing to play against.

an example would be using empire miltia as zombies, which i think is fine, but if you were to use glade guard as zombies that would not be so good. (but i would still be ok with it)

i remember when i was a kid playing a game of 40k and using paintpots to represent gretchin, in the end i walked them into a firing line just to get them off the table!! I used a coke can as a dreadnaught as well and completly forgot about it, thinking it was a can of coke!! ahhh happy days!

i agree with you totally.

Warhammer needs to be played with give and take, maturity and lots of humor. It is alot about fun really.

Sometimes I and my friends curse and swear during the game, but we are also laughing very hard at the same time.

Anyways, personally, i don't mind proxies (as long as we make clear what they are from the beginning) or unpainted models. I'm ok with that because not everybody has the time to paint up a 2.5k army. Perhaps I can relate to that because my armies are about only 60% painted.

The only incentive i can relate to is seeing your painted units marching across the field to clobber the other unit senseless (or so I hope). It can be also sad sometimes to watch said nicely painted unit (these things take hundreds of hours to finish) die happily (?) to some random effect or missile fire.

Painted armies are cool to play and watch, it gives you a grand feel of the game, but if its not all painted, its fine too and that drives us to try and finish painting up the army to witness that grand battle feeling, no? ;)

pkain762
20-03-2008, 04:50
I will not play a single model untill it is painted..... i will play a model that does not have it's base modeled yet. but yeah.... i refuse to play a model that isn't put together.

i will play an opponent that doesn't have a painted army though... i just make sure that my army is put together and looking nice before i start playing with them

kain

Alathir
20-03-2008, 05:09
I don't care if your army is entirely unpainted and any amount of proxying is fine with me, helps decide whether getting the model is actually worth it.

Of course, I still much prefer playing painted armies but I'm not going to get all holier than thou just because my opponent hasn't found the time.

Angelwing
20-03-2008, 05:10
All four of my fantasy armies are painted, with the exception of a couple of new VC models I've bought. I won't use them until I've painted them though.

Drogmir
20-03-2008, 05:28
I try to get my army painted. If I have to play, I at least Prime them.

Mercules
20-03-2008, 15:07
While I like to paint and mod models and was doing so before I ever touched a Warhammer figure, I find Warhammer to be an expensive hobby. Therefore I would be perfectly happy to play an all paper army if it gives me a person to play against. A painted army is so visually striking that I would vastly prefer to play with and against one, but I have to afford all my particular pieces before I have a fully painted army.

Lorcryst
20-03-2008, 15:14
Well, of course painted is always better, but ...

I started collecting GW minis 16 years ago, because I like them, but I didn't play at the time, so I only painted a couple to use in some RPG games ...

About a year ago, a group of my friends decided to start playing WFB, I finally had opponents, and a good reason to start painting the several hundreds of models stored in my drawers over the past decade ...

And that's when I learned that I'm a rather slow painter ... after a year of painting (about 4 hours a week, I also have RL commitments), I have 200 Night Goblins finished, almost my full 2K army list.

But I still use some proxies sometimes, because I want to "field-test" an unit before buying it (tight budget here), so I'll sometimes have some grey, plastic dwarves or empire handgunners proxying for a couple of Squig Herds in my horde of green gobboes ... I do try to avoid those expedients, tough, as are my gaming buddies, but it takes time, cash, patience and good eyes to have a fully painted army, so I can understand some proxies or unpainted models.

But there's a limit : sheets of paper of roughly the dimensions of the unit with something scrabbled on it to differentiate them from the other sheets of paper on the table is not acceptable ... and yes, I've seen that.

Mercules
20-03-2008, 17:26
But there's a limit : sheets of paper of roughly the dimensions of the unit with something scrabbled on it to differentiate them from the other sheets of paper on the table is not acceptable ... and yes, I've seen that.

What about various colored pieces of cardstock cut to the exact dimensions of the base of the proper model with details that would be apparent for WYSIWYG and either a rough sketch of the appropriate model or at the very least something denoting frontage?

While my proxy pieces are slowly vanishing, that is what I am using for now. I finally get to toss out the Yhetee pieces as I have them bought and assembled if not yet painted(thank you E-bay). All but one character, a Butcher modified from an Ogre Bull, are still paper as I am slowly purchasing them. Justify spending $40 on ONE figure to your fiance and try not to get "the Look".

Necromancer2
20-03-2008, 17:31
I've haven't painted a single army (only certain figs) since 1999. Of course I haven't played in years (just want to get back and I moved). But I'm like most.. The game is better with painted figs... but ok to play with not all painted.

Urgat
20-03-2008, 17:35
Well, i try and paint the thing I play, but sometimes, you think you're almost done and hop! you get a starter box with 70 more gobs, and well, after a while, you're a bit tired with painting them, and they're still not done. So I'll use the painted ones first, but if I need more, I'll take the (primed but) not painted ones. One can only do so much when he has other wrries in his life than having his 5k or so of gobs painted...

Grom Wronghand
20-03-2008, 18:30
I've got a fully painted (not very well mind) 3000 point Ogre force and a 1/2 painted dwarf army of about 1500 points.

LordBadgash
20-03-2008, 19:02
I never play with unpainted models and will wait till they are painted to use them.

It looks so much better and makes the games much more satisfying.

I have 4,000 painted Orcs and Gobbos
2250 painted high elves
2000 pained tomb kings (working on skeleton cavalry right now!)

Lorcryst
20-03-2008, 19:24
What about various colored pieces of cardstock cut to the exact dimensions of the base of the proper model with details that would be apparent for WYSIWYG and either a rough sketch of the appropriate model or at the very least something denoting frontage?

Well, at least you're making a serious effort, and it's only a temporary solution, so that's fine by me.

I too have financial issues, but since I've been collecting a lot of models from various range, I can use some bits of plastic/metal for my (slowly dwindling) proxies ...

The guy I wrote about used those pieces of paper for almost a year, without even trying to buy some real models, or paint the few that he actually had. And his whole "army" was pieces of paper, not a single mini in sight.

He didn't stop using them, we stopped playing with him.

Neo799
20-03-2008, 19:38
Put me down in the painted army camp. I have played a bit with unpainted models, but I really like the look of fully painted armies and make an effort to eventually paint everything I've bought.

Seeing someone with a mostly unpainted army can be annoying if they have been playing for a while and no painting progress is obvious. "Paint your models lazy *****!"

Mercules
20-03-2008, 19:51
Well, I could put together an entire Wood Elf army with old Mageknight figures(Wow did Wizkids kill their own profits) on the proper bases(I have actually figured out which ones would work for what). Then I would at least have a full army of figures. :D

I play Ogres though and I'm a bit picky. For example I am looking for the LE Tyrant/Bruiser figure that came with the armybox(or an unopened armybox) but I'm on a budget. Sooooo... I'll have to settle for a different figure till I find it on the cheap. Even so I'd rather have my "proxy" be an actual figure until I get the one I want. He is going to actually be a Maneater since I intend to use one or two with Brace of Handguns.

If I was picky about playing armies that are proxied, I'd never play, so I can't really be picky even if I wanted to. One of my friends owns most of his army but is still playing with paper as he is modding the whole thing into a Christmas theme army. The night Goblin's hats are all turning into "Santa Caps", his Shaman is holding a gigantic candy cane for a staff, many of his shields with be Christmas wreaths and guess what his chariot in his army is? :) He even has snowy pine tree woods to use as terrain and one of them has little lights in it. I don't expect him to unveil his army until he is done, which should be about Christmas time so I don't care if he proxies it till then. :)(I got sneak peeks at it though)

I'm wondering if his Fanatics are drunk off Egg Nog?

snyggejygge
20-03-2008, 20:47
About 1/3 of my main army is painted, & half of my second army, I only use painted models, but that isnīt a problem since I can still easily field 5K Chaos (main army) w.out going character heavy & I have 2250 pt finished VC (my old tournament army), will need to paint a few new models for my new list. I seem to collect way more models than i really need for my games, itīs even worse considering Iīm a slow painter (been playing for 13 years & still only have about 8K worth of painted models, thatīs a lot less than 1000 points per year...)

moose
20-03-2008, 21:10
I now have about 3.5k of Skaven painted - it's kind of a long term thing as my collection is quite huge. Just managed to base, paint, ink and highlight 30 plaguemonks in 3 hours. Doing one part on every model at a time saves so much time washing brushes and finding paint pots!

All my 40k is painted, and I have 9 tomb kings chariots to paint which are very annoying.

It's nice to face painted armies, it makes everything that little bit cooler when playing. Especially seeing my horde armies painted. Although if anyone wanted to use based models i'd be fine with it. Also I like being able to use proxy (for 1/2 games) - I wouldn't have bought 25 tomb guard until I saw first hand how useful they were.

Moose.