PDA

View Full Version : Which Chaos army to choose?

Drakon
20-03-2008, 00:50
Im looking at getting a chaos army but unsure what to choose.

I like the fallen for the sentimental value of my brother having DA and i can also mix them with my IG so they would be misleading the IG.

The other army is Death gaurd i like these as i like the typhos he looks cool and i would base an army of one model :p, but im not a "pro painter" so nurgle seems a little to hard to paint right now.

Then theres the World Eaters, full carnage sounds good and i do like CC which they would rock in.

And there theres the Alpha legion which i dont know too much about but i should have the book in a couple of days so im going to find out :).

What is everyones take on these armies such as the pros and cons.

I thought about making a similar armie to the black legion, undivided by thought that thats just cheating and a little lame for me.

Im asking because i was just in GW getting some paints and almost brought me a deamon prince and chaos lord without knowing which army im after.

Blarp
20-03-2008, 00:55
Well, with the new codex, the only way you can make a death guard or world eaters army is to give everything icons of nurgle/khorne, and that's not a true sublist. Also, there is no way to make an alpha legion army anymore.

Sucks, huh?

Eetion
20-03-2008, 00:57
What would you like to know about Alpha Legion....
Anything you need to know i will answer.

But in short, were the most mysterious of legions, tacticly brilliant, and extermely manipulative.
You want frothing psychopaths or demented killers then AL arnt for you.... if you want cold and fiercely intelligent marines acting covertly then AL are for you.

True you cant make us with the dex anymore.... but its easy enough to play to the spirit of the legion and the colour scheme is ace as well.

Drakon
20-03-2008, 00:59
Well, with the new codex, the only way you can make a death guard or world eaters army is to give everything icons of nurgle/khorne, and that's not a true sublist. Also, there is no way to make an alpha legion army anymore.

Sucks, huh?

But thats what i want is something fully dedicated to one chaos god. I know it would be easier to have undived and have all icons for there desired roles but it just feels like cheating to me.

Why do you say there is no way to make an alpha legion anymore?

Drakon
20-03-2008, 01:03
[QUOTE=Eetion;2453084]What would you like to know about Alpha Legion....
Anything you need to know i will answer.

But in short, were the most mysterious of legions, tacticly brilliant, and extermely manipulative.
You want frothing psychopaths or demented killers then AL arnt for you.... if you want cold and fiercely intelligent marines acting covertly then AL are for you.
QUOTE]

Thanks but im going to wait to read the book ive avoided all the teaser threads about the book.

Im unsure of what im after right now just wanted to get a feel of how others do with these and what the strenghts and weaknesses are.

I do like a savage army which is why i was thinking World Eaters but ive got wolves who are good in CC so i dont want to get an army that ill just end up playing the same that would just be boring. I might aswell extend my wolfs.

:eek: i guess WE just dropped down the list

Arryn
20-03-2008, 01:04
I say Alpha Legion as well. Eetion is right in that while they don't have their own rule-set you can still create an army list in the spirit of the Legion. Plus i reckon they would be pretty unique...

Drakon
20-03-2008, 01:06
so alpha are more like undivided then?

Eetion
20-03-2008, 01:06
As in all the undivided Legions dont have rule sets any more. Unless you want a big 4 then your stuck, and even they got their wings clipped.

Theres still plenty say about the AL thats not in Legion.... I can give you the run down without going in to the book at all.

Ravenheart
20-03-2008, 01:09
Why do you say there is no way to make an alpha legion anymore?

Because there are no special rules, of course!

Didn't you know? Paintsheme doesn't matter, background doesn't matter, army compostition doesn't matter nor do conversions; if there are no special rules it can't be Alpha Legion!

/sarcasm

Sarcasm aside, it's perfectly possible.
To staying true to the background, a focus on infiltrating chosen squads and maybe some fast attack forces. Little heavy units or tanks. And fewer deamons because they operate outside the eye, where deamons have little power to sustain themselves.
Also I wouldn't go to heavy on cult troops.

As for your original question. I'd say Death Guard.
The Plaguemarines are quite differen from most other marines. Slower but more resilent. And many optinons. Pluts they fun to convert and paint.

smokingmonkee
20-03-2008, 01:15
Personally I'm a fan of the Word Bearers.

Eetion
20-03-2008, 01:17
Thats a little harsh with the sarcasm isnt it ravenheart. Especially when Drakon was referring to Blaarp and asking why he couldnt make it.

Ravenheart
20-03-2008, 01:24
Thats a little harsh with the sarcasm isnt it ravenheart. Especially when Drakon was referring to Blaarp and asking why he couldnt make it.

There were no ill feelings against Drakon involved, it wasn't even aimed at him at all.

Just some good fun about the good old, Chaos-yay-nay-debate.

PondaNagura
20-03-2008, 01:25
personally i'd say death guard, or other nurgle affiliates. that increase to Toughness, can take the brunt of most attacks dished out, and now that they can be mounted in cheaper rhinos they can actually get into an effective range.

aside from that it's near impossible to make the original cultist-heavy alpha legion lists. mostly marines these days. though my friend uses his old cultists as the generic daemons (the summoning is attributed to them slinking around the field as a pseudo-infiltration) though he's still upset about losing all those lasgun shots.

Drakon
20-03-2008, 01:36
There were no ill feelings against Drakon involved, it wasn't even aimed at him at all.

No hard feelings taken :cries:

personally i'd say death guard, or other nurgle affiliates. that increase to Toughness, can take the brunt of most attacks dished out, and now that they can be mounted in cheaper rhinos they can actually get into an effective range.

aside from that it's near impossible to make the original cultist-heavy alpha legion lists. mostly marines these days. though my friend uses his old cultists as the generic daemons (the summoning is attributed to them slinking around the field as a pseudo-infiltration) though he's still upset about losing all those lasgun shots.

I think the nurgle prince would look phat screaming down the battlefield, maybe not how id paint it but, someone else would look phat.

Ive noticed noone seems to care about the fallen does noone like these or is it because alot of people say they arent really chaos?

wilsonian
20-03-2008, 01:36
I can't really answer this as I've got armies of Nurgle, Khorne, Black Legion and a Mixed GT style list.

I think it depends on your style of play. If you like running/ driving over the battle field to the enemy then Khorne however if you want to fail your armour save then roll for FNP and pass it and see the looks on the mates faces as a wave of T5 marines come over the hill is funny!

Painting plague marines are really easy I think. I've come up with a way of dry brushing the whole model with different shades of green. The pic below shows my WIP pics with my plague marines. The pic under that shows my berzekers before they had a blood red highlight. I don't claim I'm a good painter but I think for table top quality they look good.

The only reason I have so many armies (8k's worth in pts) is the codex is so flexable. I'd say Nurgle as I too love Typhus and have seen him in action (he rips through eldar/tau troops!)
Plague marines
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/wilsonian/PlagueMarineSquad1.jpg
Khorne Berzerkers
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/wilsonian/KhorneSquad1.jpg

toymaker
20-03-2008, 01:37
Death Guard, because I'm sentimental like that

Drakon
20-03-2008, 02:12
Im starting to lean towards death gaurd as what you guys are saying with the conversions and the lord of rot is my type of chaos.

Question then, if i choose nurgle then can i take a deamon prince or is that my lord of rot the big green blob dude. or is the deamon prince a lil different

KeeganKatastrofee
20-03-2008, 02:21
To learn about the alpha legion, go here:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Alpha_Legion_Forums/index.php?act=site

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Legion

Pitalla Crimson
20-03-2008, 02:29
Since there arent official rules for Alpha Legion, I represent them as Tzeenchian Pupeteers manipulating Khorne Puppets.

Thats wath I do now tought and is very fun.

Vaktathi
20-03-2008, 02:33
With the current codex, I'd say go with the Night Lords, toss in tons of raptors with a couple deep striking terminator squads and you've got it done :D

Blarp
20-03-2008, 02:35

Of course. Besides, what I was saying was that you cannot make an official Alpha Legion army. You can still make an Alpha Legion-themed "Chaos Space Marines" army, but there are no longer actual Alpha Legion rules.

Drakon
20-03-2008, 02:55
With the current codex, I'd say go with the Night Lords, toss in tons of raptors with a couple deep striking terminator squads and you've got it done :D

who are these guys anyway i had never heard of them until i was reading the HH but not much has been said about them so far.

Do yo uhave a link for info on them?

Vaktathi
20-03-2008, 03:04
who are these guys anyway i had never heard of them until i was reading the HH but not much has been said about them so far.

Do yo uhave a link for info on them?

They are one of the original Space Marine Legions, they are renowned for using fear and brutality as weapons as much as their bolters, originally to achieve peace and unification under the Emperor through fear and awe, but later just because they get off on it. They typically use lots of Raptors, bikers and deep striking terminators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Lords

Drakon
20-03-2008, 03:09
They are one of the original Space Marine Legions, they are renowned for using fear and brutality as weapons as much as their bolters, originally to achieve peace and unification under the Emperor through fear and awe, but later just because they get off on it. They typically use lots of Raptors, bikers and deep striking terminators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Lords

Not a fan of bikes but you have me with the raptors and Deep striking termies. Raptors are cool i take it some armies and know not to uses these squads.

And using fear...i like that might have to cheek these guys out.

This is the problem that there are so many different ones that its hard to choose as there are also the iron warriors too who sound cool as they are heavy machines which is a lil diff to my current ones.

Dam it wish i could get armies of them all. But then you can also make you own custom one too.:eyebrows:

HellChyld
20-03-2008, 10:20
For all your Nightlord Needs or Wants join the sons of the Haunter at http://z13.invisionfree.com/Nightlords/index.php?act=idx

for an army diversity to your needs its easily one of them. some play nightlords and cult lead LotD forces. others play raptor heavy armies and even one or two play demonic supported bolter shooting thugs. which ever your feeling like using I'm sure my fellow breathren of the Nightlords can help answer your questions