PDA

View Full Version : Its time for a poll

Baggers
20-03-2008, 09:19
So out of idle curiosity I was wondering how do people play LOTR. Is it with the scenarios or with points match using the Legions rules.

Leviro
20-03-2008, 10:54
Most of the time i just mess around with a friend, using all of our miniatures in a massive battle, but sometimes we play Legions

rodmillard
20-03-2008, 13:21
I like legions - in fact I play more points match LotR than 40K these days. But, that said, I got into the game for the scenario play, and I very much doubt that you will find anyone who doesn't enjoy that aspect of the game. I predict the results of the poll will be split between the first and third options, with few if any people playing solely LoME

[edit] I could also have gone for option 4, as I still play a lot of battle companies campaign games...

IronBrother
20-03-2008, 16:52
The scenarios make it a good fun game, and having equal points really help you with game balance. Also, it can change the game when you tie on priority roll and all models on a hill are knocked to the ground.

lorelorn
20-03-2008, 23:17
Er... points match scenarios using legions? I selected all of the above.

The most recent thing I did was do the random scenarios from Legions, using 500 point lists. Next month I'll be doing the same except with 750 points lists.

macharian_mike
20-03-2008, 23:43
We play every Tuesday and our local GW store hosts a tournament every 2-3 months plus I am able to play once in a while at the store, so playing either one would get boring if that's all that happened. I really like the scenario's and it helps motivate me to paint and build scenery as well.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
21-03-2008, 22:22
depends i'm just about to start a fellowship campaign from thye start right to the end it's gonna be awesome but legions is what i play mostly

Lord Gordonis
22-03-2008, 00:50
I play lots of points matches using the legions book. I find that the legions book is very useful for building up a proper themed army for both good and evil I think.

LG

Dragon Prince of Caledor
22-03-2008, 05:59
I dont like pitched battles in lotr. I play warhammer for that!:) I like playing lotr that fits the storylines.

LuciusAR
22-03-2008, 14:10
Scenarios all the way for me. Even when playing a points match with the legion list I will not play a pitched battle but will opt for one of the back of the book scenarios from the one rulebook or one of the supplements. If Iím in the mood for a Pitched battle Iíll play WFB or Warmaster which are far more suited for pitched battle type games.

Intrepid Adventurer
23-03-2008, 09:21
We usually just play what we feel like, so points matches and scenario's.

Necron god
25-03-2008, 16:44
we just normally play points.....................:cheese:

Eryx_UK
26-03-2008, 00:13
I haven't started yet, but I'm hoping to just play battles rather than play the specific scenarios.

battle captain corpus
26-03-2008, 16:59
I always play scenarios. I find them to be the most rewarding game wise and also I rarely get to play LOTR nowadays anyway I liek to respect that someone went to all the trouble of writing them anyway! Hahahaha!

Guard Of The Citadel
26-03-2008, 21:19
When I play at my local GW we play using scenarios and points, we usually do either 250 or 500 points per person, depends how many people show up

Adyger
27-03-2008, 15:26
My friends and I have pretty ecclectic collections, so pretty much anything goes. We do regularly run scenerios, but we seem to really like the wierd evil vs. evil ones (tower of Cirith Ungil or whatever it is called). We also sometimes make up scenerios. When the giant spider models came out I was thrilled to create the part of the hobbit where Bilbo tries to rescue the dwarves from the Mirkwood spiders in the hobbit. But we also sometimes just play points games where anything goes (last night for example, we ended up running a what if battle where the forces of Isenguard attacked the white city)--it was a little wierd seeing the white hand at Gondor's door, but it was a fun battle!

Apple Dave
27-03-2008, 23:54
Points mostly, but my rulebook collection has yet to be updated so we don't have the Legions book. Once or twice we have played a scenario, of our own devising, at our club which worked well and was great fun (a simple capture and hold mission).

Next time we head up to our local club to play I hope to snag the table with a river feature for some bridge control matches and just out to see weather my Uruks have learnt to swim yet. Their last river swim saw all but 7 (out of 30) drown and those that survived (The Magnificent 7 as I called them) were cut down on the banks.