PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy armies questions

ReclecteR
20-03-2008, 13:35
Hey, so since most of the people at my local club play fantasy, and I currently only have 40K armies, I was thinking about getting an army to play fairly regularly with.
Now, I just have a few questions before i plan on buying anything.
I was thinking about dwarfs, but after proxying a few games, I decided i didnt like the staticness of the army. My 40K armies are Tyranids and Grey Knights, so i prefer to outmaneuvre my opponents.
My focus then changed to a faster, more CC oriented army.
Also, since i dont have much of a budget, i would prefer an army that doesnt cost too much to play at around 2000-2500 pts level (and at tournaments). I was thinking Bretttonians, possibly an all mounted army. I dont know much about the points cost of basic troops, or even roughly how much a tournament competitive army would cost, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out?
So in summary,
1. An army that doesnt cost too much to make (preferably bretts, if possible?)
2. A somewhat small model count (dont like painting horde armies)
3. Is tournament competitive
4. Requires more tactics than just run and scream at the enemy
5. Decent in CC
6. Cool (:cool:), and has modelling opportunties

Thanks to anyone with any insight :)

Necromancer2
20-03-2008, 14:13
Bret all mounted army.. runs and screams at the enemy! ;)
No.. there's lots of things to do to set up your charges. get some archers some yeomen and then knights knights knights. For modeling capabilities.. model your paladins and lord.

The next option would be Chaos.. plenty of modeling and needs tactics (plus they have the smallest possible modelcount)

Third would be High Elves.

ReclecteR
21-03-2008, 05:26
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've been trying to get the Warhammer Fantasy Armies Overview thread to work, but every time i try to open it, the page can't be found.
Does anyone know what has happened to this?
Thanks

Dux Ducis
21-03-2008, 05:41
Mounted Empire army. Or mostly mounted + skirmishers and the odd hundguners unit.

The Phat Dorf
21-03-2008, 06:01
what about ogre kingdom, bound to have low model count, unless gnoblars is a must for it to work?

Dux Ducis
21-03-2008, 06:47
IMO every OK army should have at least 2 units of gnoblars.

Eisenhorn
21-03-2008, 12:32
you can also have a mounted Wood elves army. with glade riders, wild riders, great eagles, dryad skirmishers, as well as alter nobels.

some pros and cons

+ Super Fast (18' movement are only beaten by flyers)
+ no penalty for moving and shooting
+ move through forest
+ move forest
+ Tree spirits
+/- Hits hard in first turn of combat not so good after that
+/- Low model counte good from a mony perspective, bad from a gamer perspectiv
- Elves t3 and no armour (some unites do have ward saves)
- most unites are to expencive for ranks

fubukii
21-03-2008, 12:50
Wood elves, brets, High elves, And mounted chaos armies seem like your best bet.

The high elf army would be a pricey one on the budget so would the chaos so id suggest going with brets as they probably would be the cheapest