PDA

View Full Version : Vamp Army relying on hitting power

vorac
20-03-2008, 18:07
Vampire Lord Lvl 3 Mounted on a Hellsteed =470
Vampiric powers (RedFury,Infinite Hatred,Dread Knight)
Magic Items (Enchanted shield,Book of Arkhan,Crown of the Damned)

Vampire BSB =220
Vampiric Powers (Dark Acolyte,Summon creatures of the Night)
Magic Items (Flayed Hauberk,Sword of Battle,Talisman of Lycni)

Vampire = 190
Vampiric Powers (Dark Acolyte,Lord of the Dead)
Magic Items (Power Stone,Dispel scroll)

Core:
Skeletons x14 (banner)=120
Zombies x20 =80
Zombies x20 =80
Dire Wolves x5 =40

Specials:
Spirit Host x3 =195
Fell Bats x4 =80

Rares:
Blood Knights x5 (Kastallan,Standard Bearer,Royal Standard of Stigos)=350
Varghulf =175

Total :2000

heinrichvoncarstein
20-03-2008, 23:01
I wouldn't mount the general on a hellsteed as then he can be easily picked out. If you really want him having a flying mount i would much rather get an abyssal terror which actually performs a lot better than a hellsteed

Dranthar
21-03-2008, 11:01
^^Speaking of which, from what you've taken you're basically paying the points for dreadknight to get heavy armour and a shield - I think you can do better than that.

Personally I'd go for;

Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, (???)
Balefire Spike, Enchanted Shield, Cadaverous Cuirass, Crown of the Damned, Power stone

It's less points and frees up the opportunity for another bloodline power. The only problem is that you lose the book of Arkhan, which I guess would have to move to someone else...somehow.

Oh, and I don't like the Summon Creatures of the Night ability myself - raising one model/wound per casting just feels painfully inefficient.

Von Wibble
21-03-2008, 12:37
Wrong on SCOTN - bats count as infantry on the back of the book so D6 wounds not 1.

Also I thought a Hellsteed was US2 so couldnt be targetted. Abyssal Terror is possibly the worst mount in the game ( just compare to a griffon to see why).

Its a very small army, mainly due to those blood knights. Personally I'd have wight cav instead and some fell bats/bat swarms/dire wolves to assist with speed. But as a High Elf player I don't rate Blood Knights - when they aren't hunting eagles they spend their time charging swordmasters and being wiped out before getting to strike...

Saben
22-03-2008, 00:14
Balefire Spike, Enchanted Shield, Cadaverous Cuirass, Crown of the Damned, Power stone

How do you plan on taking 2 pieces of Magic Armour? You can't take the Enchanted Shield AND Cadaverous Cuirass.

Another option to save 5 points is to take Avatar of Death. You get your heavy armour and shield that way.

heinrichvoncarstein
22-03-2008, 10:47
Also I thought a Hellsteed was US2 so couldnt be targetted. Abyssal Terror is ...

Which rule are you referring to? where does this say in the brb?

koningswulf
22-03-2008, 11:05
It clearly says so in the rulebook page 121 under magic armour that a charcter cannot have a suit of magical armour and carry a magical shield.
Basicly you can never have more than 1 magical item that provides ac but you might combine it with mundane armour.

Dranthar
22-03-2008, 11:12
Ah okay, my mistake.

I was about to suggest the flayed Haulberk but the hero-level vampire has it. Oh well. :rolleyes:

In any case, Avatar of death would save you 5 pts.

vorac
29-03-2008, 16:59
Avatar of death would save me 5 pts. but so far this is the only way i can find to have a lord with a 1+ save, 4+ ward and the book of Arkhan

Von Wibble
29-03-2008, 18:16
Which rule are you referring to? where does this say in the brb?

Only models of US of 5 or more can be targetted when in a unit. Surely the vampire is with the fell bats?? Must admit I misread the abyssal terror's pv at first, thinking it was 175. At 135 its a bit more reasonable an option.

heinrichvoncarstein
29-03-2008, 21:37
btw, a character on a flying mount can not join any units if you didn't know!!!

vorac
30-03-2008, 04:17
my plan is to have the Lord follow behind the Bloodknights and Direwolves, since he isn't a large target he is easier to hide and being on a 1 wound mount he can never have it shot out from under him unlike my Dark Elf noble who always spends half the game on foot.

The basic idea is to place the Zombies and skeletons in 1 corner with the mage vamp and have the BK's, Valghulf, Lord, Direwolves, and Spirit hosts run up the other. Basically the Skeletons and zombies are compulsory choices that i don't want and don't care about but who could become a real pain if they are ignored .