PDA

View Full Version : Redemption

Luthien
20-03-2008, 23:31
I wonder is it possible for a Dark Eldar to see the folly of his or her ways and live a more craftworlder existance. i don't mean that they fully embrace the path, that would be impossible and intolerable to them. what i mean is can a "Redeemed" dark eldar exist upon the fringes of eldar society in a similar way to rangers if he or she abandons some of the more unholsome aspects of DE existance. I imagine they would always be seen as a loose cannon and would never be fully trusted but is it possible.

Lancer
20-03-2008, 23:54
No, it's not possible. The Dark Eldar are pretty much inescapably trapped on their path from birth, because to stop capturing, torturing, and consuming the souls of others would mean that their own souls would be consumed by Slannesh and their bodies would be reduced to a withered, lifeless husk.

The only way for them to possibly free themselves from Slannesh would be to give themselves to Cegorach, the Laughing God, but that requires a soul-binding ritual and so cannot be unilaterally declared.

Khaine's Messenger
21-03-2008, 02:00
I wonder is it possible for a Dark Eldar to see the folly of his or her ways and live a more craftworlder existance.

It might be possible to adopt a lifestyle and some sort of support rig that would mimic that approach to existence, but there's really no telling what sort of feelings he would have once he stops indulging in activities that muck about with souls as much as DE torture techniques do. It might be torturous until he learned to live with it, like a junkie crashing on the worst drugs ever, until, as Lancer put it, he's little more than a hollow husk.

And I don't think craftworlds would ever trust him, not because of his personality, but because of the wounds on his soul. Exodites and colony worlds might give him succor as long as he's willing to work. It would be debatable whether he would be allowed to join with the World Spirit, though...the wounds may be too severe and too inviting towards the wrong warp-entities. And if the Eldar knew how to "heal" that affliction with reasonable success, they probably wouldn't be in the situation they're in....

Iracundus
21-03-2008, 09:41
While Eldar on the Path of the Outcast may fall to temptation and their darker passions, drifting to Commoragh and the Dark Eldar lifestyle as detailed in the Eldar Codex, I don't think know of any defection in the other direction. I don't see the Exodites and Craftworlders accepting a Dark Eldar even if they're sincere about changing, as their memories and experiences of Comorragh may taint the Infinity Circuits. However, they might be able to become an Outcast. The key point is whether the Thirst's an inherent curse on the Dark Eldar that can never be escaped (meaning they would die if they tried to be normal Outcasts) or whether a sufficiently restrained mindset weakens the hold of the Thirst.

Iuris
21-03-2008, 10:26
I remember a nice full page eldar runestone that showed the whole eldar race, from Craftworlders to Dark eldar and Harlequins. Translated incompletely by some sisters, so you got "rune implies concepts X, Y and Z".

The whole thing suggested that Eldar can change - like a craftworlder could "fall" and join first the outcasts and then the Dark Eldar, the opposite could be true.