PDA

View Full Version : Which army should I play?

IronBrother
21-03-2008, 01:37
I have a 500 point Tourney coming up this week. And I am wondering which army you all think I should play as I can not decide. Fortunately they are both fully painted and based, so that can not be used to weed them out.

Mirkwood Elven Force
Thranduil
Legolas with elven cloak

31 Wood Elves (8 elven blades, 15 wood elf spears, 8 bows)
2 Sentinels

Mahud Force

Mahud King, camel, war spear, shield
Mahud King, shield

5 Mahud Raiders, 5 war spears
12 Mahud Warriors, 8 spears
4 Half Trolls

lorelorn
21-03-2008, 04:52
Mirkwood - I voted for the army I would choose if faced with the same options.

IronBrother
21-03-2008, 05:10
Can you give any reason why?

lorelorn
21-03-2008, 08:30
You know right after I posted I figured you would ask that - I got distracted ;) otherwise I would have posted sooner.

The Mirkwood army has, in my opinion, a far superior table presence. The Far Harad army gives the opponent a pretty clear targeting priority of which element to take out first, and it doesn't have the numbers to withstand a serious onslaught.

In contrast the Mirkwood army can deal serious damage at a distance, use wooded terrain very well, and has a high break point, so that a series of bad dice won't see your army break. Plus, when the Mirkwood army does break, the models are far more likely to stick around.

Against the varied army types you are likely to see on the tournament table, I would expect the Mirkwood army to perform better than the Far Harad. It's larger, more well-rounded with a variety of combat roles present, and gives you greater tactical options.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
21-03-2008, 22:17
Although mahud are good thier too much of a risk in Tourneys as someone could no how they work and tear the heart out your army (or a grey company army can just blast ten shades of dung out of you.) Mirkwood are slightly better though as they can hise in the trees and be sneaky Woodelves to win

IronBrother
21-03-2008, 22:30
So it looks like I'll be playing my Mirkwood at this point. I did here today that I am probably the first first person in the Seattle area with a fully painted Mahud force. But if I get to the Tourney and find that there are several Mirkwood players I may play my Mahud just for something different. Thanks to the 5 people that voted (I guess I hoped for more, oh well).

rodmillard
22-03-2008, 00:42
I didn't see this thread until after you posted that last comment ;)

However, I would agree with Dalamyr that Mahud on their own are too much of a risk for a tourney. As one element in a mixed force using different armies from the Harad book they would rock (assuming your tourney allows allies - I know some don't), but their weaknesses are too well known - especially after the Harad articles in WD.

Having said that, the newness of the force, and the fact that there can be very few people with armies painted to tournament standard, means that very few of your opponents will have had much experience against them. As a consequence of that, you are very unlikely to come up against players with armies and tactics ready to take them on.

It depends what you are going to the tourney for. If you desperately want to place well in the rankings, then I would go with the Mirkwood elves. On the other hand, if you are going for the social event and to enjoy the games then the Mahud will probably be more fun. It's up to you - I voted Mirkwood because that's what I'd do in your place, but there are very convincing arguments in favour of the Mahud...

Lord Gordonis
22-03-2008, 00:55
Its the same with mirkwood as well, they are a risk to take at a low point tourney personnally, I would take the mahud as its faster movement than mirkword, so that they can stuck in sooner rather than later.

LG

IronBrother
23-03-2008, 03:51
So, I ended up playing Mahud and did ok. I was asked by the two guys running the Tourney to play my Mahud as that they had never seen a fully painted Mahud force. That and when I said it was fully painted, he flat out called me a liar until I showed him. I managed a Minor Victory against Easterlings with Khamul (he used Khamul incorrectly the whole game, with me unaware), a Major Victory against Moria (most fun game of LoTR I have ever had), and Major Loss to Morgul Orcs - at least that's what I think it was (least fun game of LoTR I have ever played).

All in all it was a good tournament with a very high turnout. Also, much to my surprise there were at least 6 other players with really well painted forces (I got runner up in painting, the guy that won best painted had an amazing looking Numenorean force). I had many ooohs and ahhhs at my army, as I think it looks rather good on the table. Thanks for all the help though.

swordmaster1299
26-03-2008, 01:45
i voted Mahud just because they're sweet but if you want to win i would go with the Mirkwood force

battle captain corpus
26-03-2008, 13:04
Just for the record, where their any all cavalry armies there and how did they fair? :)

IronBrother
28-03-2008, 05:49
Other than myself, only two other players had cavalry (Easterling Cataphracts, Knights of Dol Amroth). But there were no full cavalry armies, but I can say there were at least five dwarf players (I was very surprised not to have played one). I am toying with a fully mounted Serpent Horde for my next force. But I may go for horde of Haradrim.