PDA

View Full Version : First go with Wood Elves 2k

Chosen_of_Abaddon
21-03-2008, 07:22
G'day all, this is my first go at a wood elves list. I'm not really fussed about winning or losing, but i'd like some opinions on how this would perform. The idea is that this is an all comers list. Cheers for any advice or comments.

Wood Elves - 1992pts
Characters
Spellweaver, Level 4, Wand of Wych Elm, Dispel Scroll 330pts
Branchwraith, Level 1, A Cluster of Radiants 140pts
Alter Noble, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrows, Light Armor, Shield, Great Weapon 158pts

Core
10 Glade Guard 120pts
10 Glade Guard 120pts
5 Glade Riders, Musician 129pts
8 Dryads, Branch Nymph 108pts (Branchwraith here)
8 Dryads 96pts

Special Units
6 Wild Riders, Musician 156pts
7 Wardancers 126pts
3 Treekin 195pts
3 Warhawk Riders 120pts

Rare Units
6 Waywatchers 144pts
Great Eagle 50pts

I was thinking of deploying a unit of Dyards, the Glade Riders and Wild Riders on one flank and have them support one another, the Glade Guard and in the middle and manvour them around to get full shots on the enemy, Treekin in the middle as an avil and the other Dyard unit with the Wardancers on the other flank. I'll probably deploy the Noble, Waywatchers, Warhawk Riders and Eagle depending on the terrain and how my enemy deploys.
My main concern with the list is protecting the spellweaver... but i've only got 8 points left so no ward save...
Feel free to tear it apart, i've only bought the battalion at this stage.
thanks in advance,
CoA

Da Black Gobbo
21-03-2008, 14:57
hi! i like your army is pretty standard but i'd change a couple of things, Full command for the Wild Riders and a Warbanner to make the hammer unit, remove the Nymph from the dryads, and that's it.

RavenBloodwind
21-03-2008, 15:57
Overall a solid army.

There are 2 schools of thought on the champions for dryads/wardancers. You've seen Da Black Gobbo's, let me counter with "keep the champion". I find that having someone to accept a challenge is never bad (alternatively you could give annoyance to the wraith but a champion is 13 points cheaper). Additionally, never underestimate the value of an extra attack, particularly for a unit which is unable to get any static CR.

Your specials seem a bit, well, scattered. You've essentially taken one of everything. This isn't terrible but seems a bit haphazard. I'd think maybe a pair of something (wild riders or treekin) would be in order.

As to what to do with your spare 8 points, if you replace the alter kindred's shield with the enchanted shield you should come to 2k on the dot and a 4+ save from shooting won't be a bad thing.

warhawk95
21-03-2008, 19:04
Hey this is a good list similar to what I use, I would also drop the champ and that will give you enough points to put your spellweaver on a horse.

You could also drop the treekin as they are slow compared to the rest of your list and get another wardancer or wildrider unit and beef up the warhawks.

Chosen_of_Abaddon
22-03-2008, 01:42
thanks for your comments everyone:)
@Da Black Gobbo
I was seriously thinking about FC and a warbanner for the wild riders, but i didn't have enough points. I'll definately keep it mind though.

@RavenBloodwind
yeah i agree with you on the dryad champion.
With the specials that was the idea, i thought take a bit of everything and see what works for me. At this stage im not very experienced, so i pretty much took what i had seen other people use with sucess and what looked good:).

@Warhawk
I did consider mouting the spellweaver but it turned out to be too many points.

I've been thinking about dropping the Treekin on the basis that if i used by charge baiting units cleverly that i could probably get away with not having an anvil. Any opinions here?

thanks again
CoA

warhawk95
22-03-2008, 02:39
the treekin could work in this army because they have the high S attacks and T, but on the other hand they are really slow, and compared to the rest of your army they are slow. My advice is leave them in try them out, they are excellent at taking knights charge or elite infantry. They could be used as you suggested, but serve better in the flank as they are one of the few units in the WE army that can remove ranks.

If you dont like the treekin I would drop them for some more WR or WD. As for the spellweaver, I suggested this so she could get in range for some spells, and because if she does need to get away from her unit or the woods then she is more likely to.

Chosen_of_Abaddon
22-03-2008, 06:18
sounds like a good idea there warhawk, i'll give em a go. The only thing i can think of dropping to get the spellsinger a steed is the musician from the GR unit and im not comftable with that, what do you guys think on that?
Cheers
CoA

warhawk95
22-03-2008, 11:45
If you drop the champ from the dryads you will have enough points.

Other than that the list looks good!

Chosen_of_Abaddon
22-03-2008, 12:19
alrighty i've made a few changes just for armies that dont contain any magic, a few Khornate and Dwarf armies in my area.

remove Spellweaver for:
Alter Highborn, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amaranthine Brooch, Great Weapon, Shield, Light Armor 287pts

Remove Branchwraith for:
Wardancer Noble, Blades of Loec 140pts

Drop Branch Nymph for Bladesinger

Add to the Wild Rider unit; Standard Bearer, Warbanner
Total 1994pts
any thoughts on that

oh and warhawk, i might give it a go with the Branch Nymph in and the spellweaver unmounted and change it as you suggested if it doesnt work.
thanks again
CoA

warhawk95
22-03-2008, 12:56
give the branch nymph a try.

the changes for non-magic armies is decent changes, just make sure those guys are protected against the dwarf guns.