PDA

View Full Version : Im hungry. 1000pts

Getifa Ubazza
21-03-2008, 10:37
Because of my work, i am unable to go to a club to play any games. So, my local GW staff, have kindly offered me some games with them, in a, get my fix when i can kinda way. What i need is an army that is quick to use and will give me and my opponent a fun game. Time is the killer here. Thats the reason ive made the choices ive made. Ive also no idea what i would be facing. Thank you.

1 Bruiser: extra hand weapon, heavy armour and a Fistful of Laurels 157pts

1 Butcher: bangstick, dispel scroll and 2 tooth gnoblers 190pts

3 Bulls: iron fists 120pts

3 Bulls: iron fists 120pts

4 Ironguts 192pts

2 Leadbelchers 110pts

2 Leadbelchers 110pts

Thats my 1000pt list. Please let me know what you think. I would also be interested in how you would expand this to 2000pts. One more thing. Should i attach my Bruiser to the Ironguts or use him on his own? Thanks.

Sterling
21-03-2008, 14:37
Okay, I am just passing thru here. You need to go to the Ogre Stronghold for advice... there aren't a lot of ogres here. However, I will break your stuff down real briefly.

Bruiser is pretty good.

bulls: these are bait/flanking/support units, not hammer units. ironfists and commanders are wasted points. Why pay 20 points for 1 attack when 35 points is 3 attacks and 3 wounds? really should pay 115 for a bull unit (3 + belower for the help rallying)

Ironguts: These are your hammers. I highly recommend multiple units of 3... at the very least, you need as many hammers as you have flank/support. Most experienced ogres go 1:1 hammer:support. see above for the commander explanation. You need to pay 144 for these guys (3 IGs with no upgrades)

Leadbelchers: again, bait/flank/support, not hammer. You also want to go with units of 2, not 3. 2 is thinner, easier to maneuver, and won't panic anyone after one dies (US becomes 3)... which they always do fairly quickly by either blowing themselves up or drawing fire from the Ironguts.

Getifa Ubazza
21-03-2008, 14:57
Ok i took out all the champions and added 2x20 Gnoblers. Whatcha think?

Mercules
21-03-2008, 15:05
Most people consider the Champion upgrades for Ogres to be a little expensive for 1 extra attack as they don't have any other stat upgrades attached to those points. You could trade you champions out for Bellowers(Musicians) which will help a lot if you end up fleeing and need to rally or choose to flee from a charge(sometimes a very good idea).

A lot of people tend to run Leadbelchers in units of only 2. Why? I believe because if you roll like me you will end up hurting them only slightly less than you hurt your opponent with them. They make great guards for the flanks though, keeping Fast Calvary at a distance since they have the potential to do a lot of damage. The nice thing about having them as only 2 with a Bellower is that unit is cheaper than Bulls, has the potential to move 6", fire 12" and throw a lot of lead the opponent's way, and so can be used as a bait and flee unit very easily. It is also US 6 if you get them into a position where they can flank. Also of note, with them only 2 wide you can wheel around to fire in different directions much easier, the shorter your frontage the less movement it takes to wheel.

Something very similar to what you have, but giving you another unit would be:

Bruiser @ 157
-GW -HvA - Fistful of Laurels

Bulls x3 @ 130
-IF -Bellower

Bulls x3 @ 130
-IF -Bellower

Bulls x3 @ 130
-IF -Bellower

Ironguts x4 @ 212
-Standard

Leadbelchers X2 @ 120
-Bellower

Leadbelchers X2 @ 120
-Bellower

999/1000 points only 2 Dispel and Casting dice though watch out for magic heavy lists and get them into CC as quickly as you can.

Your Bruiser has the same leadership as your Ironguts so I would be tempted to toss him into one of the Bulls units to give them some extra killing power. Also, when Ogres get 5 wide they seem, in my opinion, to get hard to wheel about and maneuver past terrain.

Murdoch
21-03-2008, 16:51
Where's your cooks? your boys are going to get awfully hungry without one!

Seriously, I would put a butcher in. Opportunity for 4 spells a turn all of which can buff your guys.

Other than that if you lost the ironfists and a unit of lead belchers then you could get another unit of Ironguts.... These guys are seriously good on the charge.

Why gnoblars? (not an actual question, just me lamenting their existence!)

Conotor
21-03-2008, 17:03
Nice, but id say a hunter should replace 3 belchers.

Getifa Ubazza
21-03-2008, 18:17
I took out the Gnoblers and replaced them with a Butcher. Any better?

Mercules
21-03-2008, 18:23
Where's your cooks? your boys are going to get awfully hungry without one!

Seriously, I would put a butcher in. Opportunity for 4 spells a turn all of which can buff your guys.

Other than that if you lost the ironfists and a unit of lead belchers then you could get another unit of Ironguts.... These guys are seriously good on the charge.

Why gnoblars? (not an actual question, just me lamenting their existence!)

While I would myself push for a Butcher he wants a fast easy game. No magic is going to make it that much faster. Personally, I love OK magic and butchers are tough enough to fight if it comes to it.

The Iron Fists are not a bad choice. 36 Str 4 attacks and 9 Str 6 or 18 Str 4 attacks and 18 Str 6. I find I have more issues hitting with my Ogres than I do with wounding. You still want some Ironguts around for high toughness things though. The extra hand weapon option is a point cheaper per Bull but frankly I'll pay the extra point for the nicer looking Iron Fist.

As for Gnoblars... They are cute and lovable and occasionally actually kill something and when they don't they have often disrupted or lured away a 100+ point unit for only 40-50 points. I've also managed to squeeze one of then into contact next to an Ogre unit so that only ONE enemy model can attack the Gnoblars and gained their Rank bonus for the CR. ;)

Mercules
21-03-2008, 18:28

Nice Butcher. Magical defense and the Bangstick for yet another thing for them to need to dispel. The buffs you can throw on your own units are wonderful and Bonecruncher and the Bangstick can cause some ranged damage for you. Don't forget that you can march and cast so you have an effect range on the Bangstick of 36", just fish out any dispel dice/scrolls you can first.

I don't find a whole lot of use for the Tooth Gnoblars although I could see them pushing the casting result up another +1 to make them choose to dispel with 2 dice instead of one, but a bit of a gamble.

Mercules
21-03-2008, 18:31
Nice, but id say a hunter should replace 3 belchers.

Hunters are a bit expensive for a moving Bolt Thrower with a detachable Fast Cav unit that isn't even US 5 when detached. He is better off with the Butcher he picked up instead. :)

Conotor
21-03-2008, 19:56

No, tahts a very bad idea. Knoblars own.

Mercules
21-03-2008, 20:40
No, tahts a very bad idea. Knoblars own.

No it isn't. At least a token magical defense in 1K is a very good idea.

Don't get me wrong I like Gnoblars but:
1. They Bicker
2. They don't normally kill anything
3. They are the only unit in the whole OK army list that moves <6"

They are good because they are so cheap and do not cause panic if they flee but that is about it.