PDA

View Full Version : Will you get the new rulbook when it comes out, or wait for the boxed set?

jason_sation
21-03-2008, 15:46
I got into this game through the Battle for Macragge boxed set, and to be honest I'm glad I went that route. For the same price as a rulebook, I got free minis to learn how to paint, free scenery, and a smaller version of the rules to carry around. Even though I play Guard, I may get the new boxed set just to get the opdated rules and to add some Marines to the ones I already have. Plus it'll be fun to try painting some orks, even though I don't plan to use that army.

oops, this was supposed to be in the main section. I apologize!

don_mondo
21-03-2008, 16:35
Probably both. Assuming they follow the same format as the 4th ed books, there will be info, rules, scenarios, etc in the hardbound version that are not in the small box set version.

EVIL INC
21-03-2008, 19:01
I will get the hardback.
I really really enjoy the extra info, details, fluff ect that are in the hardbacks. I dont need the models although I am sure I could make money off of it by selling the models on the side.

teh_soldier
21-03-2008, 19:35
Almost definately both.

Rulebook because I like the big versions more than the small, style as well as the reasons listed above.

Boxed set because I play both Orks and Marines, and the small rulebook becuase I play in tournaments and its easier to carry round/replace.

Mojaco
21-03-2008, 20:46
Both for the same reasons as teh_soldier.

t-tauri
21-03-2008, 20:49
Off to the fifth edition section. Please look where you're posting. ;)

Ozendorph
21-03-2008, 21:07
If the new box set is similar to BFSP in terms of quality and value, then I'll be getting both the box and the hardback book.

Lord Malorne
21-03-2008, 21:10
Both. Will need to learn the new rules which may take like a week so i can play them about two months before the box comes out, though i collect both armies and want a small rule book so will have to plumb for both :D.

Lord Cook
21-03-2008, 21:29
Hardback version for me. No question. I like the fluff.

Luthien
21-03-2008, 21:31
Yes, i'll get the new book. It helps to have a copy of the rules incase of disputes and the fluff and artwork in the rulebooks is usually good.

Inquisitor_Eljer
21-03-2008, 21:52
I'll pick up at least the BRB, and maybe the starter set if I can see myself playing either Space Marines or Orks in the future.

MrBigMr
21-03-2008, 23:25
Hardback one. I doubt the package will have anything I'm after. Besides, I like all the extra stuff in the big rulebooks.

Kalec
21-03-2008, 23:28
Boxed set. I play marines, and I can trade the orks for more.

Azzy
22-03-2008, 00:18
Both. I want the hardback, but I also want the minis in the boxed set (the floppy book is just icing on the cake).

Bloodknight
22-03-2008, 00:29
Both, I guess. I want to start a small Ork force anyway and after over 10 years in the game, I guess it is time to own a few loyal Marines, too.
But I cannot let a hardback go when I see one, too.

Kulgur
22-03-2008, 00:33
Book. Always book. I have little interest in the models and a hardback is handy for beating people over the head if they don't follow the rules (plus the sense of irony for beating a rules breaker over the head with a rulebook is delicious)

imweasel
22-03-2008, 03:32
I'll wait for the boxed set.

Bang for the buck!

Ravenheart
22-03-2008, 10:28
Hardcover book.

I'd only go for the boxed set if it has some really good terrain in it.

Varath- Lord Impaler
22-03-2008, 10:35
Book, i love the artwork. Also its good for hitting.

Huw_Dawson
22-03-2008, 11:18
Both, because then me and the gaming groups around here will have played a good few 5th Edition Games before the box set come out, which everyone will get. Hell, I might get two boxes for the hordes of minis inside!

- Huw

Dreachon
22-03-2008, 11:29
Hardback, unless they make sure there's a lot of good stuff in the starterset.

Chem-Dog
22-03-2008, 12:05
I bought the Macragge set just for the crashed Aquilla, when my kids want to paint a model we use the Macragge models (my eldest son is 8 this year and well keen :D) it gives us a nice Father/Son activity, so a few extra models would be good.
I did come to value the small rulebook, pop it in the top of your army case with the Codex with no hassle.

Both versions of V-ed for me please :)

Dragonlv8
22-03-2008, 12:21
il buy the box set, more marines and im sure my friend would like some orks, once ive painted them in his colours :)

but he will have to pay...

max the dog
22-03-2008, 15:19
I'll probably buy the big book for the extra's that are always in the back. Later on I'll get the portable mini book that won't crush mini's.

Since I don't care to collect another army I'm not too interested in either. Unless a collectable figure that's truly awesome is in it. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. I wish GW would release multiple versions of the 5th edition starter box. One with Orks vrs Crimson Fists and few others with different scenario's and army's. I know bean counters in the GW accounting department would scream on how wasteful it is and would never additional devote shelf space for more than 1 version I see it differently. It would make each version collectable and much more likely that people like me would buy more than 1 box set.

I loved the crashed Aquilla in the Battle of MyCrack set so much that it was the first thing I painted out of that box. I do hope that GW sees fit to put something similarly cool in the next beginners box set. Of course I may wait a few months for things to cool down a bit before buying it on ebay. Crashed Aquilla's can be had for little more than 1$.

Zowy
22-03-2008, 15:36
Boxed set only, why whould I want 2 sets of the same rules? I have all the fluff I need from 15 years of revisions.

lymor
22-03-2008, 17:00
Just the hard cover Rule Book.

jason_sation
23-03-2008, 15:11
Boxed set only, why whould I want 2 sets of the same rules? I have all the fluff I need from 15 years of revisions.

yeah, it seems like I can get most of the fluff just from the internet. I do wish I had the BGB for the Kill Team rules, but I don't want to spend 50 bucks for that.

Marrak
24-03-2008, 08:02
Hardback definitely for the extra stuff.

Maybe the boxed set; totally depends on what the terrain looks like, the little book is just an added bonus.

Killgore
24-03-2008, 12:41
Id buy the hardback, i like having these books, they go nicly on the shelf and the extras included are worth the extra bit of cash

depending on how impressed i am with the boxed set i might purchase that at a latter date after its been released

Danjester
24-03-2008, 13:00
Def getting the HC book when it comes out, may very well get the box set depending on the quality of the models and suitability for a non-Ultrasmurf marine army.

marv335
24-03-2008, 13:08
Since the hardback will be out a few months before the box, I'll pick it up straight away so I can play. I'll wait and see what the contents of the box are like before I commit to it.
As I have both Ork and SM armies, I'll probably pick it up. I certainly want the small rulebook.
It's just so much easier to transport to games.

SanguinaryDan
24-03-2008, 14:59
Got to have them both so I can add it to the collection of overpriced, hardbound rule sets lining my shelves.;)

Besides, having both means you never have to fear leaving that little book lying around.

Oligarch
25-03-2008, 13:40
Both, definitely. I need the big one for all the fluff and extra good bits, and the small one for ease of access during combat. And of course, the fact that there are Orks in the box makes that purchase an absolute necessity. Plastic Deffkoptas, WOOO!

/Oligarch

mattjgilbert
25-03-2008, 13:50
Since the hardback will be out a few months before the box, I'll pick it up straight away so I can play. I'll wait and see what the contents of the box are like before I commit to it.
As I have both Ork and SM armies, I'll probably pick it up. I certainly want the small rulebook.
It's just so much easier to transport to games.What marv said ^... saves me typing ;) It's good to have both books, one for completeness, one for practicality.

NSHoss
25-03-2008, 16:53
Both as well, the BGB for the rules when they come out, the box as I play both marines and orks.

xv89_crisis
25-03-2008, 16:53
You spelled rulebook wrong. :)

I'm gonna get the box set thing, it's more bang for my buck!

Codsticker
25-03-2008, 16:57
I may not get either. Just about everyone in our group buys the hardcover book- there is really no need for there to be 4-5 floating around the table. I may buy the box set if it is as good a value as it was in 4th..

Putty
25-03-2008, 17:00
i'll just try and bum the starter box rulebook cheap from somebody (or somewhere).

In this age of a globalised economy, you have to cut costs in everything you do.

xD

40kdhs
25-03-2008, 18:28
i'm only interested in the new 'mini' rulebook because it's easy to carry. I bought a 'mini' fantasy rulebook by buying another guy 1 diet coke.

Vic
25-03-2008, 18:58
Hardback, and 2-3 starter sets (modus operandi with me and 40k Editions).

NotElite
25-03-2008, 20:15
Photocopy of the hardback, then I'll probably buy the smal book off ebay from someone like Vic who has 3 extra copies.

That is assuming my group even bothers to go with 5th edition.

lachlin
25-03-2008, 20:18
Boxed set if it comes with the orks like the rumors say...

Lord Malorne
25-03-2008, 20:29
Boxed set if it comes with the orks like the rumors say...

It damn well better! no more Dark Eldar or Tyranids...some proper orky models is what we need.

kishvier
26-03-2008, 00:22
I'll buy the boxed set and sell the models I don't want to keep.