PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs against Empire

vardek
21-03-2008, 16:48
hey guys!! I have a problem or better said a question!!

could you help me pleas:confused:

I want to play against Empire with my Dwarfs but the problem is that I have posted my armielist many times in differend forums everybody said that this is a nice list or it is a good list!! but I lost two times against the empire!!

Hopefully you can help me!

I play:

a runelord on anvil of doom

thane =>Army Standard Bearer

Masterengineer

20 Clanwarriors+ shield and Command+ shield

20 Clanwarriors+ shield and Command+ shield

10 Quarreller

10 Thunderer

10Thunderer

15 Ironbreakers + Command

1 Cannon

10 Miners

10 Miners

2 Organ Guns

I trie to play typically for Dwarfs!! I wait and shot!!:D
but the two troups miners jump out and trie to attac the Cannons and the thunderrers of my enemy with the help of the anvil of doom!!

hopefully you can help me

heretics bane
21-03-2008, 19:46
Id drop the extra thunder unit for maybe an extraunit of warriors or slayers? so what are their tactics and typical armie lists? we cant really help unless we know what where up against

vardek
22-03-2008, 20:07
He will play much Troopers and Handgunners and Greatswords!!
one or two Hellstorm Rocked Batterys and I think much much cannons!!
then Theogonist Volkmar (Cannon fodder if you ask me!!)

i think that he will play very much to shoot!! and the shity thing is that i think he protects his Grandswords with the cheap troopers while I cant shoot them all in the time while he comes to me and then when he is her the Grandswords will find their way through my defence!!

Iīm not affraid of him but i donīt know exactly what I should do!!

I could play just thunderrers with command and shield and i will shoot his ass round the World!! but that is not funny!! I just want to have a "FAIR" game (and in the end I`m going to win)
the only< thing what Iīm affraid of is that he knows what I will do and that he will react!! (too fast for my short dwarf feeds)

heretics bane
23-03-2008, 13:24
Any knights? as for his troops, empire troops are mostly terrible compared to the are rock hard dwarfs.

For his altar on wheels(volkmar) cannon/organ and/or vast amouts of thunder shots should blowit to peices.

Try and fit in another thane if you can and make him extra killy(lots of attacks etc.) slap a rune of brother hood on him and he can pop up with a unit of miners, combined with your anvil allowing them to move fast get him stuck into his weak handgunners.

Then get your ironbreakers stuck into his great swords, ill admit theyll take a beating but they'll hopefully punch through, then supported by your normal clan warriors start mopping up!

If your stuck on anything else give us a low down on what your typical gaming table is like(what terrain etc.)

vardek
23-03-2008, 19:22
we play with two pieces of forest, hills in the corners

but the problem is i dont know exactly if he plays this list!!

he could also play 30 Knights in three troups
Kurt hellborg
2 or three kannons
an som wizzards and a hellblaster and some Handgunners!!

that would be a little bit sh*ty for me!!
and that is the problem!! I donīt know what I should do if he comes with an ass full of Knights!!

rodmillard
23-03-2008, 19:54
Either way, consider using a bolt thrower with one of the +1 STR runes (sorry, haven't got my book to hand), and put your master engineer with it. His artillery will probably focus on your cannon as the biggest threat, and then you can punt the war-altar with a S7, hit on 2+, d6 wounds attack. If he goes knight heavy then bring one of your miner units on from the flank: he will either turn his knights to deal with them (opening up a lovely BT shot into the side of the unit) or you can charge him in the flank with tin openers ... I mean pick axes ;)

heretics bane
27-03-2008, 19:53
Bolt throwers! one seems pointless when two take up one special slot

wizzbang_tps
28-03-2008, 18:08
Either way, consider using a bolt thrower with one of the +1 STR runes (sorry, haven't got my book to hand), and put your master engineer with it. His artillery will probably focus on your cannon as the biggest threat, and then you can punt the war-altar with a S7, hit on 2+, d6 wounds attack. If he goes knight heavy then bring one of your miner units on from the flank: he will either turn his knights to deal with them (opening up a lovely BT shot into the side of the unit) or you can charge him in the flank with tin openers ... I mean pick axes ;)S7 will actually outright kill the chariot.

I think you should lay down a full gunline (including the 2 organ guns) supported by Thorek (should be no problem if he fields the special pope-mobil). Support this with the 2 miner units you have and deploy in one of those corner hills you told about and I see no reason to loose really. Don't forget to take the 5+ WS against missle fire banner if you deploy in a tight formation.

cool avatar btw :)

vardek
28-03-2008, 18:32
thanks a lot!! that should help me against him!!

Conotor
29-03-2008, 02:54
If he has more shooting then u and hangs back, your handgunners won't be able to shoot untill they move forwards. Take more quarrelers.

rodmillard
29-03-2008, 15:03
[QUOTE=wizzbang_tps;2476581]S7 will actually outright kill the chariot.

QUOTE]

I wasn't sure if the popemobile had some kind of special rule preventing that, as I don't play with or against empire very often, but even if it does the odds are the d6 wounds will do the job ;)

But yes - if you can spare the points take a pair (I normally give both rune of penetrating and then have one with the rune of burning as well)

GapingLotus
31-03-2008, 00:22
Gunline with Thorek is no fun for anyone so if you want a fair game then that is out of the question.

With your list... drop one unit of Thunderers and give remaining Thunderers and Quarrellers shields. Bump Ironbreakers up to 20 - I like to give these Rune of Stoicism - and maybe consider replacing with Hammerers (with shields) for a bit more punch.

You could also think about swapping one unit of Miners for a unit of 10 Slayers to act as a speed bump / tar pit and I always like to take a champion with Steam Drill. Definitely try and fit in a couple of Bolt Throwers both with Rune of Penetration and one with Rune of Burning too (maybe replace your cannon with these two). Maybe swap an Organ Gun for a Gyrocopter for march blocking - steam gun can do some decent damage against common empire troops too - but this is personal taste.

Finally, what are you equipping your BSB with? I would either go for a full offensive army with Strollaz rune (since you already have Anvil) or have him take Runes of Swiftness/Cleaving/Fury/Stone to give a nasty surprise to your opponent.

Thanous
31-03-2008, 19:31
It seems as if your tactics may be constant while your opponent is always changing things up. I'd suggest you steal from their book. Load up on some combat troops. Keep some miners to go after his warmachines and maybe grab a gyrocopter to go warmachine hunting. I also highly recommend the Rune of Dismay against Empire. With their average leadership, it can really stub their toes.

Your core dwarf warriors will be difficult to kill with their 4+ save and To 4 against handgunners. Your core troops are better then his. At 11 pts a pop, you could even throw great weapons in there in case he comes in with knights. There's still room for a few warmachines. Bolt throwers are a great option. I just think that people forget how hard dwarfs with their feet on the ground can be.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
31-03-2008, 23:03
hammerers wouldnt be bad with high strength and stubborn. Longbeards can be nasty too. make sure to keep your flanks covered. have you tried a gyrocopter? Great for march blocks. Scouts can march block well too. try to get a lot of static combat res because , imo, dwarfs do not have much hitting power.

vardek
03-04-2008, 17:04
That was a bad joke!!!

I want to see what survifes after a close combat with dwarfs!!

But I see that in Great Britan are much bad guys!!:p

heretics bane
04-04-2008, 19:28
hammerers wouldnt be bad with high strength and stubborn. Longbeards can be nasty too. make sure to keep your flanks covered. have you tried a gyrocopter? Great for march blocks. Scouts can march block well too. try to get a lot of static combat res because , imo, dwarfs do not have much hitting power.

What!? dwarfs have a huge amount of hitting power! they'd have to give us that since we alreadty get held back with our stumpy legs.....

Dead Man Walking
05-04-2008, 01:20
You are being gimped by that fat bloke standing on the anvil. Seriously your spending 500+ points for one effect on a model which COULD blow itself up and remove itself from the game. You could be fielding 3 units of warriors, 5 cannons, 2 units of hammerers, a really nice standard bearer, far more artillery, ect ect.

My main suggestion against his artillery is a banner that gives all dwarves in 6" a 5+ ward save to shooting and magic.

Bolt throwers with upgrade engineer and penetrating. You field one with rune of immolation and set it on the other side of the table, if he goes after it and beats it in combat you nuke it and waste what he sent over to get it and if he doesnt go after it you get lots of flank shots that hit on 3's or 4's.

You can also field hammerers with immune to fear & terror + rune of take break test on 1d6. Thats an auto pass, let his grandswords fly into that (You can take a character with rune of challenge to force him into that unit if your savy.) and unless he can do 20 wounds he isnt going anywheres, then you counter charge with anything besides a gyrocoptor in the flank and you should be solid. (US 5). Fight with hand weapon shield 90% of your fights as hammerers only stay around as long as there are hammerers. I only suggest using great weapons when you are charging something that is tough 5+ like a stegadon.

Another thing you can do is take a character who has a strikes first weapon, grandswords hit hard but they cant take hits. You put the strikes first with +1 str and hitting +1 and your going to cut down 3-4 of his front line.

Longbeards are good because with hand weapon shield they are ws 5 str 4 as 3+. Put a runesmith with great weapon in here and its butt kick time. (espeacially if they are counter charging.).

Last but not least and I mean no insult, it may be the generals on the table winning the game. I am by far no rookie and have taken home lots of trophies from tourneys but I get my butt kicked on a regular basis by people who are just better generals than me, the "I plan my chess moves out 14 moves ahead of time." types of guys.