PDA

View Full Version : Tactical sliding?

Evil-Lite
21-03-2008, 23:00
So off I went to a new gaming club and played a game of VC vs VC with an opponent I have never played before (or a club I have never played in either). Situation arose where he had Black Knights to my flank and just moved Blood Knights to the same flank of the unit of skeletons. The unit of skeletons had an impassible piece of terrain guarding 50mm of their flank. So I turn the unit of skeletons so they get frontal charged and my champion is the only thing the Blood Knights can get into contact with, my BSB hides behind the impassible terrain (and in the unit). I am looking at +8 combat res (3 ranks, mass, banner, warbanner, BSB, Vamp +1 CR). Even a frontal charge from both I should win because the Blood Knights will only be able to do 1 wound max (go go sacrificial champions).

So the other player charges his Black Knights at a unit behind the skeleton unit (and yes my skeleton unit is in the way). Frenzy then charges the Blood Knights into my skeletons. He declares sliding and I have to slide my entire unit to maximize his models. His unit of Black Knights are now clear to charge the unit behind the skeletons and get a flank charge.

Add insult to injury, his Blood Knights decimate the skeletons (20 wounds) and over run into the unit the black knights where attacking. He then slides his black Knights down to maximize the Blood Knights models.

Having never played this way before, I was wondering if this is using tactical sliding or abusing the sliding rules to your advantage? Of course if I had not slide 75mm+ to maximize his units I would have wiped out his unit of blood Knights with CR.

mad dog
21-03-2008, 23:07
Doesn't sound right to me - did you ask him to show you that section in the rulebook?

devolutionary
21-03-2008, 23:21
Keep in mind that the order in which you declare charges is the order in which they must be applied (you indicated that the Black Knights declared first, then the Blood Kinghts, but the Blood Knights moved first). The wording in the Frenzy rules is interesting, in that it says they "will automatically make [their] charge move". This can be read as move immediately or they will make a charge move without any interference. Truth be told, I'm inclined to the latter, if only because they are declaring a charge in the declaration step, so I don't see why they shouldn't be moved in the move step. Eh, either way...

Page 21, "Aligning the Combatants" clearly states that the attacker must align their unit to you, not the other way around, unless it is impractical to move the attacker. The wording though, "it is acceptable to realing the charged unit as well (or instead)", strikes me at decidedly optional in tone.

Crazy Harborc
21-03-2008, 23:41
Around here, you move the charging units in the same order you declared the charges in. That was/is anytime two or more charges are declared in a turn. It's also at the local GW, local indies, indies in other states, tournies, GDs or whatever.;)

devolutionary
21-03-2008, 23:51
It's the rules by the book too ;) Frenzy is the one I'm not too clear on.

Eigilb
22-03-2008, 00:22
Page 21, "Aligning the Combatants" clearly states that the attacker must align their unit to you, not the other way around, unless it is impractical to move the attacker. The wording though, "it is acceptable to realing the charged unit as well (or instead)", strikes me at decidedly optional in tone.

Note that the section of Aligning Combatants is not clearly specified in the Rulebook, but states that there are further examples on their website.

theunwantedbeing
22-03-2008, 00:33
Your not allowed to slide a unit aside to let another get into combat or increase the number of models that would normally be allowed to fit before the sliding.

eg.
A = skellies
B = Black knights
C = Blood knights

_____CCCCC
BBBBB
AAAAAA

BBBBBCCCCC
____AAAAAA

You cannot do that...its blatent cheating.
It should look more like:

BBBBBCCCCC
AAAAAA

So the blood knights get very few in combat.

I think that's the sort of thing you are asking, if it isnt can you provide a diagram? It's tricky to visualise.