PDA

View Full Version : Strigani themed 2.5k

nurgle_boy
22-03-2008, 00:59
Strigani themed 2.5k

Vampire lord- Infinite hatred, supernatural horror, summon ghouls, ghoulkin, Cadaverous
Curiass (representing sheer hard-to-kill), crown of the damned (as previous, and madness
depravation), sword of kings (talons), scroll, extra level=445

OR

Vampire lord- Infinate hatred, supernatural horror, summon ghouls, ghoulkin, cadaverous
Curiass, sword of battle (talons), crown of the damned, helm of command, extra level=440

His purpose is that of army general. in theory he doesnt die easily at all, is a terror
causer if all else fails, and supports the ghoul aspects of the force like the other
characters of the force. the ghoulkin power also gets his minions to combat (where they
have the edge over skele units, with the bulk of attacks, ranks, outnumbering, compared
to their lack of survivability against shooting) The problem comes with choice of magical
gear. Do i take killing blow, to stick him against characters and other hard units, as he
will be accompanying the grave guard (strigani that remained sane... ish. explained later),
or do I give him the extra attack, but the incredebly usefull helm of command (which on a
ghoul unit, i can see being devastating when coupled with vanhels dance...). I'm musing over
powers as well, but i think these fit best...

Vampire- Infinite hatred, summon Ghouls, Dispel scroll (repped by sheer force of will)=165

Vampire- Infinite hatred, summon Ghouls, Dispel scroll (repped by sheer force of will)=165

This pair are there to support the ghoul units, add some hit to them, drop characters, and
generally fulfill the support role... I'm still toying with them a little, but im a bitch
for symmetrical armies, and the pair fill this role. Being vampires, they also chuck the
extra dispel dice in, so the army can pack a bit of punch with magic.

Vampire- flying horror, summon ghouls, scabscrath=175

OR

Vampire- Hunter in the dark, summon ghouls, talisman of the lynci, scabscrath=180

This guy is the warmachine killing freak, march blocker (if the first, and with fell bats)
and disruptor by terror. The second option does the same thing, but can retreat to join a unit
if need be, although i think the first is the nicest option.

965 max

The characters rack in at a little under 1k, but generate a hefty power and dispel pool of-
P=8 D=7, with 2/3 scrolls if things get nasty. enough to halt even magic heavy armies, and dominate
the phase, when coupled with the corpse carts. they also are hitty in combat, and support the army
as a whole, allowing me to swell the ghoul units as needed with 3+cast invocations. if I can pull of
vanhels (the only problem is getting it...) large units, they pump out some serious hits.

23 Ghouls with Ghast=192

23 Ghouls with Ghast=192

These are the block units, starting 6 wide, with a character in each, starting up to 20" onto the
board before the game. they are hitty in combat, but only have the average 3 static combat res, 4
if they outnumber. they are tough though, and against S3 opponents they should not die as quickly...

12 ghouls with ghast=104

12 ghouls with ghast=104

12 ghouls with ghast=104

12 ghouls with ghast=104

These guys will sit ready to be bolstered up on turn 1 or 2, and can also cover flanks, with their fairly
good toughness. if need be, they can also act as meatshields if for some reason, i have not raised any zombies
(ie freak wounds on the general, devastating miscasts etc)

2Xcorpse cart=150

These help me dominate the magic phase further, and also help the ghouls, and other units with combat,
allowing them to hit before being turned to smoosh. for reference, they will be modelled up as caravans,
with at least one being based on the mordheim plague cart. adds to the strigany feel...

5 dire wolves=40

5 dire wolves=40

They are for march blocking, speedbumping, and general sacraficial usefulness.

4 fell bats=80

Flyers. i need say no more... they never flee, but they cannot feigned charge, which is a minor disadvantage...

13 Strigani caravan guard (grave guard) with great weapons, and full command, with banner of strigos=234

This unit, with the general in, makes for a 2 ranks of 7 unit, hitty, but lacking... hefty in points also... may
end up dropping them for something more useful, although if i can sustain them with magic, they will work well if
supported...

Black coach=200

This will be the coach of a dearly departed, high ranking strigoi, being carted around by a strigani leader.
Its a black coach. it hits hard, but I am unsure as to whether to swap it for a varghulf...

hefty on points, and not so massive on power, but it is these units that add to character, so are an important part
of the army...

This totals at a maximum of 2509 depending on character coices, but i will most likely have to drop a musician
from the caravan guard unit, or drop them altogether for more ghouls...

Anyway, its past 1am, i'm tired, and beggining to type backwards, but some input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, NB.

siphon101
22-03-2008, 01:13
While I like it, I'm unsure how (without heavy conversion) it's really a Strigani themed army. Frankly, if you swap the ghouls with some skeletons, it's really almost a Sylvanian army.

I don't find black coachs, grave guard or corpse carts to be very "strigoi" like.

I would honestly drop the grave guard, corpse cart and black coach, add two varghulfs and use the points left over to bulk up your ghoul units.

nurgle_boy
22-03-2008, 08:54
While I like it, I'm unsure how (without heavy conversion) it's really a Strigani themed army. Frankly, if you swap the ghouls with some skeletons, it's really almost a Sylvanian army.

I don't find black coachs, grave guard or corpse carts to be very "strigoi" like.

I would honestly drop the grave guard, corpse cart and black coach, add two varghulfs and use the points left over to bulk up your ghoul units.

Oh, thats the odd part. I didnt explain it right. Rather than strigoi (argh, we're big and gribbly and monstrous!), its Strigani (the still living humans that are loyal to strigos. they're like gypsies, in that they travel around in caravans (with the corpse carts and black coach representing fell enchantments on said caravans and wagons)). The grave guard however, I am still musing over to be honest... as much as I would like a human unit there, they dont quite fit, and there isnt a suitable unit to represent them really. The problems with themed armies are a pain, no?

I was undure about the ghoul unit sizes as well, but I figure, with the 'summon ghouls' power, I should be able to bolster the units nicely within a few turns, although with the slight lack of power dice, i'm beginning to doubt this...)
Anyway, thanks for the input. Any idea about which characters to go for though?

EDIT: oh, and heavy conversion is my thing ;)

koningswulf
22-03-2008, 09:31
I liked some of the ideas and conversion you had.
I am doing a strios theme army as well.
Albeit I am more into the Ghoul, bats and beasts approach,
If you go for a theme dont so much choose whats good but go all out for a theme that really is it. I think youll enjoy that when you do.