PDA

View Full Version : Mannfred Von Carstein 2K VC List

DrakenhofGuard
22-03-2008, 02:46
So i just picked up the new book and am new to Vampire Counts.
I always thought they were amazing so i decided to start with their new release and have just written a list with Mannfred in it, i know there are people out there that will whine:cries: because im using Mannfred but i love the magic he brings to the table.....anyways here is the list

Mannfred Von Carstein 475pts
Barded Nightmare 20pts
Black Periapt 15pts, The Book of Arkhan 35pts
545pts

Vampire 100pts
Dark Alcolyte 30pts, Lord of Dead 15pts
Flayed Hauberk 25pts, Tomb Blade 25pts
195pts

Necromancer 55pts (Invocation of Nehek/Raise Dead)
Corpse Cart 75pts, Balefire 25pts
Dispel Scroll 25pts, Sceptre de Noirot 25pts
Extra Spell 15pts
220pts

10 Skeleton Warriors 80pts
Full Command 20pts
Banner of the Dead Legion 25pts
125pts

14 Skeleton Warriors 112pts
Full Command 20pts
Banner of the Endless Nightmare 25pts
157pts

20 Zombies 80pts
80pts

10 Dire Wolves 80pts
80pts

2x 3 Fell Bats 60pts
120pts

18 Grave Guard 216pts
Great Weapons 18pts
Full Command 30pts
War Banner 25pts
289pts

Varghulf 175pts
175pts

Total:1986pts

Now I plan on using Mannfred in the unit of GG the other Vampire in the larger unit of skellies and the Necromancer in behind my lines casting Raise Dead and Ivocation of Nehek where needed....The dire wolves and fell bats are used to harass war machines flanks etc. They will move together with the Varghulf so they can march. When the GG get into combat the corpse cart will sit in behind and cast the Miasma of Deathly Vigour so they strike first with there Great Weapons.....I plan on raising at least one more unit of zombies and getting the skellies to 25 before I reach combat

any questions and comments are welcome and if i messed up rules pts etc. let me know

DrakenhofGuard

Spirit
22-03-2008, 03:46
manfred can take the staff of sorcery, and yet you have not.. its amazing.

necros tecnically choose their spells at army creation, not before each game. i think..

i dont see anything 10 dire wolves can do that 2 sets of 5 wont do, and they have more flexability imo.

also if manfred is going in the GG you only need 18. looks nicer also i think.

Sarael
22-03-2008, 09:15
If you're going to mount Mannfred, you need a unit of cavalry to protect him. On a mount, he can be picked out from a unit of infantry. With the magic items you've chosen for him, why not have him in the back behind the GG in a skelly or ghoul bunker, boosting up your infantry and causing other mayhem (if you'd taken different magic items he'd need LOS, but I digress). Sure, he'll probably beat most human heroes in combat, but he'd likely fall to most lords geared for combat. Mannfred doesn't want to see combat, he wants to sit in the back boosting your units and making a nuisance of himself, like any good wizard lord. Combat is what other vampires/units are for.

Spirit
22-03-2008, 11:38
1. Manfred has a sword that give him an extra magic dice for each wound he causes. You want him in combat

2. He is five wounds, which he can regenerate in your magic phase, good luck killing him unless its a really tooled up hero, which you GG will killing blow (i find heroes tend to avoid GG units)

3. They changed the "picking out" rule to be for models with US5 or more, Manfred on a horse is US 2 and can no longer be picked out by shooting. And the mount gives him a 3+ save, not to be sniffed at.

Gazak Blacktoof
22-03-2008, 15:51
If you're going to mount Mannfred, you need a unit of cavalry to protect him. On a mount, he can be picked out from a unit of infantry.

Nope, that's 6th edition thinking.

Sarael
22-03-2008, 17:50
OMG, I read the BRB again...

How my entire group overlooked this is mindboggling!

DrakenhofGuard
23-03-2008, 02:54
thx for the comments i just thought that putting Mannfred in the graveguard unit is where a lord/general should be since they are the "bodyguard" unit of the VC.

as to having two units of dire wolves thats just so when they flank they have at least unit strength 5, because i think its the worse when u go to flank and ur less than unit strength 5, i guess its just a matter of playing both ways 2x5 or one block of 10 and seeing which one suits your prefrence

Ooooo and i think ill take your advice and knock the graveguard down to 18 but if i must remember to keep Mannfred in that unit and not switch him with my other vampire

DrakenhofGuard

DrakenhofGuard
23-03-2008, 03:01
so i changed the GG and now they are 18 but i would also like to know what you guys think about my choice of vampire/necromancer and what you think regarding my choice of items on those two characters

aswell i have 14pts still to use but am not sure where to use them

Drakenhof Guard

Gazak Blacktoof
23-03-2008, 10:21
as to having two units of dire wolves thats just so when they flank they have at least unit strength 5, because i think its the worse when u go to flank and ur less than unit strength 5, i guess its just a matter of playing both ways 2x5 or one block of 10 and seeing which one suits your prefrence

DrakenhofGuard

Just to clarify, the entirety of the US 5 required to negate ranks, etc has to be provided by a single unit.

DrakenhofGuard
24-03-2008, 02:42
yes im aware of that but im just saying that it helps to have your flanking unit not starting at US10 where they can easily be shot to US4 its only 3 models for dire wolves 3 wounds isnt very hard.....thats why i would run two units of like 7 so they cannot drop under US5 quickly

tehhelios
24-03-2008, 20:38
Id like to know how you plan to win games with this list, nothing part from the GG can actually kill stuff and there is only so much a m4 unit can do.