PDA

View Full Version : MathHammer: Trickster's Pendant

Joe Cool
22-03-2008, 07:44
Hi,

For 2000+ points armies I like to have an archmage as a 'scroll caddy'. With just one character I can get a good magic defence and an adequate offence.

The Trickster's Pendant (forces opponent to re-roll miscast results) seems like a great item for defence, but has anyone calculated is it really worth 30 points? Or does anyone have extensive experience on the item? Against magic heavy opponent (except lizardmen) you double your chances of getting a good result from your point of view, and miscasts happen quite often anyway.

So what are your opinions and experiences? Trickster's Pendant or another nasty arcane item, or just 5 scrolls?

Yehoshua
22-03-2008, 08:15
Probably not worth it unless they are casting on four dice without miscast protection...in which case you probably don't need it anyway.

WhiteKnight
22-03-2008, 16:18
Lately at my mighty empires campaign at my local GW, A LOT of veteran players have been rolling miscasts like crazy. This one guy casted Gaze of Nagosh and miscasted both attempts and had the came casting roll as the first miscast lol. I might consider using the Trickster's pendant to get some damage off of their mages. Especially Vampires since all characters can be mages.

winkypinky
22-03-2008, 16:53
I have only used the pendant 4 times. Once in a 2k game were I thought it would be good against 20+ PD tzeentch, It was OK.. . he had 2 miscasts during the game, and the pendant "killed" his lord. The 3 other times have been in 4k+ games. And in those it has been really great, since with a lot of mages in larger battles (which often happens when you play combined armies) it was really good. Since it gives you a very good chance, if he miscasts, that his magic phase will end right there.

Eigilb
22-03-2008, 23:29
Does dispell Scrolls cost 20pts now? This is the second post I've seen today that suggests it? not 25pt anymore?

W0lf
22-03-2008, 23:34
thats high elves only.

And why oh why take 5 scrolls?

2 scrolls 3 power stones is so much more effective.

use stones to cast drain magic and life is sweet.

GodHead
23-03-2008, 02:23
Actually, Drain Magic combined with the Pendant could be very effective. By making spells have higher required casting costs, you are, in effect, forcing your opponent to use more dice.

When he uses more dice, the chance of miscasting increases, and the Pendant makes those miscasts worse.

Could be viable.

WhiteKnight
23-03-2008, 05:13
That combo may be used by me in a future game. I may be making some opponents mad. Except dwarfs lol.

Joe Cool
23-03-2008, 14:03
@W0lf: Tournament armies around here are often magic-heavy, and High Elves particularly can seldom afford to lose a unit to enemy magic. Hence several scrolls. Maybe five would be too much, but with only four dispell dice it's a good safeguard to have.

@GodHead: That's a good point. Didn't think of it, because High Magic is usually not the lore of my choice. Also, it requires succesful casting of Drain Magic, which might be difficult agains other magic heavy armies. But I think I'll give it a try.